OOPS

Reaction score
Close call today. It was sunny even though I had on a sunshade on the Samsung. I didn't realize what happened until I started checking/editing this video. This is the main part

You definitely threaded a needle. Sometimes Lady Luck smiles on us. Flying four Phantoms at once during the Squadron Run testing, I had a similar close call with my P4. Same situation...bright sun...trying to manage all the birds...not focused 100%. Saw this while reviewing. :eek:

(video is processing)

Reactions: dirkclod
You lucky,

Remind me when I was using vision plus, I way flying fast and suddenly I noticed electrical line (Low Voltage) I couldn't stop then the landing legs hits the line while moving fast toward the line and it flipped like a ninja upside down then it catch it self and hovered, didn't fall.

Was my lucky day

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That was a close one. I know a tree or an electric line will get me one of these days.

I had a close call yesterday. I flew to the top of a hill over a mile away where there were two water tanks. After flying over them, I turned right for several seconds where I lost connection behind another hill. It finally reconnects and I see I'm flying low over that hill. Video later shows my bird flying straight at the hill on RTH in low light. Fortunately, there was enough light for the obstacle avoidance to work as advertised. That was a close one!

That was a close one. I know a tree or an electric line will get me one of these days.

I had a close call yesterday. I flew to the top of a hill over a mile away where there were two water tanks. After flying over them, I turned right for several seconds where I lost connection behind another hill. It finally reconnects and I see I'm flying low over that hill. Video later shows my bird flying straight at the hill on RTH in low light. Fortunately, there was enough light for the obstacle avoidance to work as advertised. That was a close one!

Why not fly higher then?

Don't trust obstacle avoidance,
Always check the higher object in the area and set home return hight, higher then all the objectives

Why not fly higher then?
Originally, my plan was to turn left like I had done in the past but this time I went right using FPV at that distance. When I turned right, my focus was on a sand dune area I wanted to fly over. If I turned further right, I would have seen the hill I was about to fly behind which I under estimated its height.

My RTH is 400' which was about 10' too short, but again, the OA saved me even in that diminishing light. Another learning experience.

Don't trust obstacle avoidance,
Always check the higher object in the area and set home return hight, higher then all the objectives

You got that right. Luck was with me on that flight.

Also, that flight was an unplanned flight right after my planned distance run. It was getting dark and my family was ready to go so I flew to some water tanks on a distant hill to run my batteries down. For some boneheaded reason, the hill I turned behind after the tanks flyover wasn't on my "radar." I was surprised when I lost connection. Learning experience!

Reactions: Wibble
And just because your trip out was good don't think a hill wont just jump out of no where when your in RTH
and look away for a moment ..
Them tree's don't know how lucky they were :)

And just because your trip out was good don't think a hill wont just jump out of no where when your in RTH
and look away for a moment ..
Them tree's don't know how lucky they were :)
you need to buy a lottery ticket.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20