OSHA violations due to YouTube ?

Buk

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of an OSHA citation being issued as the result of a construction video placed on YouTube? Just a casual progress video, that may have coincidentally shown an citable work practice. Not a video with the intent of showing an offense.

I'm guessing a citation cannot be made from a YouTube video, but an inspector seeing a violation on YouTube would make an effort to visit the site in person to make an inspection.

Thoughts?

Sounds legit to me.

An OSHA agent isn't bound by probable cause, etc. I'd imagine if they legally saw a violation (YouTube), they could show up and verify said violation.

Sorry for improper posting, I've been flying over a construction site video'g progress for 8 months with a Phantom 2 H3D2 and this issue has become a discussion item from one of the sub-contractors.

Moderator please move, as you seem fit.

Sounds like you need a bit more control over your subs.

480sparky said:
Sounds like you need a bit more control over your subs.

Not my general, not my subs. No real horse in the race. The project owner is my former employer, I've retired. I've always photographed and video'd projects, but from the ground. From the air seems to raise concerns not expressed before.

No, OSHA has to have a complaint to investigate specific infractions. They can also do audits, and site inspections when they choose, but honestly osha "agents" are stretched thinner than you could possibly imagine, our employees called the 800 number all the time because they got in trouble and wanted to get back at their boss, in 5 years we were inspected by OSHA zero times. I worked safety for a few years at a processing plant, and OSHA compliance was my job.

Anyone wanna explain what OSHA is? Lol

I would imagine location would take a big part of this also. A large city with many things to investigate might be stretched thin while a small town might be easily able to fit in an investigation.

PsychopathRC said:
Anyone wanna explain what OSHA is? Lol
Occupational Safety and Heath Administration. It's a red tape bureaucratic agency that has the power to regulate occupational health and safety. It's the IRS of the occupational safety world in the US.

BuzzBuzzZoomZoom said:
I would imagine location would take a big part of this also. A large city with many things to investigate might be stretched thin while a small town might be easily able to fit in an investigation.
This is also true, some states actually have state run safety administrations that would be far more likely to "inspect" as far as seeing something on a YouTube video and citing based solely on that is pretty unlikely.

aggiesrwe03 said:
No, OSHA has to have a complaint to investigate specific infractions. They can also do audits, and site inspections when they choose, but honestly osha "agents" are stretched thinner than you could possibly imagine, our employees called the 800 number all the time because they got in trouble and wanted to get back at their boss, in 5 years we were inspected by OSHA zero times. I worked safety for a few years at a processing plant, and OSHA compliance was my job.

Now they can sit at home and watch it on video.

How it may work:
Get up, have coffee, watch YouTube, drive to job site, have coffee & doughnut, and know just what to look for.
I'm not thinking they have to wait for some disgruntled employee to make an 800 call.
The more violations they prove, the more income the bureaucratic machine receives.
The fewer folks end up in the hospital.

If we (as a society) weren't so freaking stupid (greedy) to start with, they wouldn't have a job. :eek: Oh my, did I really say that?

Hmm, which side of the fence to be on :?:

IflyinWY said:
aggiesrwe03 said:

Now they can sit at home and watch it on video.

How it may work:
Get up, have coffee, watch YouTube, drive to job site, have coffee & doughnut, and know just what to look for.
I'm not thinking they have to wait for some disgruntled employee to make an 800 call.
The more violations they prove, the more income the bureaucratic machine receives.
The fewer folks end up in the hospital.

If we (as a society) weren't so freaking stupid (greedy) to start with, they wouldn't have a job. :eek: Oh my, did I really say that?

Hmm, which side of the fence to be on :?:

Lol in theory yes, they could initiate a site inspection based on what they see on YouTube, but they cannot cite the company based on what they see in the video (without an investigation). I suppose they probably do have at least one agent that is "super-cop" that might sit at home getting off on safety videos, but all the inspectors I ever met were crusty old men that hated life... Again, I'd attribute inspectors to be more like IRS agents than Street cops. They are paper pushers and auditors not door kickers. So to recap COULD a YouTube video lead to a site inspection, yes probably. Can it lead to a citation without said investigation, no.

On a similar topic though, if you break the law while flying (fly in TFR, trespass, take illegal pics, etc.) then I would worry about local law enforcement knocking on your door asking some questions!!

Thanks for the discussion.

I do know in the right circumstances OHSA does respond rapidly. Have a pregnant employee call. The response is fairly rapid.

I would tell the sub-contractor if they are not breaking any safety rules then they have nothing to worry about.

I recently flew at a construction site (all parties knew) and the workers had to get their safety helmets on quick and they all started working "really hard".
Not only OSHA, but if someone from the company board sees misconduct, someone could get fired.
So do the guys a favor and either tell them in advance or edit them out of the shot.

IflyinWY,
With a horse in your avatar you would really get a kick out of a cartoon I saw in the electrical union hall way back when I built power lines. Some one pictured a horse that after OSHA got done setting it up for safety would make you roll on the ground giggling. I wish I still had a copy of that picture. The best part was a mesh screen around the horse to catch you if/when you fell off. The other funny was what they had at the back of the horse to catch the HS. That cartoon horse was so loaded he would not have gotten very far before he fell over and gave up. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4