Opinions Wanted....Goggles or Screen?

Reaction score
Im looking into getting a FPV setup for my P1.1.1. Part of me wants goggles because of the "full immersion" experience. But the more practical side of me thinks that a monitor might be more practical. Im just looking to get some opinions from some guys that have gone both ways with this. In my head the monitor gets the job done of seeing what im filming while still seeing whats going on around me. But the goggles would be a better picture (depending on the goggles and screen of course) because you close off the outside light and all that. Plus i think the goggles would be more fun. Anyway these are just the thoughts rattling around inside my head. Pro's and con's of each would be great. Thanks in advance and for putting up with crazy questions LOL

Chad

bit of a goofy list but...
I prefer to wear a hat when in the sun
I wear glasses
found myself lifting goggles off often to see where Phantom is located
hat, glasses, goggles in conflict with each other
monitor, glasses and hat not in conflict

goggles work well in bright sunlight
monitor difficult to see in bright sunlight

goggles make it difficult to share experience
strangers walk up and I can show them the monitor view (good PR)

DVR attached to and powered by monitor

other side of coin
goggles fit conveniently in Phantom case
monitor and shade must be taken apart or carried about in car assembled
cumbersome to connect DVR to goggles

I went with monitor. Partly so the experience can be shared.

I had some FatShark Attitude goggles but I hated them. The image is so **** small at 35 degrees that it's not immersive at all. A 7" screen stuck to my transmitter is actually larger than the goggles due to the proximity of it.

I stuck them on the bay and haven't looked back. I'll be rigging up something stereoscopic with my Oculus Rift DK2 once it arrives.

kind of OT, but related in a way.

Is there any type of side by side comparison with the new goggles out there?
Like, how would the video LOOK to me as if I were wearing them? Whats the difference?

I have a 7" Boscam 5802 monitor. Great to frame shots and easy to look up from to actually see the Phantom when needed. Difficult to see in daylight even with a shroud.

I have the FoxTech Sky Zone goggles as well. They have a wider view than most other goggles. But, overall I'm disappointed with them. It's not quite an immersive experience as I hoped for. It's like looking at a small screen in the distance. The view does not wrap around your eyesight, if that makes sense. Another downside to goggles is you can only see what's right in front of the Phantom. If you need to reverse or move sideways without turning, you have no idea what may be in the way.

Both options do not have high definition, so they are both limited in image detail.

From my understanding, goggles are really better used with fixed cameras on aircraft that fly fast such as racing quads or foam airplanes.

If I were you or had a limited budget, I would start out with a monitor. Also, RaveCreative makes a great, simple, elegant monitor mount that is custom-made for the Phantom controller. http://www.raveaerialvideo.com

Regards

As others have stated, the ability to share the experience is a ton of fun. I greatly enjoy showing others (and everyone is interested and blown away with the images) the view on my 7 " screen. I did spend a little extra to get a good, bright screen and have had very little problem with bright light in spite of the fact that I live in Texas and take most of my video on golf courses. If the light is a problem, there is almost always a nearby tree to get under, which is fine with me given the heat.

Well I had decided on a screen...but came across a good deal on some fatshark goggles. I figure I can add a monitor next lol

it's not unheard of to have goggles but also setup a monitoring station that mirrors what you see if you would like to share the experience

I have found that the Phantom2V+ is so white that it is easily lost against any sort of cloud cover! Thank goodness for being able to use an iPad mini with tray (see www.seecraft.net) to be able to use FPV to find may way back to myself. The wide FOV on the iPad mini with the large, bright screen is unbeatable. I tried some goggles, but their FOV is too narrow to really be useful. I think that the Oculus Rift with the light bridge would be the best option for true FPV, and that is the way I personally am going to go for real FPV experiences.

Juvenis...my problem is i have a P1.1.1. I would love to use my iPad as the monitor.....but i don't know if that's an option for me??? Any help would be great because this would solve the problem with no real extra purchases needed.

chuddly said:
Juvenis...my problem is i have a P1.1.1. I would love to use my iPad as the monitor.....but i don't know if that's an option for me??? Any help would be great because this would solve the problem with no real extra purchases needed.

without doing any googling, if there was some sort of VGA adapter to plug into the ipad for video-in (not video out), then i guess the other connections could be made.

but with no video-in option (and related app), it's probably impossible

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl