OTTAWA DRONE PILOTS

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Has anyone flew in the ottawa area, particularly around the parliament hill area..if so did you encounter any issues with police or any other law enforcements. I wanna do some shots of the hill area but don't want to be fined.. thanks in advance.

Parliament hill is a NFZ. The Ottawa river must be really good to video these days.

How about behind the hill over the ottawa river ..how can anyone do anything with these ridicules laws. Very frustrating!!

I would stay clear of the hill, the RCMP are present all over the place and as nice as they may be I would not try to test them.

Parliament hill is a NFZ. The Ottawa river must be really good to video these days.

There is great footage.

But:

1ee7ba4e5272ce8790db0eede8a237bb.jpg

Reactions: Erised
There is great footage.

But:

1ee7ba4e5272ce8790db0eede8a237bb.jpg
That's good advice, I would stay clear of built up area and I bet you could find some pretty nasty rapids going west. Check google earth and there is some nice ones around Renfrew. I did some white water rafting many years ago at Wilderness tours, in the days a 4mp camera was a big one and my water proof camera was a disposable Kodak. lol

I did some white water rafting many years ago at Wilderness tours, in the days a 4mp camera was a big one and my water proof camera was a disposable Kodak. lol

I did the same trip with the same camera and the same waterproof capability!

I was just talking with people the other day... sure, the running joke these days is people take gazillions of pics with phones but never look at or print/display them, but at least you have and can find them if you want them.

You think I can find those pics of the whitewater tour?

AirMap:
aa368c0cc5bbde3ee5af459832ec80a6.jpg

The dark blue dot in the middle is "Parliament Hill - Special Use Airspace"

The yellow circles are Rockliffe Airport and Civic Hospital.

Zoomed out:
4ca61e32708a9fd614a70205544f45b2.jpg

The dark circle at Parliament Hill is in the "Ott" of Ottawa.

I certainly wouldn't risk it and especially not right now.

IMHO putting a drone in the air at, near, or within LOS of Parliament Hill right now, with the Transport Minister's current interim order in effect and a month before new legislation is expected, and a day after the Minister made a special statement regarding drones, is drone suicide and could irreparably alter the hobby as a whole.

As an Ottawa resident already struggling with the tight new restrictions, I truly hope you don't.

Don't worry I'm not one of those idiots who ruins it for the rest of us.
Once again ridicules rules!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
Flying anywhere in that area is tricky even in the Renfrew, Arnprior and Pembroke area as there are aerodromes and helipads at all the small town hospitals that fit into the new regulations. I haven't flown since the new regulations as I would have to drive substantially out of town to the middle of nowhere ville just to do so. I will wait and see if the restrictions ease up. I personally am hoping for licenses and testing that would allow common sense in fringe areas such as my home town area. We have a helipad that is used by aircraft within 5 km, aircraft keep to 500 ft till in the vicinity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers