One Transmitter To Unite Them All

DKDarkness said:
OI Photography said:
Always glad to help! Let us know if you need any more assistance with the Taranis or the Phantom in general :)

A quick question (have the Taranis in the mail, along with a Bixler 2)

Can you use the S-Bus port along side the 8 channels, or is it either 8 normal channels, or the S-Bus?

Yes, yes and yes :) You can configure it either way...where the 8 channel outputs mirror the S-bus, or where it's 8 channels on S-bus + 8 regular channels. You can also set which channel group (1-8 or 9-16) is assigned to S-bus and which group is assigned to the traditional ports.

OI Photography said:
DKDarkness said:
OI Photography said:
Always glad to help! Let us know if you need any more assistance with the Taranis or the Phantom in general :)

A quick question (have the Taranis in the mail, along with a Bixler 2)

Can you use the S-Bus port along side the 8 channels, or is it either 8 normal channels, or the S-Bus?

Yes, yes and yes :) You can configure it either way...where the 8 channel outputs mirror the S-bus, or where it's 8 channels on S-bus + 8 regular channels. You can also set which channel group (1-8 or 9-16) is assigned to S-bus and which group is assigned to the traditional ports.

Wow! Thanks for the reply, now I really can't wait to get the Taranis :)

Did you remove the existing Rx from the Phanton, or just unplug it? I might down the road decide to convert my P2V to a overprized P2 :) (change the Tx and Rx from 5.8 to 2.4 gHz)

DKDarkness said:
Wow! Thanks for the reply, now I really can't wait to get the Taranis :)

Did you remove the existing Rx from the Phanton, or just unplug it? I might down the road decide to convert my P2V to a overprized P2 :) (change the Tx and Rx from 5.8 to 2.4 gHz)

You're going to love it. There's also a new FPV monitor mount for it from RaveCreative (the same guy who makes that great mount for the Phantom controller): http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/

I removed the Phantom's stock Rx, once you have it unplugged it's just a matter of two small screws and pulling the antenna leads out. Putting a 2.4GHz Phantom Rx in your P2V should be just as simple (though I have never done it myself).

Phil Ravenshear (Raven Design) is a great guy, here he is wearing my T-shirt I sent him (idroneon.com)
holding a couple of his Phantom transmitter mounts. I will send one to Ol Photography for his help
with my question today if he sends me a mailing address and size. BTW web site is not set up yet
but T-shirts are done.

Attachments

• Phil.jpg
    Phil.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 456
Hahaha nice! Thanks, PM sent :)

That's funny because I've chatted with Phil a bunch while lobbing (ok begging) for the Taranis version of the mount, but I confess I don't have any pics of him in my clothes :lol:

Gizmo 3000 have you set it up for the Arris 3000 Pro Gimbal yet?
I would like to know if you have how you like that combination
of the Taranis and Arris.

Need help!

This is where I have got to....

I've installed and bound a X8R with a GPS s.port module in the Phantom 2 (incorrectly called sbus in the image):

I've loaded this eepe file to the X9D:

When I connect the Phantom 2 to the PT2 Assistant it all seems to work, in that the switch for GPS, ATTI and Manual responds ok, as does the failsafe switch and the main TAER sticks (is that the correct order?). The issue is that X1 is not responding. As such I cannot tilt the camera on the H3-3D Gimbal. Any ideas on how to look at fixing this?

Attachments

• X8R Installedmed.jpg
    X8R Installedmed.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 593
  • GPS Installedmed.JPG
    GPS Installedmed.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 501
  • Phantom2.eepe.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 157
  • mixes.jpg
    mixes.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Inputs.jpg
    Inputs.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 422
The eeprom you used has the gimbal control set up on channel 8, which doesn't go through the NAZA, probably used by a non-DJI gimbal.

Try the eeprom I've attached or at least open it up to look at the mixes, it should give you an idea of how the setup should look on each channel. This one is set up as follows:

-Flight mode is on SC
-IOC is on SB
-Failsafe is on SF
-Gimbal tilt is controlled by the right slider, and it's been slowed down a bit for smooth motion.

Attachments

• Taranis Phantom.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 148
Ah - ok, many thanks OI.

For everybody - Here is what I think the different tabs are used for in the OPEN TX software to program the Taranis X9D Transmitter. It's a mixture of facts, questions and frustrations but could be useful in the future, especial if people can find the time to plough through it and add any additional information, insights, or answers to the questions.

Tabs: Heli, Flight Modes, Servos, and Curves can be ignored for a Phantom 2 configuration.

Setup
  • Allows you to apply up to 2 timers to switches, but you cannot bind them to events e.g. props free (engines started)
  • Configures Throttle options
  • Allows you to setup centre bleeps for the sticks - handy if you are learning!
  • Setup the switch warnings for a status check on startup - safety feature
  • Allows you to configure the setting for the items defined in the inputs tab - for failsafe mode. Note this isn't channels, this is inputs (see below)

Inputs
This is a very confusing tab for me. It appears to be some form of abstraction to setup something called an input that is later mapped to the physical Channels on the Receiver in the Mixes tab. Can anyone explain why this tab is needed, what it is used to do and in what way it provides functionality?
  • Have only ever seen eepe files that have just the 4 main control sticks - Rud, Ele, Thr, Ail, but there are 32 definitions available. Are the input slots / numbers significant - do they track back to that mysterious Default Channel Order variable that is presented both in the specific eepe general settings tab and also in the Radio Profile window accessed from the main application icon bar? What is Default Channel Order actually used for in the application?
  • Has parameters to modify control signal settings (weight and expo) by assigning a switch to modify the behaviour of what happens when you for example increase the throttle. What other inputs might there be? Isn't the gimbal tilt an input?

Mixes
This looks like the most important tab to get things working between the X9D and the Aircraft. Appears to map inputs or switches or sliders (does it do logical switches as well?) to the Real Channels used by the Receiver and the flight controller. If you don't know what channels do what at the aircraft side your are doomed to failure. I was doomed as in my case the X8R receiver was connected to the Naza M (Phantom version), over an SBUS link. I do not know the SBUS channel definitions so I had no idea what channel did what as it's a one wire connection. However, I now believe for my setup (thanks again OI) the Channel definition needs to be:
  • Channel 1: Is Ail
  • Channel 2: Is Ele
  • Channel 3: Is Thr
  • Channel 4: Is Rud
  • Channel 5: Is Gimbal Tilt in my case (I have a DJI Zenmuse H3-3D)
  • Channel 6: Is IOC control (Off, Course Lock, Home Lock)
  • Channel 7: Is Flight Mode (GPS, ATTI, Manual or Failsafe)
  • Channel 8: Don't know what this is mapped to if anything? If there are no more control channels for the Phantom 2 over SBUS, I could add more kit and plug it directly into Channel 8 on the X8R in the Phantom 2 and control it that way - such as a 3rd Party Gimbal or set of LED lights etc.

Logical Switches
Used to compare values and define events - such as low battery. Presented in Polish Notation to confuse anyone who isn't either a Java programmer or a logic boffin from Poland who lived in the 1920's. All you get is a label imaginatively named L1, L2, L3, ... L32, making it almost unusable if you didn't define the logic event yourself. You might get some clues from the Special Functions tab if a Ln is mentioned with a sensibly named sound file. Otherwise you will have to reverse engineer the logic. This is probably the most powerful tab in the whole software. I hope someday somebody can produce a layman's guide to how this tab should be configured for really useful features.

Special Functions
  • Seemingly a crazy name for what at first appears to simply be a means of allocating sounds to switch position or logic event. Not sure where the special lies in this tab. Can someone explain how you would use this for something other than a sound to explain what you think you just did with a switch movement? Is this tab active in any way or is it used just for announcements?
  • Worth mentioning here something that held me back for weeks - the sound files need to be sampled in multiples of 8, that is - 8 or 16 or 32 cycles otherwise nothing happens when you try to play the sound. As the simulator does't generate the sounds on a MAC when in simulation mode (a rather large gap in the simulator functionality) and you don't get an error message, it appears like the whole eepe is not working.

Telemetry
Confuses the heck out of me this one. But I will have to get to grips with it to display the GPS module data I have attached to the X8R using the s.port on the Receiver.
  • Does anyone know if you have access to the Phantom 2 metrics like the iOSD mini metrics, or do you need FrSKY telemetry modules for this function to come alive?

fidget,
I am a newbie to radio programing. I have been flying my Phantom 2 with Zenmus H3-3d gimbal and ground station monitor for only a couple months, with the DJI std radio. I have just purchased a Taranis and it came Friday. I don't know how to program it and was looking for some help. It seems you have had experience with the same Phantom 2 and Taranis radio. Could you please help me get started.
My e-mail is [email protected]

Tom

Hi Tom,
I think we are all a bit new to this. :D
Once I get mine working I intend to post the results.
Watch this space.
Neil.

Ok, all setup and working now.
Here is the epee file I use:

It's configured very much like the original Phantom 2 controller. But has a bit more functionality such as a dedicated failsafe switch and a switch to move the camera straight down, straight forward, or any tilt angle using the left slider. There is also an experimental gain setting on Switch B.

SF = Failsafe return to home
SE = Gimbal Control: ^ is camera straight down, - is camera manual tilt control on LS, v is camera straight forward
SA = IOC: ^ is IOC off, - is course lock, v is home lock [needs NAZA mode setting on, in the DJI assistant software]
SD = Flight Mode: ^ is GPS, - is ATTI, v is manual [Needs configuring in the DJI assistant software; v can be set to failsafe if preferred]
SB = Gain adjustments: ^ is off, - is rudder only, v is on everything!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 519
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 545
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 576
  • Phantom2.eepe.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 150
Just wanted to express my satisfaction with the FrSky Taranis X9D. (Using it on a fixed wing Bixler 2 though). Voltage sensor, attitude sensor rocks! Predefining when the battery is low or critical, then audio alert, predefining height limit (only to be told what the current attitude is). The taranis is just telling you, you are in deep s***, up to you to act or ignore. I have got my freedom back! :-D

OI Photography said:
Mickeyboo said:
I've got a Taranis, Phantom 2 with H3-3D Gimbal and IOSD Mini, I've got it programmed and done
the binding. (I will also take a look at Eeprom mentioned in this thread) What I would really appreciate
is a little guidance on how to connect and configure the X8R to S Bus on Naza 2. Photos I've
found in searches are not clear enough for me to figure out where it plugs into the Naza 2 besides that
it needs to be done on the S Bus (do I need jumpers for example). One other question I've got is
about the antennas attached to X8R...should I just widen holes in bottom of Phantom to put them
thru or does someone have a better suggestion? Perhaps once I remove the top of the Phantom it will be
more intuitive but I thought I would ask here. Thanks very much in advance for any advice or links people can provide.
Calm Winds To All

It's a simple one-cable connection from the S-Bus port on the X8R to the X2 port on the NAZA, no jumpers needed. This pic will show you the general idea (your NAZA and mainboard will look different, but the connection to the receiver is the same):
C8VQ9Lil.jpg

As for the antennae you can open up the X8R, unplug them, feed them through a hole in the body, and then reconnect to the receiver. This shows you what it looks like if you open it up:
trFjzChl.jpg

You can scrape off the yellow glue on the antenna terminals to unplug them. FrSky also makes longer antenna leads you can replace yours with if placement gets to be a pain...that's what I did with the X8R in my Phantom since the stock ones with the black ends were too short to deal with.

Where can I buy these antennas? Ate the pads in the end of the antennas important? Broke one a few days ago..

Also in SD i have GPS-Atti- Manual.. FOr the manual how can I use 2 "buttons" to activate it? I dont want to trigger it accidentaly.. I has happened to me in the Dji MC :s

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers