Optimum height for best reception.

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time posting and would appreciate advice.

I'm trying to take my Phantom out as far as possible and I'm wondering if there is an optimum height to get best reception.

Logic would suggest my P3a should be horizontal to the controller but I'm wondering if the further you go out the more altitude you should consider applying.

I want to breech 4miles, currently just under with a parabolic range extender. All tests done in a safe manner.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Why would it need to be horizontal to the controller - with the reflectors on you are creating something like the beam of a car headlight so you could angle it up slightly.
The ground attenuates signal by reflecting away and absorbing a percentage.
The effect is far greater if you have a lot of trees.
So in general higher is better but you might be ill-advised to go above 400 feet, although it might be safe enough and not frowned on where you are.
Taking off from an elevated location will be very helpful as the signal reduction will be minimised

Put some water between you and the bird even a small dam will have a huge impact on your signal strength at range.And as they say launch location is everything like being on a hill and flying down a valley negates the need to fly high.

think of it as a roughly say 45 degree angle - further you go away the higher you need to go.
IMy furthest flight totally standard setup is 1.66 miles so far. I was at 300' and was losing signal - brought it up to over 400 didnt help much.
Mohan has done some very long flights using a DBS mod and he seems to fly at around 400 - 500ft. He reached 10 miles I think lol.

Interesting. Thanks all. I seem to find around 250-300 ft seems to work best and that adding altitude doesn't make much difference. I'm keen to break 4mls as I don't think you can get much further with a stock RC but my battery is starting to go. I've also noticed that changing the camera pitch seems to reduce drag and increases top speed. All part of the fun I guess - got to love the P3...

Did 5,2 km at 120 m height. The RC close to the ground and pointing to the sky .because I was sit down on a small beach chair and the RC supported on my laps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic