Orlando Drone Permits and How to Apply??

Reaction score
Orlando recently passed some city-wide regulations that require us to apply for permits in order to use drones in various places. The law is in effect now yet I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where to apply for these permits? Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's an article talking about the new regs:
Orlando passes new drone ordinance, effective immediately

UPDATE:
I finally found the contact info in case anyone is interested:
Sharon Grimes ([email protected])

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauce407
Local film commissioner's office is where to start.

From there it can branch out into many $$$$'s too. FilmLA has some info on their website as to the permit process which starts at $660 per day in Los Angeles now and goes up a lot depending on others who get into the mix like Roads Dept. Monitors (Cops/Rangers/Etc.). Business license if you have none or out of town. Number of people involved. Safety (Fire/Ambulance or EMT on standby.). Even porta-potties hauled in, pumped out to go back onto road, and removed. ACORD insurance paperwork assigned to whomever for several million dollars prior to starting. Been there, and they can price it out of reason easily. I got one from a county road's dept for $1,600 to park my car in a paved pullout for 3 hours (Where anyone else could park for $5/day!) as some sort of encroachment on their easement due to commercial permit issuance. Ridiculous.

Local film commissioner's office is where to start.

Well, in Orlando's case, apparently it resides with the police department. From what I gather, they understand their authority can't supercede the FAA's when it comes to airspace. This seems like a measure to merely be able to write tickets for careless drone operators, which I am totally ok with. And furthermore, it's only $150 annually. I can live with that.

I read Orlando's "ORDINANCE NO. 2016-87". From it I gather it's only effective when you take off / land while the pilot is on city property and then only when within 500' from certain locations and places. Lots of non-city property around like county parks, store parking lots, ...

So be 501' away from said prohibited areas, even if you're on city property, then looks like you'll be ok to take off / land. Notice nowhere I can find, is any language trying to restrict flying over anything. Did I miss it?

For most places like schools, parks, etc, if you get the owners permission then you won't be subject to this law.

And then we get to the part "3) Affirmative Defenses" where it seems to say the if you get a permit, then you can launch / land within 500' of the prohibited areas, but more importantly, "Proof of authorization by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to operate unmanned aircraft in city air space in accordance with federal law constitutes an affirmative defense to any action brought under the provisions of paragraph 2, above."

My "Proof" would be my 107 certificate, a published FAA statement saying it controlled the airspace and perhaps a sectional map and/or a printout of Part 101 and the Public law 336.

If you are going to get a permit, I'd be concerned about section 9 '"Insurance: All applicants for a UAS permit shall furnish proof of insurance of the types and amounts set forth by City Policy and Procedure"

All in all, this new law seems to have very little impact.

Orlando recently passed some city-wide regulations that require us to apply for permits in order to use drones in various places. The law is in effect now yet I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where to apply for these permits? Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's an article talking about the new regs:
Orlando passes new drone ordinance, effective immediately

UPDATE:
I finally found the contact info in case anyone is interested:
Sharon Grimes ([email protected])

Thanks for this, Aaron! I was trying to find this info myself and wasn't getting anywhere.

Hi Guys,

Received this email from the City of Orlando regarding Drone permits:

A permit to fly a drone within city limits is no longer required. You should abide by FAA regulations to fly a drone in Orlando. The permits have been discontinued.

Regards,

Sharon Grimes
Special Event Coordinator
Community Service Officer III
Special Operations Division
Orlando Police Dept.

Reactions: NetDep
Hi Guys,

Received this email from the City of Orlando regarding Drone permits:

A permit to fly a drone within city limits is no longer required. You should abide by FAA regulations to fly a drone in Orlando. The permits have been discontinued.

Regards,

Sharon Grimes
Special Event Coordinator
Community Service Officer III
Special Operations Division
Orlando Police Dept.

Are you able to confirm this is accurate? I just found out about this ordinance and if it is no longer in effect, then I do not have to pay the $150 annual?

Was this the result of any litigation?

Nope. The state passed a bunch of drone laws for the public and government (police, etc). Part of the law states that no municipality or political subdivision in the state can make their own drone regs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4