Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

ortho-photos...

Discussion in 'Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D GoPro Gimbal' started by DeliriousGimbal, Nov 16, 2014.

1. DeliriousGimbal

I would like to have a shot at bodging up an orthophoto mosaic. For this I really need the GoPro on the gimbal to be pointed directly down, otherwise of course I end up with oblique shots.
    I cannot seem to tilt the gimbal all the way perpendicular. Should I be able to do this? is there a designed-in adjustment for this, or will I have to do some tinkering?

cheers

2. IrishSights

Ortho is better done with a flat field rectilinear lens as the standard GoPro's lens is very fisheye which can cause difficulties in stitching at the very least it will not give a true otho image. There is a 5.4mm replacement lens that can be easily fitted into the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. More difficult to fit to other GP models however.

3. noiseboy72

To answer your question, you just need to ensure your control is calibrated for full movement and that you have not set any movement limits in the software.

4. DeliriousGimbal

Thanks very much both. Yes I know my Hero 3 (white I think, it was second hand) is very fisheye as stock, but I can at least have a shot, and then go for rectilinear lenses if I like what I see....
    ok, I will have to get the quad back on the software to calibrate the gimbal. Thanks.