OSD on the FC40... and DJI said it couldn't be done

My FDTI USB adapter arrived today ,plugged it into the S-OSd downloaded the ArduCam OSD config tool,and away we went. I changed the display from metric to imperial :mrgreen: ,moved and changed things around the screen. This OSD has three display screens ,you can have one full of stuff and another with just a little info. The third one is blank . If you have an extra channel you can toggle between the three screens otherwise you use the mode button on the board.
I'm working on configuring the battery voltage ,it's off a little.

Damned impressive. Nice work.

How are you finding he voltage reading? is it accurate if you check with a multi meter? Only reason i ask is i have been playing around with minnazaosd and can get within 0.2v accuracy.

Thanks

chimpusmaximus said:
How are you finding he voltage reading? is it accurate if you check with a multi meter? Only reason i ask is i have been playing around with minnazaosd and can get within 0.2v accuracy.

Thanks

I use this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQ ... UTF8&psc=1

Connects to the balance plug.
Right now the S-OSD displays 16.73v the meter displays 16.78v with a 4s Lipo . With the DJI OSD Mini it was right on.
Not a big voltage discrepancy ,but I would like it to be correct. Other than that I'm very happy with this $39.00 Osd.

I'm using the AruduCam OSD ver 2.1.2.0 I haven't found a way to calibrate voltage yet.
I can change it in Naza ,but it still reads wrong. I can change all the display around and the measurements etc.

What app are you using ?
Wayne

chimpusmaximus said:
Thats pretty close but as you say would be nice to be correct.

Not to wander too far off topic, but, Welcome to the Party chimpusmaximus.
What a freaking name. Someday you gotta go to "Off Topic" and tell us how you got there. :lol:

Once again, I throw something out there, or just comment on something and before I know it; it's over my head.
Sorry for being ignorant but, the abbreviations make it really tough for me.

Please continue.

I know how to google what I don't already know. ;)

Chimpusmaximus came about when i started in IT many years ago. When i messed up it was normal big time :)

Wayne

I'm using the same app for config. I have had a good look over the code that is used to compile the firmware. FlightBatt.h has the following which is used as par to the calculations.

#define VOLTAGE_PIN 2
#define CURRENT_PIN 7

#define REF_VOLTAGE 1.1 // INTERNAL: a built-in reference, equal to 1.1 volts on the ATmega168 or ATmega328
#define LOW_VOLTAGE 9.6 // filter start value for 3s LiPo

#define VOLT_DIV_RATIO 15.55 // Vref 1.1V based: This is the start value for calibrating a 16k0/1k1 voltage divider usable up to 4s LiPo

I need to figure out better how these figures actually get used in the calculations. Also different boards have different resistors etc working on the voltage divider.

I did see some other firmware that someone had created on fpvhub but been struggling to get a working registration to get hold of the attachment. Might from that figure out what changes i need.

Overall i believe calibration should be done using a spare channel on receiver to make adjustment on boot. this is not possible if using the standard Phantom setup. https://code.google.com/p/minnazaosd/wiki/Calibrate

Chris

Well, luckily the N1-OSD might produce a Chinese character or 2 but it is simple to calibrate the voltage and once I set it right, it proved to be just as accurate as my Lipo checker. With that respect that the Lipo checker was always connected to only ONE of my batteries, through the balance port. There was no way of telling how the other was doing. I use a 2 battery setup.

chimpusmaximus said:
How do you calibrate on the N1-OSD?

It's the first of the options in the N1 setup menu. I set it to the same value as my Lipo checker.
Only steps of 0.1volt so it's not as accurate as yours unfortunately. But the Lipo checker showed 12.50 so I could set the OSD to 12.5.
It looks like it's accurate enough though.

N1 OSD translated:

(left column)
Battery voltage calibration
Video format setting(PAL/NTSC)
Interface type settting (DJI style/jet/other theme)
Get device height direction (Barometer/GPS)
Direction acquisition device – electronic compas rose
Automatically setup – liter/off

(right column)
Turn off the text display
Restore default settings
Next menu setting (this one for the next menu page)
Drop out

Next page:

(left column)
Battery voltage is set to open
Flight time is set to open
Flight speed setting open
Altitude set to open
Home direction open
Distance to home setting

(right column)
Cumulative voyage set to open
Lifting rate set to open
Latitude and longitude set to open
Set the numer of satelites open
Azimuth setting JI.
a-menu (back to main menu)

Translated with the google translate app for IOS, took picture of menu and used automatic translate :)

OEKA

Some mount inside, some outside.
There's room inside unless you've already added a buncha stuff.

I mounted the video transmitter inside, beside the battery and still have room for a MultiStar 4000.

My FDTI USB adapter arrived today ,plugged it into the S-OSd downloaded the ArduCam OSD config tool,and away we went. I changed the display from metric to imperial :mrgreen: ,moved and changed things around the screen. This OSD has three display screens ,you can have one full of stuff and another with just a little info. The third one is blank . If you have an extra channel you can toggle between the three screens otherwise you use the mode button on the board.
I'm working on configuring the battery voltage ,it's off a little.

Just curious but I wonder how you installed yours? I keep getting a COM port error when I run the software so I am stuck in Metric. Luckily I am familiar since that is all I knew before I had to learn imperial, but still I would like to be able to modify things.

Reactions: dtitus6297
Just curious but I wonder how you installed yours? I keep getting a COM port error when I run the software so I am stuck in Metric. Luckily I am familiar since that is all I knew before I had to learn imperial, but still I would like to be able to modify things.
Hey, I keep getting the Com port error as well on my sosd, trying to modify the settings. Did u ever get yours figured out? Thanks in advance

Hey, I keep getting the Com port error as well on my sosd, trying to modify the settings. Did u ever get yours figured out? Thanks in advance

I shipped it back to China to get reflashed. They said they shipped it back, but I did not get it yet. It lost the flashing somehow. They do not recommend modifying it with the FTDI card unless the connection is secure so I am thinking to solder the connections to the card. It may have been a data transfer that wiped out the info. I am really not sure, but as long as they can reflash it I'm good with that. They did not say how they reflashed it of course.

BTW, I have been using the N1 OSD for a while now. I think if you can pick one up to switch to that one. I bought 2 of them (one for the wife's) and I have not had any issues. I guess I think although cheaper they are more dependable, although I miss the features of the MINI-SOSD.

I shipped it back to China to get reflashed. They said they shipped it back, but I did not get it yet. It lost the flashing somehow. They do not recommend modifying it with the FTDI card unless the connection is secure so I am thinking to solder the connections to the card. It may have been a data transfer that wiped out the info. I am really not sure, but as long as they can reflash it I'm good with that. They did not say how they reflashed it of course.

BTW, I have been using the N1 OSD for a while now. I think if you can pick one up to switch to that one. I bought 2 of them (one for the wife's) and I have not had any issues. I guess I think although cheaper they are more dependable, although I miss the features of the MINI-SOSD.
Thanks for the info, what are the differences that you liked better on the sosd vs the n1osd? Thanks

Thanks for the info, what are the differences that you liked better on the sosd vs the n1osd? Thanks

I liked the loads of customization options, but right now, I like dependable and working better:)

Reactions: dtitus6297

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20