One motor dead on new PV2+

Reaction score
Hi folks,

After 1.5 weeks of studying the documentation I decided to start my Vision+ motors to see if everything was ok. They all started. While in my office, I then decided to attach the propellers and to calibrate the aircraft. That all worked normally. But after turning everything on in proper sequence, I started the motors - holding down the craft with my hand. All props started to rotate, but the front left motor lifted up slightly and then started to turn in a jerky fashion at a slow speed. The led on that arm of the plane blinked RED. I reset everything and again started the plane without the props - everything ok - no blinking red lights under the left front arm. This time the motor didn't "lift" out of the plastic housing as it did with the prop on it. I repeated everything but with one prop attached (front left). Motor didn't rise, but the engine rotated the prop in a jerky slow fashion regardless of the throttle speed.

I touched the top of the prop, and the prop seemed underpowered - the same w/o the prop.

I have never flown the plane. I've used the Assist tool and everything seems to checkout.

The front motor spins normally w/o the prop and no longer lifts up. But in touching the top of the motor w/o the prop, the motor seems weak. Do you think the ESC is at fault? Could it be that the motor outer ring has disconnected from its shaft? I'm nervous about taking it apart because, hopefully, it is under warrantee by B&H.

Thank you for your help!
-Tim

It sounds like the circlip that secures the motor shaft may have become detached.

This would cause the motor to appear to 'lift' when run with a prop fitted as the thrust from the prop would begin to pull the shaft through the bearings.

Attachments

• djimotor.jpg
    djimotor.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 491
That clip will be on the motor due to the powerful magnets used in it.

Thank you all for your comments and pictures. Having seen a you tube on balancing motors, I immediately thought that the circlip had popped off. Oddly, however, I could not lift the shell manually after the first event of its popping up. In any case, I decided to call B&H who has always provided me with good service and not to mess with the fracas. This morning, they sent me a new plane with 2-day expedited delivery and free two way delivery. I suspect DJI will just throw it into a trash heap when they receive it.

Why do you suppose the RED LED was blinking on the arm with the faulty motor? Perhaps their logic senses current fluctuations in order to invoke a fail-safe mode.

Thanks again everybody.

If the motor body actually lifted up, its a screw retention issue. Are the retaining screws in place under the motor? Did you install prop guards and use the short screws? Sometimes those longer screws can damage the motor if you take off the prop guards and reuse them instead of the original shorter ones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik