Ordered my Phantom 2!! Excited but nervous at the same time!

Re: Ordered my Phantom 2!! Excited but nervous at the same t

Thats exactly the way I have been doing it. :D Except after I acquired CL & HL and did the compass dance I turned off the phantom and started her up again as I was not sure if the new compass cal data was needed as part of the initialisation.

Big Ben said:
You DO NOT pick up the Phantom right after you've powered up. Especially in NAZA mode. First of all you run the risk of the "IMU abnormal data" flashes. You leave it there because after 30 seconds (in NAZA mode) it will register its orientation for Course Lock. A GPS lock is also much quicker achieved when stationary. Only after having seen TWO series of rapid green flashes (in NAZA mode) for CL and HP setting you can pick it up for a compass calibration. You don't have to do a compass dance for every flight or even every new flight day unless you have a reason to do it, like having moved a considerable distance from your last flight location or are not sure the compass sensor has not been exposed to strong magnetic fields.

Thanks for the info!

I've done the compass calibration immediately following initial power on, let it go through the motions of GPS lock and waited for both sets of green flashes before take-off and thankfully, I have had no issues whatsoever. I've only done the compass calibration three times, as I've flown in three different areas but each time was fine.

I do the same tests that xgeek does right before flying and all has been good so far. I guess from now on I'll power it on, let it go through all of its pre-flight gyrations and after both sets of green flashes, I'll do the compass calibration.

Again, thanks for the info/input!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

How's it been flying xgeek, still happy with it? I am about to take the plunge after hours and hours of research and watching YouTube clips until I am cross eyed! :shock:

Yes I am extremely happy with it. Only had about 20 flights and so far not one issue. My flying is normally within 400m of my take off location but I have been out to 1200m and 200m high with full control and clear FPV.

I am really pleased I went with the P2Z rather than the vision and it has exceeded my expectations. It's great fun :lol:

Fantastic, it has been good to read your positive experience! Happy flying!

xgeek said:
Well it all arrived before noon :D

Phantom 2 with Zenmuse, iOSD mini & spare battery from Heliguy
Fatshark 5.8GHz 250mW Transmitter & Black Pearl monitor from First Person View

The Phantom was smaller than I expected (only ever seen photos and videos), but looks very well made. Checked the FW and calibrated the controller first. FW was on 1.0.1.12 and did not need updating (The website release notes shows 1.0.1.11 as the latest version?) http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... tes_en.pdf.

Next fired up the Phantom without props and went through stick calibration and a basic IMU calibration. Also switched to Naza and enabled IOC while I was in there. Again all the software was already up to date.

Popped the top off to check solder joints and was very impressed with the build quality inside. Really neat and tidy and the solder joints were perfect. Took loads of photos of inside just incase I ever unplug anything and forget where it went lol (been there done that before)

Went outside without props and did the compass dance a few times to familiarise myself with the procedure and light sequence. also did half a dozen switch ons so I could see the warm up and GPS lock sequence lights.

Have not fitted the zenmuse yet as I don't have a Gopro!!. All the FPV stuff can wait until next week after I have had a few test flights. Was itching to get out this afternoon as its such a nice day, but I promised myself I would read the manual again tonight and do my first flight on Saturday. Lets hope the weather stays good! :cool:

Yeah i did this when i was installing my FPV here is a good video that helped me install mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtE ... f3&index=8

and here is the video of what happens when you put a plug back in upside down (as this is the way it looked like it went)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGJ6SdQxVY

This was completely my fualt this was my first test flight after installing my gear NOT GOOD

I personally wouldn't do updates. I did brick my transmitter by simply going to the DJI site and doing a firmware update. I followed the instructions and the update failed. Not I have no LED, and the transmitter is not recognized by the computer and will not do anything. So If it works when you get it I would say leave it alone.

440rt said:
I personally wouldn't do updates. I did brick my transmitter by simply going to the DJI site and doing a firmware update. I followed the instructions and the update failed. Not I have no LED, and the transmitter is not recognized by the computer and will not do anything. So If it works when you get it I would say leave it alone.

Have you tried resetting the transmitter?

If you open it up there is a small button on the transmitter PCB. Hold that in and power on the transmitter to reset it and then try the firmware update again.

I found there was an issue with the battery bars in the remote to keep them all in series. I put the volt meeter on and was getting 3.2V with new batteries. (should be almost 7) I finally got it updated. However during testing the new update the thing lost signal. So I did what it says in the manual to turn off the controller and the **** thing fell out of the sky now. I would love to have it back the way it was when I got it. Luckily i was quick thinking and able to use the find my phantom on the app. It got me close (say 25ft or so) I did find it hanging about 5 ft off the ground in netting of tree brush. No harm to it at all. Im afraid to fly it now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.