Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Options for Camera

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by mschore, Sep 18, 2014.

1. mschore

I am an avid digital photographer. So far I am disappointed with the camera on the Phantom 2 Vision. It is such a wide angle lens that everything is distorted. :(
    With that said I am concerned about going with a GoPro 3 due to cost (new gimbal and camera) and possible compatibility issues. For instance, I really like being able to see the video feed on my phone while flying. Can you do that with a GoPro rig? I keep seeing Zenmuse gimbals that say Phantom 2 but no specifically saying Zenmuse 2 Vision. Can a P2V be re-gimbaled?

Just very frustrated with what could be a great tool--flies great and super controllable but the video/optics is very weak.

2. zenoshrdlu

While the photos are distorted straight from the camera, you can correct much of it using the Lens Correction option in Photoshop and Lightroom - the latest versions have specific 'filters' for the DJI FC200 camera.

It is possible to replace the simple tilt servo mechanism of the Phantom with a 2D or 3D gimbal that holds the camera (eg the Taco Supreme). Replacing both camera and tilt servo with a GoPro and gimbal will be expensive and by the time you have added the all the FPV stuff you'll have spent quite a bit. Might be simpler to sell the Vision as is and by a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse, GoPro and FPV stuff.

3. mschore

Thanks for the reply, that is what I was thinking as well. Wish I had some hands on with this before buying. I haven't used the Phantom for still images but do know about the Photoshop option. Thanks again.

4. MonsieurAnon

I use a Samsung NX-1100 on mine for high quality shooting.

You're going to run into the same distortion problem with the GoPro, as it's also wide field of view.