OSD mini is fine, No FPV from Hero3+

Reaction score
I think I have tried everything. I have replaced the black ribbon cable, the gray one, the USB connector on the ribbon cable.
Here is what I have
Black Pearl Monitor/RX
Boscam TS832 TX
Mini OSD
Phantom 2
Hero3+ Black

I can see all of the flight parameters but the FPV is solid black.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeffers

Jeff Clack said:
I think I have tried everything. I have replaced the black ribbon cable, the gray one, the USB connector on the ribbon cable.
Here is what I have
Black Pearl Monitor/RX
Boscam TS832 TX
Mini OSD
Phantom 2
Hero3+ Black

I can see all of the flight parameters but the FPV is solid black.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeffers

Have you tried using it on a normal TV to see if the gopro is outputting?

Don't take this the wrong way, but by chance have you turned on the GoPro? Many people assume it is on, because when you turn on Phantom the front OSD screen turns on and the red LED comes on. When in actuality its just charging.

Before powering up Phantom, first turn on GoPro by pressing the front power button. Then turn on Phantom. You should not see the red LED lit up.

My old P2 didn't feed video thru the 2d gimbal after crash, so I bought a usb to video out cable for around $5 to wire directly in P2 main board to get video to tx. That would also feed a tv with rca inputs, you would have to solder a male rca plug onto the cable. If signal good on tv, and P2/gimbal out of warranty, you could do same mod as I did and get video from gopro to tx by passing gimbal if need be. hope you don't have to go that far, good luck.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-USB-Conn ... 258c7ea10d

That's the connector. Chop up an RCA cable and plug into rca TV. Don't use the mini HDMI as that doesn't test the port.
But before you do all that...

Turn on the gopro first.
Get another gopro and test.

You might save some time..

Another alternative test/upgrade is the part 56 mod (charges and does NOT work on the GOpro4). The hero port is much better in design. The usb/sd is accessible. The camera sits nice and snug, so if you forget your bracket, it will hold very well. It also charges when the phantom is on.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Video-Output ... 20ee71ac77

just finished testing my Hero 3 black with a member on here.

I've been struggling to work out why my FPV has not been working. He plugged his Hero in and it worked crystal clear. Turns out my gopro is stuffed and isnt sending any video out via usb or back port.

Now have to go through the pain of trying to warranty my gopro. :/ hope yours isnt the same.

jmack_89 said:
just finished testing my Hero 3 black with a member on here.

I've been struggling to work out why my FPV has not been working. He plugged his Hero in and it worked crystal clear. Turns out my gopro is stuffed and isnt sending any video out via usb or back port.

Now have to go through the pain of trying to warranty my gopro. :/ hope yours isnt the same.

Have you tried doing a full reset/firmware update?
There is gopro dance to reset. Google it.

No. The Go Pro was reset and no help. I am suspecting the H3 3D as it is brand new from Dronefly. If I have to return this Phantom, this will be the third time.

Try this.. In relation the rear hero port 1.0 h3-3d - Attach the go pro to the gimbal with it off. Turn on the phantom first and wait for the red recharging light on the go pro. If that red light appears, means that there is a connection. Turn on the go pro and see if you get feed.

I find that if the gopro is on first, the feed comes through black with the IOSD overlay appearing.
Another option is to remove the gopro battery and see if that works.

Let us know..

Update:
The Go Pro is the culprit. I tried another cam and the FPV is fine. Awaiting a response from Dronefly. This P2 has been a total nightmare from the MB, to the gimbaL, and now the camera.

Sorry to hear about your GoPro going bad, just got mine returned from warranty and here's what you should know,

To receive a new GoPro you must:
1) call them and go through their troubleshoot process depending on what is defective
2) Have purchased the GoPro less than a year ago
3) Have the receipt of the purchased GoPro or a bank statement stating its purchase and date

Good luck man.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4