Opinions on NFZ Management

Reaction score
What is your opinion on NFZ Management?

I realize there are several different ways to manage no fly zones, but I'm interested in the differing opinions... how you manage them.

After reading a recent thread (no flying in Cali) and realizing there are apps out there, as well as the DJI site and the built in software, I'm just wondering how everyone manages their own NFZ issues.

As an example:

-I just installed three of what seem to be popular NFZ apps, and there are difference in my area for all three
-according to all three, I have flown in designated no fly zones unknowingly, and in some case for different restrictions (within 9km of an airport, designated restrictions with no description, etc)
-the DJI Go app has never yet warned me that I'm in a NFZ for any of those flights, nor prevented take-off.

I am a very conscientious flyer and will always respect rules, privacy, concerns... and endeavour to keep people in general supportive of the sport, but clearly if I researched and followed every rule to the letter, I'd never have taken most of the flights I have so far.

So I'm left to believe there is a grey area... especially when take-off in not prevented by the flying app.

So what do you do?
How thoroughly do you research zones?
How tightly do you follow the NFZ circles?
Or do you fly wherever the app will let you?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
A few thoughts:
  1. I don't really like the term NFZ, because it's usually not a black and white answer (unfortunately) and there are very few places that nobody can fly. It often depends on whether you have permission, what rules you are operating under, etc. Just keep that in mind.
  2. Don't rely too much on DJI Go. It's nice that the airspace data is in there, but obviously you are ultimately responsible.
  3. Assuming you are in the US, flying near an airport is not a NFZ. You must notify the airport prior to your flight (thought DJI does lock out flying within the airport property)
  4. Be aware that most apps will show you national airspace rules, but few very have local rules (city parks, for example). Make sure to lookup park rules before you head out to fly.
Hope that helps!

I think even more than what's legal/ important, is what the DJ go app says, because it's the only thing that will shut your bird down, far away from home, if you fly straight into one.

I do agree that "common sense" will go a LONG way, provided the app will let you get it off the ground, and that you're careful not to drift into a forced landing zone.

But I am very curious how people self-regulate...

It's pretty easy for me. I live near the yellow zone of a Class D airport--Manasssas Regional Airport [KHEF], I got a warning screen (black) that made me check off boxes (in flight at the time--on my first flight at about 50 feet). At first I was quite nervous (literally shaking), because I had a hard time seeing the phone screen to begin with. On flights after that (there is a state owned battlefield behind my subdivision), I got "give me a credit card or telephone number". Had to land and contend with that.

Then I learned a pilot could "open" the airspace for three days (via the DGI log in) , so I just routinely do that, even if I later choose not to fly. I just "unlock" the yellow zone of the airspace, even though I don't fly there ( there is a route I like to fly that comes very close) I don't risk getting the "warning screen". Thought this would be the end of it.

But the last time I pre-cleared the yellow zone, I once again got the "credit card or telephone" two-step authentication, not hard to do because I wasn't even connected, but ticked me off because they ALREADY had the S/N of the aircraft, and SHOULD HAVE known who I was (if that was the goal).

Now I fly FPV using Litchi, and overall very few problems--at least not with the NFZ issues--now I can concentrate on flying and filming. To most people what I film is 'boring' (fields, ponds and farms), but I don't see it that way--what I see when I fly is the Maker's handiwork in the landscape, and I find it just exhilarating just to fly.

Seems to me that Litchi gives me "area warnings" that scroll across the screen, but I fly FPV and don't see them. I put the phone in my pocket at have the app give me verbals on battery, depth, etc. It's just easier that way.

The airport can be very busy--when the weather is good, we all want to fly -- and this is just outside the Wash DC ADIZ on the west, with many corporate planes, small planes, and helos. Additionally Dulles IAD uses this airspace to stack planes to land, but they are generally at 2000' or better.

Love the replies... so much info can be gleaned from all of them, long and short.

For every person that thinks a field, pond or farm is boring, another will see the beauty and it's all part of the experience. I don't even know the whole list of everything I want to shoot yet but I'm all over the place...

I knew I lived "close" to the 9km outer limit of the airport, but naturally it's nearly impossible to tell exactly what that line is, so I assumed if I was inside, the app would let me know...

I went to a parking lot nearby, flew around for a bit, and rested with the knowledge all was good...

...then I discover all these apps that are happy to draw the circle for you with your location as a dropped pin. I was inside it.

Couple that with the threads showing people getting arrested and being sought by police, along with different apps being inconsistent, and it's worth asking how others manage the issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj