Other companies offer step up programs

PixelNinja said:
Comparing the policies of a 15 year old company with $184M in revenues to DJI is SO smart.
I have purchased from EVGA for years and have taken advantage of the step up program more than once.
I would say that's why they have been around for 15 years and are a $184M company.
If dji was smart they would watch and learn.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AmosMoses said:
PixelNinja said:
Comparing the policies of a 15 year old company with $184M in revenues to DJI is SO smart.
I have purchased from EVGA for years and have taken advantage of the step up program more than once.
I would say that's why they have been around for 15 years and are a $184M company.
If dji was smart they would watch and learn.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DJI isn't smart. DJI has an extremely dysfunctional marketing department. Dysfunctional to the nth degree, because they continue to focus on new business and toss old business summarily under the bus. You don't build a successful business by leaving unhappy and ignored clientele in your wake. Especially in 2014 where specialty forums bring a company's ideology into sharp focus.

It would be so much better for them/us if they communicated effectively, spaced their new model introductions over appropriate time spans.. (three months for an incredible upgrade costing $100 would piss off the Good Humor man...) and actually responded to customer problems in a realistic time frame...

And we can't possibly ignore the flawed firmware that continues to seep out of DJI. I had thoughts of moving up to the P2V+ or possibly to the P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal... I've even very seriously considered building a DJI F450...

I'll keep my P2V for as long as it continues to function and manages not to fly away into oblivia. But I'll never purchase another DJI platform.

I've already hit break point with these guys. Trust has been broken, and it's a Humpty Dumpty scenario...

-slinger

I'd say it's because right now DJI doesn't have any real competition in the market, their growth is really only limited by how fast they can market and ship the darn things. They have the luxury right now of not having to take those kinds of steps to differentiate themselves. Even in the video card market, upgrade programs like EVGA offers are usually only available from top-tier manufacturers, who can afford to (...or can't afford not to) go to those lengths to rise above in a fierce marketplace.

If DJI does maintain this aggressive refresh cycle over the long term AND is faced with competition, then you might see something like that.

gunslinger and I are on the same track........... and I agree it is partially due to the lack of competition they do the things they do and basically get away with it and have a steady stream of customers willing to take it up the arse and still stand in line to give them more of their hard earned cash for more abuse. Their customer base totally amazes me and imo as much to blame as the lack of competition.

I really hope when my retailer completes their agreement with DJI that they drop this manufacturers whole product line. It is very non-typical for this retailer to handle a product with these issues. Between the steady stream of defective product returns and the customers over the past 30 days who once they heard about the Plus coming out that decided to stick it to their retailers and return these things for credit toward the new versions I am sure this retailer have about had their fill as well. I know if I was a retailer I would of been ticked......

If the customers actually wanted better products and service they would put their money where their mouth is and refuse to buy from them until they addressed these issues............doesn't look like that is happening ,huh?

Very good point. They have so little competition at the moment that they don't need to be responsive or, for that matter, act responsibly. That says a lot about the mindset of the company. Unfortunately, they're not the only company that's totally and absolutely bottom line driven.

They're as nice to their customers as they have to be. And no nicer. Right now, they obviously don't have to spend much time dealing with "past" customers. You also see a bunch of people on the forums, facebook, twitter, etc. who scrape, bow and praise DJI out of the ignorance of not being run over by them, YET... I find myself chuckling at some of these comments, they're so far off base you have to laugh... :) :D :lol:

Serious competition is on the way. There's a lot of money to be made and a very large customer base for this type of product. DJI has made that very clear to every other company capable of building a "smart" quad. Here comes "Iris", "Flying Eyes", "Hubsan" and I"m sure many others, with similar products. Do you think they're not paying attention to the many DJI unhappy customers? That's just stoking their fire.

Some of these companies are U.S. based, though you can be fairly certain the manufacturing will be done "offshore." Let's see what type of marketing/support mentality these guys display. I think it's very early in the life of this genre and a wait and see attitude might be wise. Wiser than jumping on the next big thing as soon as the gun goes off... ;)

Once again... all of this is IMHO and I'm now jumping off the soap box... :roll:

-slinger

Gunslinger I am sure you have noticed as much as I have that the majority of topics on these Phantom forums are about 1. accessorizing their phantoms which is understandable. 2. Problems, issues, and customer service complaints which other hobbies have some of this but no where to the degree I see on the 2 major Phantom forums. 3. Helpful tips and suggestions... God bless those guy's because without them #2 would be 10x as bad.

You don't see many pic's, video's, places to go or fly, my weekend projects, etc........ these are the type posts one would expect with a product that was built with quality in mind and a manufacturer that is h--- bent on rolling out the next profit making version that will yet again have their customer gutting themselves financially selling todays old news to get tomorrows new POS. I saw a Phantom with 2 batteries and 3 flights sell for $600 that last month sold for $1199 new w/free battery. Anyway I see it that seller lost $600 which is about $200 a flight (heck I can fly to the Key's for that and still have money left over to tie several good ones on). :lol:

I too am sure some company will enter this game and scoop up all the dissatisfied customers they would be foolish not to and all they have to offer is a quality product at a reasonable price with good customer service... Business 101 something DJI only comprehends the profit end of this game....... and in time will be their demise.

JimDE said:
Gunslinger I am sure you have noticed as much as I have that the majority of topics on these Phantom forums are about 1. accessorizing their phantoms which is understandable. 2. Problems, issues, and customer service complaints which other hobbies have some of this but no where to the degree I see on the 2 major Phantom forums. 3. Helpful tips and suggestions... God bless those guy's because without them #2 would be 10x as bad.

You don't see many pic's, video's, places to go or fly, my weekend projects, etc........ these are the type posts one would expect with a product that was built with quality in mind and a manufacturer that is h--- bent on rolling out the next profit making version that will yet again have their customer gutting themselves financially selling todays old news to get tomorrows new POS. I saw a Phantom with 2 batteries and 3 flights sell for $600 that last month sold for $1199 new w/free battery. Anyway I see it that seller lost $600 which is about $200 a flight (heck I can fly to the Key's for that and still have money left over to tie several good ones on). :lol:

I too am sure some company will enter this game and scoop up all the dissatisfied customers they would be foolish not to and all they have to offer is a quality product at a reasonable price with good customer service... Business 101 something DJI only comprehends the profit end of this game....... and in time will be their demise.

+1 in spades...

RCR, Don't forget part of that master plan is to sabotage the retail price on the current model and introduce the new product around the others ones original retail price. This way if one want to sell a used one they have to be at least a couple hundred under the new older versions current price which puts it $5-$600 below what you just paid for it 1-3 months ago. So your options are screw your trusted retailer if you can and are so inclined or bend way over and grab your ankles real tight in the resale auction sites.

The thing I cannot believe is the guy who just took a $600 ghetto whooping on the auction site is excited to add another $700 to it to get a bit more range and a 3 way gimbal but has to settle for the same old crappy images......... I am telling ya these DJI customers are truly unique in todays markets!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

If my company I spent 36 years managing in had this sort of customer base I never would of had the 2 heart attacks, 2 major strokes, and 7 TIA's. I would of spent my time up in my office on the net or reading a paper while getting fat as a pig.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik