Open season to shoot down drones???

Think about it- well the cops should, whatever goes up has to come down, so if they ain't good shots- someone might get hurt by eratic cop shooting. Thank god I live in the uk

I don't think shooting down drones with guns and bullets is ever gonna get traction.
Maybe with bean bags or some other ordinance....but not bullets.

Relax :)

I'm guessing that fighting the fire would take priority over worrying about a drone. Especially when it might be in use determining the size of the fire.
You must not be aware of the problems with drones and the wildfires in California last year where drone pilots impeded the fire fighting efforts?

It'll never happen. At least with ammunition. As stated earlier, the possibility off ammo hitting something/someone else is very real. I can't imagine, with all the bad press lately with law enforcement, that this will come to fruition. The odds of missing and hitting a human is what will keep this idea at bay.

You must not be aware of the problems with drones and the wildfires in California last year where drone pilots impeded the fire fighting efforts?

If I was a terrorist or arsonists, flying a drone into the area would be a priority....JUST for this reason

Why is it too often only bad guys have brains?

Tcope, don't you have any local articles talking about the details of this law?
As a Utah native, I will admit that Utah tries to pass some...um...interesting laws...
But, having read the intention of this law (in an article I can't find now), it made more sense than the article linked above.
The law would allow Law enforcement officers (not Joe the Citizen!) to shoot down drones involved in dangerous or illegal activity,
Like trying to fly contraband into a prison, interfering with fire fighters, etc. It doesn't allow property owners to go Kentucky on any drone they see flying past
their 13 year old, 4th wife's bedroom window at the Polygamist's compound (hey, its Utah we are talking about!).

I bet within a few years the ability for an LEO to use this type of force to stop a drone will be the law of the nation.
Why shouldn't it be? If the drone is being used illegally, stop it in its tracks.

As a Utah native, I will admit that Utah tries to pass some...um...interesting laws...
But, having read the intention of this law (in an article I can't find now), it made more sense than the article linked above.
The law would allow Law enforcement officers (not Joe the Citizen!) to shoot down drones involved in dangerous or illegal activity,
Like trying to fly contraband into a prison, interfering with fire fighters, etc. It doesn't allow property owners to go Kentucky on any drone they see flying past
their 13 year old, 4th wife's bedroom window at the Polygamist's compound (hey, its Utah we are talking about!).

I bet within a few years the ability for an LEO to use this type of force to stop a drone will be the law of the nation.
Why shouldn't it be? If the drone is being used illegally, stop it in its tracks.

No. Guns would still be the wrong choice. Regardless of what loons in Utah may or may not do.
Electronic counter-measures are already available and would be appropriate for this task.

Guns are reserved for situations where imminent danger to life of limb exists.
Firing a bullet with a skward ark is about the most dangerous thing a person can do.
Bullets can travel a mile or more.
Unless a drone was headed straight for the President, the use of a gun against a drone would be "excessive" force.

Officer 339 robbery in progress shots fired 123 lake street what is your location
dispatch my location is 128 Lake street
can you respond
not right now I am trying to shoot down a drone
officer 339 you are the closest one why cant you respond
well dispatch I think I was caught on camera by this drone buying some donuts while I was on duty
across the street from the robbery, that was me firing the shots
Okay as soon as the drone is down bring us some donuts and proceed to the robbery
10-4
This is very funny LOL

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And your point is? Pretty sure there is an FAA rule against shooting at any aircraft.

I don't necessarily disagree... I'm still dissecting the Bill in order to post my comment about it directly.

However, several people have shot down drones and the FAA has _never_ gone after any of them. Also, we all know that local authorities have made countless illegal laws against drones. I would tend to agree with you on this... the Federal Govt (FAA) has stated it's illegal as you mention so local laws cannot change this.

18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

Someone could argue that the FAA's regulations were written only to affect manned aircraft (and they might win this argument) but as it stands on face value... it's illegal.

So really if you see any drone, plane or helicopter flying by and happens to come over your home you can shoot it down.... I think I am moving out of the country I call America.

No one has said this. The Utah _Bill_ only allows law enforcement, in certain situations to shot at a done. Also, it's a bill, not law.

Whatcha takin about Willis?

(see what I did there... a Provo joke!)

I've been watching but this is the first time I've seen this bill. Leave it to the hawk eyes of the members of this forum to find all things related to drones.

The law would allow Law enforcement officers (not Joe the Citizen!) to shoot down drones involved in dangerous or illegal activity, Like trying to fly contraband into a prison, interfering with fire fighters, etc. It doesn't allow property owners to go Kentucky on any drone they see flying past

I have the bill here:

Utah State Legislature

It has many parts, shooting at drones is only one part.

I'm still reading and digesting everything. While I must disagree with the bill, I don't know how strongly I'd disagree. You see a drone flying over a prison, a wildfire or airport runway... if you can hit it with a shotgun I'm not seeing this as too much of a bad thing. However, I think this should be in _VERY_ limited situations. Then, as mentioned above, there is a lot of different things in this bill.

Don't think I'm not going to be sending out some emails this weekend! :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I bet they could get it passed using something like this.

SkyWall drone defense system can drop a quadcopter from 100 meters

Eventually they will find something agreeable that will be legal to use. too many idiots and too much media. It's coming.

Yeah, they published a video in NYPost about this SkyWall "defense" system..

The best way to shoot down pesky drones!
"Unmanned drones are starting to become a real nuisance. That's why a British engineering firm invented the SkyWall, a personal launcher that will keep drones from invading your airspace."

Like really? "Pesky" drones? Drones starting to become a "real nuisance"? Cmon, its just a hobby. Why not declare war on all RC vehicles/planes/boats then?
"Defense" system? Now thats real paranoia. Someone is getting ready for dronapocalypse, and preparing to defend all innocent people from an attack by an army of angry drone robots.
What a joke. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers