One motor damaged or more

Reaction score
I met a bush and didn't have the presence of mind to shut down the motors - one isn't running st all now but I suspect I might be better swapping all motors - I assume the esc will either be good or dead.

Is it a good time to maybe upgrade ?

Thank you

I met a bush and didn't have the presence of mind to shut down the motors - one isn't running st all now but I suspect I might be better swapping all motors - I assume the esc will either be good or dead.

Is it a good time to maybe upgrade ?

Thank you

You more than likely you damaged the ESC module and not the motor. Brushless motors only have three moving parts 2 bearings and outer magnet housing.

Only just got done with kids summer holidays so am back !
Thank you Jason for this.
I might be wise to just change all the esc first then I guess.
Even though the motors don't have many moving parts could the electrical parts at the motor be damaged ?

Ok this from drone fliers website

NOTE: Some Phantom 2 models were updated in November, 2014 to include heavier-duty motors, better propellers and a new transmitter and compass with improvements. You may want to specify (to your choice of vendors) that you want the newest model (sometimes designated as version 3). One way of confirming that you have the newest model is that it has a rechargeable LiPo battery in the transmitter.

Ok this from drone fliers website

NOTE: Some Phantom 2 models were updated in November, 2014 to include heavier-duty motors, better propellers and a new transmitter and compass with improvements. You may want to specify (to your choice of vendors) that you want the newest model (sometimes designated as version 3). One way of confirming that you have the newest model is that it has a rechargeable LiPo battery in the transmitter.

There was no version three and to be able which motors improvements that were made look at the ccw motors shaft. The new 2312 motors shaft is all black while the 2212 motor has a black dot on the end of the shaft. With the new motors you can use either the 9450 for more lift or the standard 9443 and same for the original motors. You cannot tell which model P2 you have by the transmitter you are using as both can be used on the original model. I own both transmitters and fly a version 1 P2.

Reactions: landed
Thanks again yes I have solid 'dark' and normal spindles so I am pretty sure I have version 2. Thanks I guess I shoud just order the esc and see how we go. Many thanks Jason.

Just be careful with the ESC's. I think there is 3 variants for the P2 and may not be compatible with certain motors and existing ESC's. If the wrong version is installed the P2 will beep funny on initialisation.
(Apologies though, I cant find the links).

Just be careful with the ESC's. I think there is 3 variants for the P2 and may not be compatible with certain motors and existing ESC's. If the wrong version is installed the P2 will beep funny on initialisation.
(Apologies though, I cant find the links).

There were only two ESC modules v2.0 the original and the newer v2.1 which should be the only one available. The v2.1 ESC board can be used in the original P2 but must be used with 2312 motors.

ok thanks again - just running into a screw issue for now need to get the dremel out and cut a new 'head' to accept a driver or try and cut them off and somehow get a new fixing in place. I have 2 screws which have rounded off from my last repair (I'm not normally an oaf mechanic).

ok thanks again - just running into a screw issue for now need to get the dremel out and cut a new 'head' to accept a driver or try and cut them off and somehow get a new fixing in place. I have 2 screws which have rounded off from my last repair (I'm not normally an oaf mechanic).

This sound nuts to some but have you thought about super glue metal to metal. Using a dremel could damage the shell then you'd have to replace it.

I just looked at the link you posted about the ESC board. Who ever wrote this didn't have a clue. "These are V2.0 ESC's also referred to as V3.0 that fit the 2312 motors. Not recommended for use with the V1 Phantom 2."

I did think for a moment about glue but didn't think it would hold and the risk of it 'wicking' into the tight cracks is big. There is enough of the shell I think I can test some attempts at drilling or cutting the screw head off.
On the matter of which phantom I have I think its a p2 version 2 and am getting beyond caring now anyways too long I have not been in the air :) I will keep this thread going with the repair..

I did think for a moment about glue but didn't think it would hold and the risk of it 'wicking' into the tight cracks is big. There is enough of the shell I think I can test some attempts at drilling or cutting the screw head off.
On the matter of which phantom I have I think its a p2 version 2 and am getting beyond caring now anyways too long I have not been in the air :) I will keep this thread going with the repair..

You'd be surprise at how strong super glue is on metal to metal.

its the most ive* been tempted all week ! lets see.. [i support the minimisation of punctuation online]

Put a small amount on the end of a screw and stick it one of the stripped screws. After it dries see if you can carefully remove that stripped one. Should be allot safer then a dremel tool.

Last edited:
Here are two photos of 2 screws super glued together holding up a 3lb hammer.
Super glued screws_01.jpg
Super glued screws_02.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31