One of my mainboard diodes burned down :( , Help Pls

Reaction score
Hi there fellow pilots

Guys we've got a situation here , one of small parts on my phantom 2 motherboard burned to dust i thinks it's a diode ,
you know that 4 cables under phantom 2 ! they are connected on board, under that connector there is 2 diodes ( if they are diode ) which i think protect motherboard from wrong pole connections and voltage returns ! for some reason ( i think wrong pole connection ) this happend :

2dt9en7.jpg

here is link to full image if it's cropped
http://oi57.tinypic.com/2dt9en7.jpg
All i need is the name of that diode or whatever and model , so i can replace it !!

Thanks in advance

Hello,
i have the same problem yesterday.., how you solved the problem???? no any info about it

thanks

Check the component next to it with an Ohm Meter, then reverse the meter leads and test it again. A diode should give little resistance reading in one lead polarity and high resistance in the other.

If you get no or low resistance in either direction, chances are it is a Choke meant to be sacrificial to protect other parts of the circuit. If that is the case, the burnt one next to it is probably also a choke.

There is good and bad if it is a choke. The good is you can bypass it to test the circuit for further damage. The bad is if the polarity is reversed while the choke is bypassed, there WILL be circuit damage. If this is feeding an ESC, it could be protecting against a high current that would make a diode impractical due to the physical size it woud have to be.

Your best bet would be ordering a new circuit board.

I have the same problem. I upgraded from Boscam TS353 tx to ImmersionRC 5.8 600mW tx but reused the same Boscam power cable connectors.

Immersion RC tx uses the reverse polarity.

So I burnt the same part.

Any chance of salvaging the mobo? How much is a new mobo?
thanks.

Hi
here is my burnt component on the main board.

Attachments

• 1-DSC_6281-001.JPG
    1-DSC_6281-001.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 2,425
only a couple of reasons those let out the magic smoke.

#1 reverse polarity on power input. (in the is case that can only happen if you replaced the battery connector and soldered on the wires backwards or DJI install the diode backwards and never powered up the craft. before you getting it and this happened as soon as you powered it up.)

#2 A short circuit down stream of the diode. With out a schematic or the actual unit in front of me , won't be able to tell.

there could be other components damaged and if you replace that one before finding out what caused it the fault my be present and cause more damage.

replace the main PCB.

In looking at that PCB closer on other sites it looks more like a capacitor.

Either way a new PCB is ~$60.

Best be safe.

I did that to mine by plugging in the camera cable with the phantom still powered, letting the smoke out. I ordered a new board and when it came I did some tests to see what the component is, with a multimeter it is 0.1 ohm both ways, the end furthest from the other component is connected directly to the main power in. I have a bunch of boffins at work, (we work in undersea fibre optics) and we all decided it was a fuse or some other type of protector. Interestingly my dji vision still flew ok, it just wasn't reporting gps or battery status back to the vision app. I'll be replacing that component on my board with a fuse in the near future to see if I can recover it. In the meantime everyone should report honestly and with as much info how they let the smoke out so we can get a list of things NOT to do to our phantoms!!

Do let me know if the component can be replaced. Else I will have to fork out Usd80 (it's more expensive where i am)

Let me know how it goes Good luck!

Without a schematic you have no idea what your measuring.

Simply measuring/probing across the component does not account for what else is connected to those two points you are touching with the probes.

You need a schematic or to remove or isolate the component to do a resistance test.

Luckily I work on a glass half full principle and considering my short happened right next to the component, and I had 0.1 ohm across the new component and infinity where it used to be, and the track is complete to the point of the short I can only conclude that the component measures as it appears. Thats my opinion from 14 years of component level troubleshooting. Anyway with the chance of getting a schematic from dji about as likely as getting a refund I dont see what there is to loose...

Reactions: iowahill
i had the very same part burn up the other day when working on a phantom 2 vision. and the white cables plug end was broken and it end up touching a tool on my work bench and POOF. went that very same part and I also noticed the 2 pin legs going in to the plug connecter burned up and I had to repair them. and it looks like yours are now gone to. I haven't figured out if thats a diode or a resistor. but I noticed they look just like some of the resisters inside the camera but don't know there values if they are resistors. But what ever that part is its part of the circuit to the cameras cable. But the cable still has 12v dc coming out of it so I'm assuming its some thing to do with the wifi communication circuit. and author weird thing is it also burned on of the board connecting pins up in the gps unit that the compass plugs in to up in the top of the phantom. I have no idea how it found a path to there. At all. But the compass still is fine if I plug it in to the main board instead of the gps board.

But i did notice there is an un used plug on the board marked fan that has on of them components right next to it. and is not being used on the board. I thought about stealing it from that spot to fix the burned one.

Just did come checking with my meter on the one next to the burnt one and the one by the fan and it seems to have more resistance in one direction then the other. One direction Id get about 2 ohms the other was 220ish. Tho what was weird is I could also get a reading from one side and touching the other probe to any other part on the board. and It also was hard to get a reading inless I got threw the coating they have on every most every thing to insulate them.

Hello,
I have the same problem. I've turned my PT2 on and the compass was completely off. I had the red/green/yellow lights flashing, asking for an advanced calibration. And the suddenly I had smoke coming out of the shell. I turned it directly off and removed the battery. When I arrived home, I opened my PT2 and saw that one part burned. Does anyone knows what part it is? The PT2 is still ok to be turned on but I don't know if it can fly.
Thanks for your help.
Here is the picture:

Attachments

• PT2.jpg
    PT2.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 2,179
I had the same problem, I solved it by changing the power for the transmission which is connected to the battery.
I also reversed the polarity!

Attachments

• mainb.JPG
    mainb.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 1,148
got the same problem...can i replace this burning part?anyone got a real information what that is??

Attachments

• kvar2.jpg
    kvar2.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 4,797

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20