ONE OF MY BEST DRONE FLIGHTS EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like to be the naysayer, but the wildlife harassment laws are pretty clear:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/dontfeedorharass.htm

These are in addition to the broader and more general guidelines:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Responsible Use to Help Protect Marine Mammals :: NOAA Fisheries

There's a reason the boats are at a distance; I'd question whether they're far enough away to meet the legal requirement. The drone decent over the herd certainly seemed to cause a reaction at least 3 times, and I think it clearly meets the definition from the MMPA.

As a certified pilot, and fellow drone flyer, please consider a change in your flying so we all aren't subjected to further restrictions of the airspace as a result.

Thank you,

Bobby

I don't like to be the naysayer, but the wildlife harassment laws are pretty clear:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Responsible Use to Help Protect Marine Mammals :: NOAA Fisheries

There's a reason the boats are at a distance; I'd question whether they're far enough away to meet the legal requirement. The drone decent over the herd certainly seemed to cause a reaction at least 3 times, and I think it clearly meets the definition from the MMPA.

As a certified pilot, and fellow drone flyer, please consider a change in your flying so we all aren't subjected to further restrictions of the airspace as a result.

Thank you,

Bobby
YOUR WAY OVER REACTING AND EXAGGERATING! GET OFF IT! ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT GET THINGS RESTRICTED AND BANNED WHY POST IT HERE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE???? THAT'S SMART OF YOU! WHY NOT JUST PM IT SO I CAN ADDRESS IT DIRECTLY TO YOU!

YOUR WAY OVER REACTING AND EXAGGERATING! GET OFF IT! ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT GET THINGS RESTRICTED AND BANNED WHY POST IT HERE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE???? THAT'S SMART OF YOU! WHY NOT JUST PM IT SO I CAN ADDRESS IT DIRECTLY TO YOU!

Are you having issues with your Caps Lock button?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Itay and mikesmiley
Have to agree- to close. I can see the attraction though

Sorry but you have a warped sense of right and wrong.

Reactions: konidair
If your best video is of wildlife being harassed then your portfolio must really suck.

You must be a weirdo vegan/ vegetarian. I'm sure he's at least 100 ft up, so how is he harassing wild life?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you,

Bobby

Quoted for your education

Ok. So he should have been at least 150 ft in the air.

The relevant section of the MMPA law is the one regarding the distance of the drone from the seals:

"Observing whales, dolphins, porpoises, and seals from a safe distance of at least 333 yards (1,000) feet by air"

There are several mentions on other forums of enforcement with harsh penalties.

As much as we'd all like to get great video, the risks of real harm or further regulation aren't worth it to the wildlife, the rest of the flying community (everyone reading this, and anyone who flies any type of device, manned or not), and to the non-flying public.

As a certified pilot, and fellow drone flyer, I have (we all have) an obligation to not sit idly by and say nothing when one of our own (yes, we will all be considered part of the same group by non-flyers) does something like this. Frankly, it's embarrassing to watch and think of what an observer might have been thinking about drone pilots, knowing that I'm lumped into that group. This sort of non-compliance with reasonable expectations should be met with clear disapproval, as each of the responders to the original post have attempted to do.

My first reply was an attempt to provide information in case the original poster was unaware of the legal issues. The original poster's responses have made it clear in this case, as we've all seen from others on this forum, that some don't care about the risks.

As a community, my opinion is that we need to actively disengage from those who act this way, and disassociate those individuals from our community for the betterment of us all. If we don't self-regulate our hobby (and in many cases, profession), we'll soon find the regulations so strict that our hobby effectively doesn't exist. Just how long they are allowed to be a member of Phantom Pilots is something worthy of discussion; there is hope they would learn from others and adjust behavior to acceptable standards. What do you think?

Bobby

A couple of comments: I spend a great deal of time out on the water and understand the importance of not feeding and/or harassing Marine Mammals. I think it's important for people to know the guidance and regulations for their area of the country as they do differ. I also agree that we all need to be smart in how we fly and not bring any unneeded negative attention to this hobby. However, there is never a need to publicly blast people who have either made a mistake or are unaware of the MMA guidance and regulations. That's not how people learn. It is however how you alienate them from a group that can provide valuable information and support.

Nuff Said......

From the NOAA Fisheries site:
How can people responsibly view marine mammals in the wild?

NOAA Fisheries Service supports responsible viewing of marine mammals in the wild. Each of our six Regional Offices have developed viewing guidelines or regulations tailored to the specific needs of the species in their area to help people responsibly view the animals and avoid harassment. In general, the guidelines recommend:

• Observing wild dolphins, porpoises, and seals from safe distances of at least 50 yards (150 feet) by land or sea
  • Observing large whales from a safe distance of at least 100 yards (300 feet) by land or sea
  • Observing whales, dolphins, porpoises, and seals from a safe distance of at least 333 yards (1,000) feet by air (In fairness I think we can all agree the 1000 ft guideline is for a manned aircraft)
  • Use binoculars or telephoto lenses for a better view of the animals
  • Limit overall viewing time to no more than 30 minutes
  • Avoid circling or entrapping marine mammals between watercraft, or watercraft and shore
  • Avoid abrupt movements or loud noises around marine mammals
  • Avoid separating mother/calf pairs
  • Move away cautiously if behaviors are observed that indicate the animal is stressed
  • Avoid touching or swimming with wild marine mammals, even if they approach you

Last edited:
Ok. So he should have been at least 150 ft in the air.

He shouldn't have been there PERIOD at any altitude. Those seals didn't go for swim because it was a hot sunny day they were frightened and that constitutes harassment..

Yes. Dude was a little too close. But 1000 feet is absurd for an electric quad. Perhaps 150 feet would have been okay and then he could digital zoom it in post.

I won't even talk about harassing animals and what not. the real crime here is props in shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik