One of my props pulls off - locking slip washer gone

Reaction score
So I've had my Phantom for three whole days and have been really enjoying it!

Today I went to the yard for a gentle flight...mostly to practice flying in ATTI mode instead of GPS.

I brought it down to land and it laid over...props caught the ground, it did a bit of a hop, and corrected itself, right back into the air. It seemed like a pretty gentle "crash".

(By the way, I have the prop guards, too!)

So I brought it to my location and landed it gently. Checked everything out and it seemed OK.

I started it back up and one prop wouldn't turn. Weird. I powered down, and tried spinning that prop. It was "chunky", obviously catching on something.

I pulled up gently to see if something just needed to be seated better. I was surprised to see that the prop pulled off...albeit with a bit of effort, as the magnets really hold it on.

I looked inside the prop and saw a locking slip washer, and knew right away that this washer attaches to the prop spindle, keeping the prop on the Phantom.

I put the prop back on, and it spins freely now. So I suspect the washer was keeping it from spinning.

It flies OK now, without that washer. My question:

1. Is the magnetic force of the phantom enough to hold the prop on??

2. If not, how the heck do I get that spindle exposed so I can put on a replacement washer? And where would I get one??

Many thanks for any advice you can give. I'm surprised such a minor "crash", if that's what you'd call it, would sideline me. :-(

Yeah...it's a phantom. I'm probably using the wrong terminology...the prop and its metal housing pull up and off the motor.

The magnets of the motor hold that sucker on there pretty tight. But there was obviously a locking washer that attached to the spindle behind the motor.

So I found the washer (which looks like a brass barrel spacer, really) - but no e clip.

Was able to get a couple e clips at NAPA auto parts.

BUT...I found that when I put the washer/spacer on the shaft, the shaft is not long enough! The e clip can't get in the groove, as the groove is not even visible.

So I see up by the prop a place a hex nut that holds the shaft on. Of course, there's no way I can loosen it. I don't have the right wrench. I guess I'll need to head to home depot and try to find what I need.

I'm pretty sure that, in my case, my prop was never really secured properly. The washer/spacer was put on, as was the e clip, but the e clip never seated properly since the shaft was too short.

My little bump to the ground was likely enough to jar the e clip loose.

Man, I've spent a lot of time on this and it's STILL not right. Bummer.

B&H Photo has sent me an RMA and return label. I might just send it back and hope for a better-made one.

I'd rather not be without it for 10 days, but oh well...

I'm going to look at the replacement motors as well. I would guess you have to crack the bird open to replace? Is there soldering involved, or a wiring harness?

Yes, you will have to open up the Phantom to replace the motor, and yes soldering is involved. The stock motors in the phantom have their connections soldered straight to the ESC boards, instead of using bullet connectors or other quick-change options.

This thread has some pics of the connectors I added when I swapped my motors out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4003&p=27644#p27644

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj