Only getting 480 px on Black Pearl

Reaction score
OK, only a newby to fpv, done a quick search on here but not come up with anything. I've just bought the parts for FPV and fitted them to my Phantom 2 with zenmuse 3d gimbal and gopro hero 4 black. I've not even flown with it fitted yet but obviously checked out a few things whilst on the bench. I've bought a black pearl 32 channel diversity monitor (couldn't find any one in England selling the 7 channel near where I live) , an iosd mini, and an Immersion 5.8 long range transmitter. The monitor is great, I can hook it up to my computer through the HDMI input and the picture is very sharp at 1024x600. My question is, although the picture is good from the Phantom; it only connects at 480px. It seems I wasted my money getting a higher res monitor if that the max it's going to connect at, the gopro is set to record at 4K but I believe it only outputs through the usb port at 1080p. Is there a weak point in the system that's dropping the resolution down? If I set it to PAL I get a slightly better resolution; about 575px I think; but then the gopro will only record at 25fps instead of the 30fps I get on ntsc. What determines what the resolution is limited to, the camera, the transmitter, the receiver, or is the iosd mini maybe doing something? I realise this isn't a digital signal as such so maybe I shouldn't be thinking in terms of pixels per inch but I would still like to know if I can get a better resolution out of the set up I have? Or is that the best I will get.

The video signal sent from the gopro is going to be limited by the transmission standard you chose, ntsc or pal. The ntsc standard is 720x480 30fs where pal is 720x576 25fs. I do not know if the black pearl up scales the video or not, my guess is that it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I was thinking of the HDMI output of the Gopro when 1080p came in to my head. I've been reading up a little since I posted here and the composite output from the Gopro seems to be a bit of a disappointment to most FPV flyers, still if that's what you get then that's what you get.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic