Opened a can of worms

I stay the hell away from people. That said. I have taken the approach of having folks watch a test run and even offering to let them have a try with the stick. Or, ask them if the would like to see how a quadcopter actually works. Folks simply don't know anything except what is in the media and in the US that is usually whatever scares people the most. Sells adult medicines the best:)

Every time someone asks me something like "Are you taking my picture?" I invite them over to look at the live feed, point the camera at us and ask where they are in the frame. That always diffuses them.
Saying that it's about a 20mm lens doesn't make sense to most people.

I think one thing we all need to remember is that WE, the drone flying community, are ambassadors for our hobby. We need to take it upon ourselves to try and paint a positive picture of our hobby. I fly in a City park close to my house, and I always try to be friendly, and informative to ANYONE who shows even a modicum of interest. It's amazing how a little congeniality can turn even the most obstinate opponent into someone who is at least a BIT more objective to our "cause". My cousin has gone so far as to take photos with his P4 (he's a professional photographer) of many of our city's parks, and provided them to the parks department free of charge for their use. This has created a very positive attitude towards drones in our City parks. A little goes a long way...

So, remember, if you are out there, flying responsibly and safely, and trying to inform people about what we can and can't do, and trying to paint a POSITIVE impression of our hobby, it will help ALL of us. If, however, you are out there, buzzing people, flying over and hovering for long periods over private property, and just being a general nuisance, then you are not only hurting yourself, but all of us here in the drone-flying community.

Just my 2-cents worth...

I asked on a caravan site if a drone would annoy them on the campsite, well apparently all us drone pilots want to do is take pictures of their children, made me so angry. Ignorance is almost astounding. Ive tried explaining the stupidity of this argument, or is it me that is the naive one ? Im fuming.
What about maybe flipping it around the other direction? Set up a demonstration at a campsite, get kids and their parents involved, let them see it's fun and that there's nothing to worry about. Education is a good remedy for ignorance. We're all ambassadors for the hobby.

Your kids??? No.
Can you ask your wife to go topless please? She is HOT!
8-20-12 025 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: Dacon Productions
There is a huge amount of paranoia around people's perceptions on drones. When I lost a toy quadcopter a few months ago, I posted a notice on my local neighborhood Whatsapp asking people to look out for it. A fair amount of negative paranoid responses were received and as someone pointed out, you can probably see more of your home and garden on Google Maps than from a drone.

Well back from Rv/caravan park. Turned up me, the wife, grandaughter and our Beagle in our battered caravan. Oh my what a snooty camp site it was !!! No chance of any drone flying, instant eviction if tried. We must have looked too much like pikeys :eek::D

Attachments

• 1468762986640.jpg
    1468762986640.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 244

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4