Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

One Motor Seems Tight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeff in ohio, Jul 16, 2013.

1. jeff in ohio

Hi All.Great site!I have a Phantom with three flights on it.I noticed that one of the motors appears tighter than the others.If I spin the props by hand,one spools down more quickly than the rest.Would you say this is a sign of a bearing issue?This seems to me to not be right.Looking for some advice.Thanks,JK

2. cssfly

Make sure the shell of the phantom is snapped together firmly as it has no lee way around the motors.. the motor could be rubbing against the plastic...

3. BruceTS

had the same issue with one of my motors, eventually replaced the bearings and now things are fine.

4. jeff in ohio

Checked clearance,and no rubbing.Seems to be the motor.Is the bearing change a huge pain?!I have been into cars and helis for 20 + years,so I have done nearly everything in this hobby.One thing I have yet to do is tear into an outrunner.Thanks,JK

5. BruceTS

There's videos on youtube on how to change the bearings. I'd first keep an eye on that motor and fly some more, it just maybe tight clearances between the magnets and stator. However if it constantly gets warmer to the touch than the others, it usually means something is rubbing inside or bearing going bad.

6. jeff in ohio

Thanks for the info!I took all four motors apart,and lubed them with a drop of Trinity Royal Oil for mod rc car motor ball bearings.Huge difference!While apart,I drilled the chassis below the motor for future oiling.Flies great,and all motors are very quiet and cool to the touch after 6 minutes of flight.I highly recommend this mod to anyone with a Phantom.Thanks Again,JK