OT: If I wanted to sell my P3P -

Reaction score
I am new to quadcopters and Phantoms in particular - got carried away after seeing a TV spot showing the 250 racers zipping in and out of a deserted beat up warehouse. Always wanted to get into RC planes but a control line Viper was about it before family and work got in the way... a lifetime later with more time on my hands and fired up by the racing quads - and being an "ex- pro" photographer - I drifted more to Arial photography - and found DJI!

I bought a P3P about 4 weeks ago - so far its "flown" about 20 minutes in my back garden and got to a whopping 8feet high and traveled - according to the flight record - 132 feet!

I am torn now about all the stories about flyaways, cracks near the motors, DJI taking months to sort out problems -IF they actually accept their own warranty conditions - and a huge bill when they will not.
This on top of trying to find somewhere legal to fly - at my time of life -I do not have the youthful disregard or bravado to just do it and hope to BS my way out of trouble.

So would anybody - preferably in travel distance of Sydney - but I suppose it could be shipped at cost - want to buy this rather than just buy from their nearest store????

I have a P3P as per box content and literally as new - 1 spare battery, 1 hood/cover for mini iPad, BestemUSA prop guards - (not used) 1 none DJI hardshell backpack.. not here yet in transit. 1 ND Taco filter
( Not used) DuBro prop balancer rod ( not yet arrived!) a lens cover and landing gear soft pads ( supposed to stop it bouncing on landing!) and 3 sets of spare props - yet to arrive!

I am inclined to sell the lot - buy a cheapo quad and learn to fly it - rather than rely on the auto and GPS of the Phantom and also get more idea of places to fly without attracting the cops and resident moaning bathubs!
Then in a few months buy an Inspire - which from what I can see... carries none of the build or flyaway problems of the Phantom - however much inflated % of failure figures are quoted.

Unless I bought during an offer period - which none of the dealers mentioned - DJI have increased Australian prices - now: P3P Box kit au$2199 - spare battery au$259.

I am new to quadcopters and Phantoms in particular - got carried away after seeing a TV spot showing the 250 racers zipping in and out of a deserted beat up warehouse. Always wanted to get into RC planes but a control line Viper was about it before family and work got in the way... a lifetime later with more time on my hands and fired up by the racing quads - and being an "ex- pro" photographer - I drifted more to Arial photography - and found DJI!

I bought a P3P about 4 weeks ago - so far its "flown" about 20 minutes in my back garden and got to a whopping 8feet high and traveled - according to the flight record - 132 feet!

I am torn now about all the stories about flyaways, cracks near the motors, DJI taking months to sort out problems -IF they actually accept their own warranty conditions - and a huge bill when they will not.
This on top of trying to find somewhere legal to fly - at my time of life -I do not have the youthful disregard or bravado to just do it and hope to BS my way out of trouble.

So would anybody - preferably in travel distance of Sydney - but I suppose it could be shipped at cost - want to buy this rather than just buy from their nearest store????

I have a P3P as per box content and literally as new - 1 spare battery, 1 hood/cover for mini iPad, BestemUSA prop guards - (not used) 1 none DJI hardshell backpack.. not here yet in transit. 1 ND Taco filter
( Not used) DuBro prop balancer rod ( not yet arrived!) a lens cover and landing gear soft pads ( supposed to stop it bouncing on landing!) and 3 sets of spare props - yet to arrive!

I am inclined to sell the lot - buy a cheapo quad and learn to fly it - rather than rely on the auto and GPS of the Phantom and also get more idea of places to fly without attracting the cops and resident moaning bathubs!
Then in a few months buy an Inspire - which from what I can see... carries none of the build or flyaway problems of the Phantom - however much inflated % of failure figures are quoted.

Unless I bought during an offer period - which none of the dealers mentioned - DJI have increased Australian prices - now: P3P Box kit au$2199 - spare battery au$259.

IMO, if you are considering an Inspire after " you learn to fly" they you should keep your Phantom and not be discouraged by all the "stories"-- 99 percent of the forum is dedicated to helping those with problems or issues and the other 1% are the good experiences. This forum has 25000 members, so say for arguments sake -- all 25000 are having issues-- and there are 500,000 P3's flying around since DJI released it in May-- 4 short months-- that would be 1/2 if 1 percent in this forum with issues. So add another 25,000 with unreported issues or not members of this forum and that is 1%.

Looking at it from a statistical standpoint-- the argument to keep what you have would be very favorable in my humble opinion. At 73 years old, I have found it to be very easy to fly, very easy to learn and a great camera platform. If I can learn it, anyone can.:D:D:D:D-

Hope you hang on and learn to fly and trust it. Any brand or model can and will have issues including the Inspire. Cheers :):):):):)

I am new to quadcopters and Phantoms in particular

This on top of trying to find somewhere legal to fly.
Sounds like the problem is way too much time anticipating and worrying and not enough time flying to get confidence.
Read the forums and focus on scary tales and you get a very unbalanced idea of what it's all about.
The overwhelming majority of flyers don't have those problems and the majority of problems are caused by operator error.
Yes cracks have been a problem for a small number of owners - it seems like it was either a bad batch of shells or overtightening on some.
The majority don't exhibit this issue.
For flying locations, keep out of backyards and look on Google Earth to identify likely spots in your area.
DJI aren't the only place to send a Phantom with problems.
Unless you have a warranty issue, there's no need to send it to them at all.
Independent fixers are likely to be a lot faster and probably cheaper.

No cheap quad will be as easy to fly as the Phantom.
If you have fears on relying on the Phantom and GPS, they are unfounded.
The Inspire is an impressive machine but I wouldn't suggest you rush into buying one.
It's not an ideal first quadcopter. It's huge, heavy and expensive.
It has the same flight programming as the P3 and about as much flyaway risk (extremely low) as the P3 and the same build quality (unless you are comparing it to one of the small number with cracking).

You need to get out to a large open area and put your Phantom up 50-100 feet and fly around and get the feel of it.
Send it out 100 feet and initiate RTH to see how that works.
Give the P3 a proper go and burn through a couple of batteries before you make up your mind.

Sounds like the problem is way too much time anticipating and worrying and not enough time flying to get confidence.
Read the forums and focus on scary tales and you get a very unbalanced idea of what it's all about.
The overwhelming majority of flyers don't have those problems and the majority of problems are caused by operator error.
Yes cracks have been a problem for a small number of owners - it seems like it was either a bad batch of shells or overtightening on some.
The majority don't exhibit this issue.
For flying locations, keep out of backyards and look on Google Earth to identify likely spots in your area.
DJI aren't the only place to send a Phantom with problems.
Unless you have a warranty issue, there's no need to send it to them at all.
Independent fixers are likely to be a lot faster and probably cheaper.

No cheap quad will be as easy to fly as the Phantom.
If you have fears on relying on the Phantom and GPS, they are unfounded.
The Inspire is an impressive machine but I wouldn't suggest you rush into buying one.
It's not an ideal first quadcopter. It's huge, heavy and expensive.
It has the same flight programming as the P3 and about as much flyaway risk (extremely low) as the P3 and the same build quality (unless you are comparing it to one of the small number with cracking).

You need to get out to a large open area and put your Phantom up 50-100 feet and fly around and get the feel of it.
Send it out 100 feet and initiate RTH to see how that works.
Give the P3 a proper go and burn through a couple of batteries before you make up your mind.
This is great info and too the point. I bought the cheapo first and learned that it has to be flown in manual mode because that's all it came with. But it worked. So if you're worried about your P3 then take it out and use it because no cheapo will fly itself home or even hover where you let go of the sticks. You have a great machine, just use it and gain the confidence that you need. Like said above, take it out to the bush where it's wide open and chase some roo's :)

Be aware most of the stories you'll hear on this forum that refer to hardware/software issues, fly always, crashes, etc are more than likely pilot induced.

just take it out and fly it.
get use to it and have some fun.
you can't take it with you.

just take it out and fly it.
get use to it and have some fun.
you can't take it with you.

+1
Find a buddy to fly with.

Just call it what it is, you'd rather have an Inspire1...... but the same limits and restrictions and travel hassles you are worried about with the P3P will be the same on the I1.

I was in the same frame of mind as you at first, I was flying 10 meters up and down in my back garden.so I thought sod this I have not bought it to fly like this and went to a field where I could not get interrupted by anyone, I had a good long 50 meter high flight,got some good pictures and video from my first proper flight and never looked back, I love taking it out to new places now. done 11 flights now and its fantastic and never missed a beat..get out and enjoy it..

Glad you're keeping it. I'm 72 and a newby dji pilot of about a month. Forget the what-if-a-bear-comes potential problems and enjoy flying. [emoji4][emoji39][emoji12][emoji41]

Reactions: lotusteve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik