Opti vs Atti mode...I am planning to practice Atti. ¿suggestions?

Reaction score
I have been flying 30-35 flights on Opti mode with GPS. ¿Any suggestions from these experienced pilots out there on how to transition?

I would like to be proficient on Atti...just as back up, should Opti fail.

Any suggestion or source reference greatly appreciated from my fellow pilots in these rooms!

Any suggestions from these experienced pilots out there on how to transition?

Opti?? .. perhaps you mean P-GPS
Opti is for flying at less than 10 feet using the optical sensors and is usuallly indoors.
Atti mode is just like GPS except it's without GPS.
You still get all the assistance of the altimeter and gyros and accelerometers but no horizontal position holding.
Your P3 should maintain altitude but is able to drift with the breeze and won't continue coasting when you stop.
Imagine driving without brakes.

Make sure you are in an open area well away from trees, buildings or anything else to hit.
It's not hard .. Go up 30 ft and switch over and take it easy.
Here's the relevant section of the manual and note the last few lines.
Your mode switch does nothing unless you have activated multi mode in the app.
i-cc3dZfs-XL.jpg

The best way I learned to fly atti mode is to fly planes and drones in a sim like real flight. Also I practice with the little hubsan $45.00 drone. Yah may sound silly but when you have to get ur butt out of gps glitch and a fly away, Atti will save you!! Once you master that find yourself a big field and pick a calm day and go for the Atti mode. I actually have full manual programed in my Tarot hex and wookong. m controller That shuts off everything including the gps and the IMU. Handful to fly but in a catastrophic failure of the flight controler, It will save your biscuits!

Reactions: Bag1
I have been flying 30-35 flights on Opti mode with GPS. ¿Any suggestions from these experienced pilots out there on how to transition?

Any suggestion or source reference greatly appreciated from my fellow pilots in these rooms!
Start in the middle of a wide open field. Don't try it if there is a strong wind. Don't go outside LOS until you get comfortable with orientation.

+1 to justgregg. I have been flying RC for awhile now and am amazed how much the Phantom does FOR the pilot. I had a return to home failure and the drone would have hit a wall without flight experience.
My unsolicited advice. Buy a practice Quad and learn to fly line of sight proficiently. The one that flies similar to our Phantom is the Blade 180QX
http://www.bladehelis.com/180QX/
Or if you want a super quick racer version look at the 200QX(on that web site). Crashes are part of this hobby. But in our case a crash cost a lot.
Honestly I don't trust all the bells and whistles of the Phantom if I stay on here to long. Lots of horror stories. I never use auto land and takeoff.
This was my main FPV setup before "Buzz Lightyear" showed up.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2451511

Reactions: Bret Lucas
Opti?? .. perhaps you mean P-GPS
Your P3 should maintain altitude but is able to drift with the breeze and won't continue coasting when you stop.
Imagine driving without brakes.
I assume you meant "and will continue coasting when you stop"?
Good explanation! I had a heck of a time landing back on the end of the 1000 foot long pier last night, after switching to ATTI mode to make it back, flying into a fierce headwind before the battery died. I forgot to put it back into P-GPS for landing! ATTI really challenges your flying skills, trying to maintain position over a 13 foot wide pier in a 15 mph wind, as the aircraft is autolanding because it reached 10% battery, and the ocean is 30 feet beneath you on both sides of the 13 foot wide pier! Help! No brakes! Living on the edge! I won't forget that again! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bag1
I've a question about modes. is there a reaction when changing the modes mid-air?

For example from p-gps to atti or atti to p-gps?

How the p3 reacts during the mode change?

Edit: also how is the maintaining altitude during the atti mode? Is it changing a lot when high speeds?

+ 3 ....Hubsan is the "Sensei" to learn the basics...
Agreed. Put the little Hubsan in expert mode and it keeps you on your toes!
Coming back to a Phantom 3 feels quite pedestrian after that.

So if by default multi flight mode is off in the application and you are locked into p-gps... If you switch the hardware switch on controller to atti mode, nothing would happen ?

So if by default multi flight mode is off in the application and you are locked into p-gps... If you switch the hardware switch on controller to atti mode, nothing would happen ?
correct. multi flight mode enables the switch.

I've a question about modes. is there a reaction when changing the modes mid-air?

The instant you go to atti the phantom is subject to the wind, and will start drifting. Altitude is maintained pretty well because obviously the wind just goes N, S, E, and W. I'd advise keeping it low and not learning atti in wind more than 5-7 mph, do figure 8's in open space. Or buy a lil guy like the Syma X5 and fly it for a few days

ATTI is nearly the same as OPTI just without GPS guidance, it is nearly as easy to fly as OPTI. The only challenging mode would be full manual like you had with the P2 and P1's. Thats a mode to be scared of to use because its really tricky but ATTI is just drifting a bit more with the wind and you have to use some roll movements to counter it but on an open field this absolutely no big deal and no reason to have concerns. The flight controller still levels the quad and also it holds the height by centering the stick. A small micro quad for 10 dollar is much harder to fly because this wont hold the height automatically.

The instant you go to atti the phantom is subject to the wind, and will start drifting. Altitude is maintained pretty well because obviously the wind just goes N, S, E, and W. I'd advise keeping it low and not learning atti in wind more than 5-7 mph, do figure 8's in open space. Or buy a lil guy like the Syma X5 and fly it for a few days
Yeah, don't practice ATTI at the end of a 1,000 foot long pier over the ocean in a 15 mph wind! :eek: Despite the pucker factor, it will hone your flying skills, though, if you don't drown the drone! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret Lucas

Edit: also how is the maintaining altitude during the atti mode? Is it changing a lot when high speeds?
Should make the transition smoothly from p-gps to atti. If it doesnt, there is something wrong.

I'm presently doing a job around a dock with a lot of interference. Part of my pre take off checks is to self brief on what to do if the compass creates an unstable platform. Switching to ATTI mode isn't a biggie but you certainly should practice it in a no stress environment. So today I had to which to ATTI after the phantom started toilet bowling. Having a lot of experience on a Blade Nano QX in agility mode helped deal with the P3 in a less auto mode.

Reactions: mphsjeep
Should make the transition smoothly from p-gps to atti. If it doesnt, there is something wrong.
You mean something wrong like wind? ;) I got a weird message due to some interference today telling me to switch to ATTI mode because P-GPS was unstable, so I did, and the P3P immediately headed 50 feet behind me, almost out of view, apparently drifting downwind! I hit the throttle to get up out of harm's way and whatever interference was killing P-GPS, and P-GPS became available within seconds, so I switched back to it, but it's rarely a smooth transition to ATTI from P-GPS, unless there is no wind at all.

Well yes, when transitioning to atti you have to really fly the bird for conditions. When you flip the switch you better be quick on the sticks. My octos and hexes are set up with Dji wookong flight controllers that fly in real manual mode, no gps, no atti, just 8 motors spinning relying on constant stick command. Now thats a handful. And yes if you were in a stiff head wind, going from the comfort of P-GPS to ATTI, the light weight little phantom would of got a bit out of hand. Next time just keep it in ATTI and fly it in the windy conditions. Thats how you become a great pilot! I had a event like yours where my inspire jumped out of gps mode to atti. Thought I had a flyaway, had a stiff cross wind and as soon as it switched to atti the wind took it. I manually switched to atti thinking it was a gps flyaway and kept in atti not trusting the gps. Wound up landing safely in atti mode. Fly as much as you can in atti mode.
Happy flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1