Osmo Mobile with non-phone camera?

Reaction score
Trying to wrap my brain around a Osmo Mobile.

Why exactly does one NEED to have the Osmo connected to your phone? Why does it NEED bluetooth? All I want it to do is stabilize the device. Thats it. Nothing else. I don't want any other garbage going on. So what is the real purpose of this communication link between the Osmo and the mobile device? My phone has a camera, it has a camera app, it can control all aspects of that camera. So, why then, do I need another app to do the exact same thing?

The reason I am asking is the Osmo Mobile is on sale at B&H right now. And I was curious if it could be used on a non-android and non-ios device, oh, say a 360 camera? Ignore the mounting needs. I can 3D print any mount I need. Obviously other devices can't run any app from DJI (not that I would want to run ANY app from DJI anyway but thats another thread). Possible?

You do not have to use the software or connect the device to the osmo. It will stabilize whatever you put in it so long as it doesn't weigh too much.

So I could put anything on the Osmo, say a RasperryPi camera, and it would stabilize it (within reason I mean). Then why are all the videos on DJI's site insistent that BT4 be on the device and needing to install a DJI app? What does it do? The app I mean.

Any idea of the mass limit of the balanced device? They really don't have any weight restrictions on the DJI site unless I missed it. They list size limits but thats out the window if I print a new holder bracket.

I'm not sure about weight. You do have to do a little balancing to begin with. The app lets you utilize the buttons to start/stop record and for moving timelapses. For the best usage experience is one reason why I think they'd recommend it (along with they want you to adopt their product(s)).

And yes, whatever you can get to fit (go pro camera, rasberry pi)... you can use whatever you want without having to have bluetooth or the app.

Thank you.

Whats the runtime on the Osmo? Yea I know it will vary based on weight and how much correction it does. Just looking for a ballpark figure.

Here is the $50 off at B&H in case anyone is interested.
B&H DealZone

I also found this guy who mounted a GoPro:

I'm not sure. I have 2 batteries and have used it for a ~4 hour period without the need to change the battery. The app does tell you the estimated battery life.

Right, but I won't have an app to use because the camera isn't IOS or Android.

Think I will grab the daily special and an extra battery. Should get unlimited time then since the battery will charge faster than the Osmo can drain it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik