Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Optical zoom attachment lens for Vision+ camera?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by sidebox, Jul 24, 2014.

1. sidebox

Does anyone know of any attachable lenses that will magnify the built in DJI vision+ camera. I'm not looking for anything with zoom controls, just a fixed optical zoom. I'm thinking of something similar to one of these guys: http://www.olloclip.com/olloclip-iphone-telephoto-lens/, which I have for my phone. This would allow us keep a little more distance from our "targets". I think the benefits are pretty clear, and I'm pretty surprised that I can't easily find an available attachment.
    (I previously posted this in FPV, but I think this is a better location)

2. Onezerosix141

I was thinking of the same thing. I don't own one of those so idk but would weight be an issue?

3. Soulnet

I was thinking the weight would be a huge issue for the gimbal. It's so delicate as it is maybe even a light landing with more weight on the gimbal would harm it.

dgd3 likes this.
  4. Entropy512

In addition, the wider angle a lens is to begin with, the harder it is to put an attachment on it. It would be almost impossible to add a telephoto attachment to the P2V+ camera without vignetting at the edges since the original lens FOV is so wide. (Might work OK for the narrow-FOV video setting, but not for wide or stills.)

Those clip-on lenses for phones are feasible because phones normally have MUCH narrower fields of view than the P2V+ fisheye

5. locoworks

if the lens/camera was counterbalanced so the little motor had similar loads would it then be an issue??

6. MiDri

Yes, the motors in the gimbal are just not designed for the extra weight and could be damaged.

dgd3 likes this.
  7. andrzej62

8. MapMaker53

Also keep in mind your POV during flight will be screwed up with such magnification and judging distances will be difficult.