One Motor Won't Spin Up - Very Odd LED/Beep Indicators

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched high and low for someone experiencing the LED/beep combination I currently have, with no success.

A few weeks ago I suffered a crash in which the Phantom 2 fell into about a foot of powdery snow (eww…). I immediately removed the battery, brought it inside, opened up the shell, dried off as much of the moisture as I could, and left the P2 open for several hours to dry out.

After putting her back together, I got the following:
On startup, after the normal startup beep pattern, one ESC (the rear CCW, not sure what motor number that is) is beeping, and the LED on the OTHER rear motor (the rear CW) is blinking yellow. There is NO indicator light ESC that is beeping, and the motor on that ESC will not spin up.

In other words:
Rear CW motor: motor spinning normally, blinking yellow indicator
Rear CCW motor: motor will not spin up, no indicator light, ESC is beeping.

I figured the motor that wouldn't spin up was damaged, so I replaced it with a new one, but that didn't solve the problem; everything is still the same as before.

I figured my next try would be to replace the rear CCW ESC (the one that won't spin up), but I wanted to check with you fine forum folks before ordering, in case the forum has more wisdom than I do.

Many thanks for any help...

On reflection, I think I realized that the yellow blinking indicator on the OTHER rear motor (the rear CW one) is simply the normal "ready to fly without GPS lock" indication… meaning it is normal, and the only issue is that the rear CCW ESC is not functioning properly.

I'm going to check all the connections to make sure the rear CCW ESC is getting power, then unless someone here has a better idea, I'll go ahead and replace that ESC.

Sounds like the way to go. Make sure you get the same version esc as you have. You don't mention which phantom 2 you have.
On the white label at end of esc there will either be just a serial number, or a serial with v2.0 written above it, or a serial with v2.1 written above it.

I'm the biggest dumb *** on Planet Dumb ***.

I just went to check to make sure all the connections were still intact after the crash, none of the solder joints had been broken, etc…. and saw that the orange and brown 4-wire ribbon cable between the main board and the ESC had become unplugged, apparently with the impact.

I plugged it back in and now the Phantom is working perfectly.

I feel like a complete idiot.

P.S.- My existing ESCs are v2.0s (in fact on the little white printed sticker they don't say EITHER v2 or v2.1, they just don't say anything! I've read elsewhere that some of the v2s don't list the version number on the sticker, just on the board itself… which does say v2).

I went on HeliPal and they sell the v2.1 ESCs, but I wasn't able to find the v2.0s… does anywhere still sell the old ones, or when one of my ESCs actually DOES go, will I just need to replace all four?

If you can't find the same one you would have to buy 4 new onces.
Btw, I don't think you are a dumb at all; you had all the right thoughts and did all the right things and that in a short time [THUMBS UP SIGN][emoji106]

If you want to try and get a v2 as to have as a spare. maybe try some places that dont move stock really fast that might still have a v2 and have it for a spare so you dont have to ever replace all 4. And I always notice when I have a spare murphys law will make it were you never get to use it. ;p;

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31