Opportunity to trade up from P3 pro to P4 - is it a good move?

Reaction score
Although I've had some experience with RC planes I've decided to get into Drone flying. The P series seems to the right way to go, although I previously foolishly fell into the trap of buying a "cheaper" Drone of sorts from Hobby King (a useful site for the planes) but ended up wasting good money after bad and hardly used it. So after doing some proper research decided on the Phantoms. I actually bought the P3 Pro as the store didn't have the Advanced which was my first choice. BUT I then went on holiday before I could set it up and since then realised the P4 might be a better route AND the store are prepared to swap it and I only need to pay the difference in price. I'm 90% convinced it's the right move as (1) I like the look (2) Seems simpler to update the firmware than the 3 (3) It's got the sport mode & (4) has the avoidance facility. However I can't help reading the range and flight times arent what DJI claim and practically the same as the 3 (and maybe even the 3 is better on distance). The general consensus seems to be it's still worth it if you have the budget so I'm going to go for it. As a newbie if anyone has any advice to the contrary I'd be grateful - I won't be back in the UK to swap it over until the end of the month so have time on my hands to get the decision right! Thanks :)

I myself got the advance then a few months later buying the P4 after having a go of a friends one, and I went home and got one that day. I would say no matter what upgrade to P4 its worth the money dude.

The P4 is a great machine. If it fits your budget, you won't regret it.

FYI, object avoidance does not work while using sport mode.

i too am a newbie to the whole RC drone world , and i was one the fence with either going with the P3P or P4 as for exactly what your were thinking also....i read a lot on both for before going with the P4 ...haven't regretted it one bit...really like it, been flying it for a little over a month now and couple minor issues...

i too am a newbie to the whole RC drone world , and i was one the fence with either going with the P3P or P4 as for exactly what your were thinking also....i read a lot on both for before going with the P4 ...haven't regretted it one bit...really like it, been flying it for a little over a month now and couple minor issues...
Glad to hear I'm not alone with the dilemma and reassured you are happy with the 4. Thanks :)

Some advice is on buying the P4 instead of the P3, different than what you asked. I'd say it's not worth replacing a P3 with a P4. Of course if someone just wants to spend the money that is different. I don't think the difference is great enough to take a hit on the P3 and the extra money the P4 costs.

Reactions: Pharm
I don't think the difference is great enough to take a hit on the P3 and the extra money the P4 costs.
Features like the locking props really make it worth it to me. Props do fly off Phantoms occasionally -- and, they always seem to be flying off Phantom 3s. It's very rare to hear of a prop flying off a Phantom 4.

Reactions: snowghost
Features like the locking props really make it worth it to me. Props do fly off Phantoms occasionally -- and, they always seem to be flying off Phantom 3s. It's very rare to hear of a prop flying off a Phantom 4.

but would you (for example) sell your P3 for a $500 loss and then spend $1200 for the P4 to get locking hubs? I think a P4 is worth every penny of $1200... as a new purchase. I just don't think it's worth getting rid of a P3 for the P4.

but would you (for example) sell your P3 for a $500 loss and then spend $1200 for the P4 to get locking hubs?
Locking hubs are just one of the great new features of the Phantom 4.

To answer your question though, the OP isn't going to lose anything. He only needs to pay the difference between his P3P and the P4.

To answer your question though, the OP isn't going to lose anything. He only needs to pay the difference between his P3P and the P4.

I missed that on my phone. At this point the P4 is tough to beat as the price is dropping. I'm hoping to have mine in a week or so. I can't say how I'm getting it though. :)

Some advice is on buying the P4 instead of the P3, different than what you asked. I'd say it's not worth replacing a P3 with a P4. Of course if someone just wants to spend the money that is different. I don't think the difference is great enough to take a hit on the P3 and the extra money the P4 costs.
Thanks for the advice, I understand the concern - as I haven't opened the P3 yet the store are giving me a full refund and I only need to pay the difference in price. As I'm not taking a hit I thought it might be worthwhile.

Thanks for the advice, I understand the concern - as I haven't opened the P3 yet the store are giving me a full refund and I only need to pay the difference in price. As I'm not taking a hit I thought it might be worthwhile.

Good move you'll like it. My P3A sits in the case now that I have the P4. Probably should sell her.

Locking hubs are just one of the great new features of the Phantom 4.

That's right - I haven't even activated the P3 Pro yet - so too good an opportunity to turn down.

I did buy a P3 Pro case before I decided to switch but suppose that will fit the P4 too!
It depends on which case you purchased, but most are not interchangeable.

the temp box it comes in looks quite good!
It's not as durable as a hard plastic case, but it should hold up just fine as long as you're not rough with it and/or don't need to check it in as luggage anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31