Ordering new Phantom today

Reaction score
OK - I'm sold... Going to order a Phantom2 with the H3-3D gimbal today from Atlanta Hobby (hope it's ok to name them here). I plan to eventually have FPV with goggles and 7-8" monitor and iosd, along with a nice storage case for all of it.

Since this will be a big investment, I'm thinking I will add the FPV stuff and case later - is there a disadvantage to doing it that way as opposed to just biting the bullet and doing it all at once? I'm still not sure if I want the goggles or monitor first, and I don't know which goggles to go with, or if I should use the DJI video transmitter or a different brand - I guess those are questions for the folks at the shop, but I'd like thoughts here too. I know most of this has been gone over several times in the forum - actually so much it gets confusing.

I'm just excited to be ordering!

i bought the p2 with the h3-3d gimbal about a couple weeks ago. i just received them today.

im planning on flying the quad without the gimbal and any other accesories until i feel comfortable to add them, after that im installing the gimball, iosd (telemetry), avl58 and ill use a 7" monitor, all through the dji hub :)

rctoyguy said:
What is the DJI hub - what does it do?

"DJI FPV hub", it simplifies connections between the Phantom and DJI's gimbal, OSD and Video Transmitter (so no splicing/soldering is required). $12-$15 at most dealers.

rctoyguy said:
I need to quit reading. I just read about a couple of recent fly-aways... Scary as heck. I'd have to jump off a bridge if this thing flies away.

Just be patient and wait for GPS lock before taking off. Fly in GPS mode. That was mostly an early firmware version issue. 3.04 is a good firmware so far.

rctoyguy said:
I need to quit reading. I just read about a couple of recent fly-aways... Scary as heck. I'd have to jump off a bridge if this thing flies away.
Purchase one of the many trackers out there. Gives you a chance to find it IF something bad happens.

Unless they give you a discount for buying everything at once, wait to buy the other stuff until you get some time to practice with the phantom. Learn how to fly well before you load it with more expensive electronics. The only negative is you will not have the flight telemetry on your monitor to look at so don't fly it far away unless you completely understand how 'return to home' works. Remember 'fly-aways' are not 100% avoidable but you can greatly reduce your chance of loosing it by making a pre-flight checklist and using it every time.

BTW the DJI hub is great if you plan on using the DJI transmitter but if you are using something like an ImmersionRC transmitter just use a simple Plug and Play cable

rctoyguy said:

keep reading, and watching every tuto/video available.

today i had my first flight and i only regret buying just one battery (already ordered a second one) about the fly aways, im pretty sure 90% of them are related with human errors, not waiting for enough satelites, or not putting attention at the flight.

i also read about a lot of crashes in the first flights, and im pretty sure thats also related with human errors and people trying tomfly as high as possible or to test how far they can take the quad... in my case, during this first flight i kept it low and near
;)

Speaking of batteries, don't ever get them used.

I bought one from eBay and the seller doesn't know (it's a pawn shop) any info about it and it turns out I got a swelled battery. Although DJI assistant says 8 charges and 95%-ish life, I wouldn't trust it with my Phantom.

Alec said:
Redwood said:
BTW the DJI hub is great if you plan on using the DJI transmitter but if you are using something like an ImmersionRC transmitter just use a simple Plug and Play cable

Good to know, so if you use the Immersion RC 600 tx, that means you wouldn't use both the "DJI FPV hub" and the simple Plug and Play cable?

Correct. If you are using the ImmersionRC TX you only need the plug and play cable. It will connect the iOSD mini, TX, and phantom together with one cable. The DJI hub is for the DJI ALV58 transmitter and will not work with ImmersionRC unless you solder.

To add to what Redwood said.
The Immersion transmitter is MUCH smaller and lighter and used less power from the battery than the ALV58. It is a much better choice in my opinion.

Tom

I'm pretty confident I can fly the thing - at least enough to keep it in the air LOL - I had a Blade 350QX that I only put down a couple of times (one of those is when I hit "kill motors" instead of "change flight mode" on the TX - SMH). I've also been flying a NanoQX and a 180QX. As long as I keep it tail in, I'm fine. Really really want to learn to actually fly - nose in, side in, etc. I would imagine doing FPV is going to make that even harder to learn because I'll be too tempted to just FPV and not worry which way I'm pointed.
Didn't order yesterday, but I'm going to this morning. Think I'll just go the basic route with gimbal for first order while I do more digging into vtx and goggle/monitor choices.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl