Orange Beach, AL "no drone" ordinance

Following this thread as I will be visiting Orange Beach the last week of April.

Also, if anyone lives down there and has any recommendations on areas close by to fly at for some nice video and photo opportunities, let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Mandrake981
I am going down in the beginning of May and hope to have passed my pt 107 exam by then. In looking at the sectional charts, there is a restricted area all along the coast there as military aircraft regularly fly maneuvers in that area. It is not a prohibited area, merely restricted, which means you can fly but proceed with caution and call the airbase to see if the area is "hot" or not. And I quote, pg.15 of the remote pilot study guide.
"Restricted Areas
Restricted areas are areas where operations are hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft and contain airspace within which the flight of aircraft, while not wholly prohibited, is subject to restrictions. Activities within these areas must be confined because of their nature, or limitations may be imposed upon aircraft operations that are not a part of those activities, or both. Restricted areas denote the existence of unusual, often invisible, hazards to aircraft (e.g., artillery firing, aerial gunnery, or guided missiles). Penetration of restricted areas without authorization from the using or controlling agency may be extremely hazardous to the aircraft."

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 366
I am going down in the beginning of May and hope to have passed my pt 107 exam by then. In looking at the sectional charts, there is a restricted area all along the coast there as military aircraft regularly fly maneuvers in that area. It is not a prohibited area, merely restricted, which means you can fly but proceed with caution and call the airbase to see if the area is "hot" or not. And I quote, pg.15 of the remote pilot study guide.
"Restricted Areas
Restricted areas are areas where operations are hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft and contain airspace within which the flight of aircraft, while not wholly prohibited, is subject to restrictions. Activities within these areas must be confined because of their nature, or limitations may be imposed upon aircraft operations that are not a part of those activities, or both. Restricted areas denote the existence of unusual, often invisible, hazards to aircraft (e.g., artillery firing, aerial gunnery, or guided missiles). Penetration of restricted areas without authorization from the using or controlling agency may be extremely hazardous to the aircraft."

That restricted area (R-2908) is listed as November - December, Monday - Friday, 0800 - 1600 local. It may be inactive in May.

Restricted areas may be problematic though - while they are described as you quoted, the ones that I'm familiar with are administered more like Prohibited Areas, and LE will be all over you if you try to fly in those.

That restricted area (R-2908) is listed as November - December, Monday - Friday, 0800 - 1600 local. It may be inactive in May.

Restricted areas may be problematic though - while they are described as you quoted, the ones that I'm familiar with are administered more like Prohibited Areas, and LE will be all over you if you try to fly in those.
I fly in this area along the coast on a regular basis. Blue Angles post their practice schedule online. They regularly fly low altitude along the Orange Beach coastline. Check their schedule in advance http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/documents/BApractice-20173.22.17.pdf. Navy helicopters frequently fly low altitude on the coast, but are visible and audible from a long distance. I have never had an issue with law enforcement in our area. I fly over the state park sections of the beaches in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Perdido Key where there are no condos and almost no beach goers.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Restricted Areas

That restricted area does not extend to Orange Beach, but covers Gulf Shores Beaches from Hwy 59, extending east to the mouth of Mobile Bay (Fort Morgan). Still need to check Blue Angels practice schedule on the link listed in my other reply below. Also very important - contact Orange Beach Helicopter Tours by text on Facebook to let them know when and where you are flying. The nature of their business will take them to the same spots you will want to fly. Whenever I contact them, they instruct their pilot to fly a hard floor of 500'. I am considerate enough to give them a 1 hour window so they don't have to worry about it all day. Search

Last edited:
That restricted area does not extend to Orange Beach, but covers Gulf Shores Beaches from Hwy 59, extending east to the mouth of Mobile Bay (Fort Morgan). Still need to check Blue Angels practice schedule on the link listed in my other reply below. Also very important - contact Orange Beach Helicopter Tours by text on Facebook to let them know when and where you are flying. The nature of their business will take them to the same spots you will want to fly. Whenever I contact them, they instruct their pilot to fly a hard floor of 500'. I am considerate enough to give them a 1 hour window so they don't have to worry about it all day. Search
Great information, thank you. I will definitely contact them when I finalize my flight plans.

Thank you for the info Richard!
Seeing as you're a local, is there anything I must see/do when I'm down there with the family?

Thank you for the info Richard!
Seeing as you're a local, is there anything I must see/do when I'm down there with the family?

Aside from the miles of white sand beaches, there are lots of great attractions. The usual water and amusement parks, miniature golf and stuff you get in every coastal resort area, but these I think you would enjoy -

Hugh Branyon Back Country Trail – FREE - Est. 2003 - Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail

Rent bikes to ride the trail from my friend Joey Ward - Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad

Fort Morgan - Fort Morgan Alabama Historical Site Information/ - Fort Morgan State Historic Site

Gulf Shores Zoo - Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo

The Wharf (shopping, dining, etc) - The Wharf at Orange Beach

Take a dolphin cruise – There are cheaper cruises, but this one is the best - Dolphin Cruises, Gulf Shores Orange Beach

USS Alabama Battleship Park (hour drive) - USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park

I fly there!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: antbatt13

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic