Optimum gain settings with Zenmuse Gimball and GoPro 3

Reaction score
I just bought my Phantom II, Zenmuse H32d gibmal combo and installed GoproH3.
I did the calibration as shown in the manual and used default gain settings which are
Basic Gain: Pitch:120 Roll:120 Yaw:120 Vertical:200
Altitude gain: Pitch: 220,220

With this setup Phantom 2 is very unstable especially in vertical axis. It is doing random spikes to upwards and constantly drifting to front. When I try to land it becomes more erratic with ground effect and becomes impossible to land. I pull down the throttle up to %50 percent but it does not want to come down. Then, suddenly it hits to ground and bounces.

I went through forums and found totally contradicting information about gain values.

Is there anybody else who experienced the problem and found a fix?
Can anybody tell me optimum gain settings with the same payload?
When I switch to Naza mode I saw that the default gain settings decreases. Is it normal? If yes why naza mode requires different values with same aircraft?

Thanks

I have not had to deviate from the factory default and it flies solid as a rock without any drift or altitude changes. Have you checked the settings with Assistant? Also, have you done advanced calibration of IMU and also compass calibration away from possible magnetic fields?

My set up is the factory payload with Zenmuse, GoPro 3+, AVL58, iOSD Mini.

Hetzer said:
I just bought my Phantom II, Zenmuse H32d gibmal combo and installed GoproH3.
I did the calibration as shown in the manual and used default gain settings which are
Basic Gain: Pitch:120 Roll:120 Yaw:120 Vertical:200
Altitude gain: Pitch: 220,220

Those #s in vertical & atti sound high - atti should be 100 or near and vert maybe 150 from P2s I've seen.
Rule of thumb 1st numbers = how craft reacts to wind, etc.. Atti #s = how craft reacts to stick input

Although it was not my question, I want to thank EMCSQUAR for this answer. I struggled with setup of gain, as my phantom 2 goes a bit like drunk. you helped me understand it a bit better.
Still not sure why phantom goes down a bit when I try to turn it in the air (I need to compensate with vertical joystick), or why sometimes - when it should just stay in one place it stars to spiral around , sometimes quite quick. I am still learning, and try to set it up best.
one thing I know for sure - I would not be where I am without the help of this group. Cheers!!!
Derek

Here are some more questions for thought, I removed the pot for controlling the camera tilt and installed a pot from radio shack as descibed on another post. I figured out later I had to recalibrate the pot in the assisatnt software to get the full potential, it really has smooth and slower tilt now. But when using the P2 for video, the responses to stick input are hurting the video quality. Even when attempting to turn very slowly, or any manuvers intended to be slow and smooth for best video results, are often too jerky, too quick. I was hoping that adjustments to the gain settings would give that slow response to inputs for improving video results, then change back to default settings when doing general flying. I haven't done any expiramentation yet, hoping to find something in this forum that covers this. Any thoughts?

first off,. those initial "default" gains sounded way extreme, on my Phantom I think most are at 110 or 100 percent by default.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to lessen stick sensitivity using the default Tx.

The only way to really do so is to go with an aftermarket Tx/Rx that had DualRates/Expos that will allow you to significantly lessen stick sensitivity for smoother flying.

The yaw was the main response I was trying to slow up, I set at 40 and could tell no difference from 100, 120. SO I guess another controller it is.

I'm a newbie. I will pick up my bird tomorrow. P2 with gimbal that comes with it now & a GoPro3. I must really be dumb about this. I thought the gimbal was for the camera. I didn't know it had anything to do with how the craft flies. Please clue me in a little. I've literally spent at least 40 hours on the Internet digesting everything I could about the Phantom. More specifically the Phantom 2.

So the gains they talk about have nothing to do with the Zenmuse gimbal. I got confused because of the title "Optimum gain settings with the Zenmuse Gimbal & GoPro3. I guess he was meaning since the gain settings affect the characteristic of the how the Phantom flies, they would also affect how well the video turns out. But really if the Gimbal 2 does it thing correctly the only thing to be concerned about is Yaw I guess. Is that right. Yaw is left and right on the same plain without banking the craft?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20