Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Ordered Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air 2... What to use...

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Detroit, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Detroit

Like the title says. I called Verizon today and ordered both tablets which will arrive tomorrow with my P3A. Im not a huge Apple fan but I figured I would try it so I ordered it. Then after talking to DJI they say the App wont be on IOS until late next week. Being greedy I called Verizon back and ordered the Galaxy Tab S. This tablet will be used 90% of the time for the Phantom. After reading and watching the comparison videos on youtube of both the tablets it seems that the iPad performs quite a bit better and is faster as well. I have a Galaxy S5 so im thinking of just using the S5 for FPV until the app is released for IOS. Either way I will have both tomorrow but if I decide I wont even open one and just send it back. What are your thoughts on the 2 tablets?

2. Claydoc911

TAB S Has a sim Slot for mobile data.... So once Ground station is working from the DJI app.... you'll have on-line access to google maps.... :)

TAB S has a 8 core processor too. and the best screen I've seen so far...

Louis_Eng likes this.
  3. jadebox

I just received a refurbished Tab S that I bought from Best Buy. It's really sharp - super fast with a clear, bright screen. I sure that it'll work well with the P3.

Louis_Eng likes this.
  4. Detroit

Yeah I think you are right. I think I will stick with the Tab S. I forgot for a moment that the iPad doesn't have a micro sd card slot. I go to northern Michigan allot and it will be nice to put the sd card in the Tab S rather than haul my Alienware Laptop around. I guess this is an easier decision than I thought.

5. Prylar Bek

Yo, DETROIT..where? I'm from there

6. RCFantom

Toledo, here.... What typs of Tab S do you have, I've got the Galaxy s3 Tab, which has a lot of glare from the screen.

7. PishPosh

That's funny because I recently bought a galaxy tab s for my wife, who quickly grew frustrated with it. Returned it to Amazon and ordered the iPad Air 2 today.

8. GSSP

aftermarket APPs that fix DJI's junk will be android

9. BrewserB

Why not just get a Nexus 7? It's android and cheap.

10. BrewserB

I understand. I'm an Apple guy but bought a cheap Android tablet for the drone. My neighbors both have had Android phones and told me they are garbage. They recently switched to Apple. I bought a cheap tablet and it happens to be an Android. I can beat the $hit out of it and not worry about scratching up my idevices

11. jadebox

The naming of Samsung's devices can be confusing. The Tab S is the Tab S. The only variation is the size - 8.5 or 10.5.

The Tab S is Samsung's latest tablet. It is super-fast and has a very bright, sharp "AMOLED" screen.

-- Roger

12. rrmccabe

Nexus is a great solution but not best. Probably better bang for buck than Tab S.

But I just got rid of my Nexus 7 for a Tab S and the brightness of the screen alone makes it a superior tablet for FPV.

So I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and can afford.

13. johnny_ls3

Hey guys Im 15 minutes south of Ann Arbor in Milan. I work in Dundee which is 17 miles north of Toledo.

BTW guys I am Detroit. I was on my work computer like I am now and for the life of me I could not figure out what email I used so I created this account. My wife found my email so I will be back on the Detroit name. Is there any way I can delete this account?

#13 johnny_ls3, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  14. Detroit

My apologies everyone from now on I will use my original name. I cant wait to get off at 6 to fly. My wife is home waiting for the Fed EX man now! When he comes she is going to run up here and deliver it to me!!!!! I will get it all charged up so when the clock strikes 6 I will be ready!! Thankfully I only live 6 miles from my job!! I'm 30 years old and I couldn't sleep last night! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!.

15. RCFantom

My daughter has the 8.5 with the amoled screen, haven't tried it with the phantom yet, mine is the galaxy s3 (older), but still works great.