Once and for all...GoPro control myth?

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the definitive answer, does a version of the DJI Phantom (or any other manufacture) exist that allows the same complete control of the camera as in the vision+, with a GoPro (3-4)? Start/stop video, take a picture, change settings, color balance, etc.... ? Not asking about gimbal... Just the camera control?

ChristoHD said:
I can't seem to find the definitive answer, does a version of the DJI Phantom (or any other manufacture) exist that allows the same complete control of the camera as in the vision+, with a GoPro (3-4)? Start/stop video, take a picture, change settings, color balance, etc.... ? Not asking about gimbal... Just the camera control?

The question is a lot more general that it first appears, but I infer the only multicopter you are excluding from the question is the Vision+.

It is possible that this might work a bit in a P2 NV, but you would be mad to try since the control frequency is the same as the GoPro uses to control it. It might appear to work, but once you get a couple of hundred metres away and all the quad control receiver can hear is your GoPro chattering away beneath, it wont be able to hear the signal from your transmitter, and will make a beeline for south east Asia.

I have not answered regarding any other manufacturers' aircraft because 1) I have no idea and b) this is a DJI forum anyway.

Technically it would be possible. Effectively there would need to be way of operating the two gopro buttons remotely, you would then be able to navigate the menus by fpv.

There aren't any spare channels on the phantom tx to do this on the , but changing transmitter, eg frysky, would provide another set of controls to do this. A bit complicated to set up òf course. Here is a discussion on rcgroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074112

Not as elegant, but a simple 5.8ghz 2 channel rx and tx could control the gopro.

So answering your question, yes, the gopro can be controlled from the ground. Can you buy the kit plug and play? I bet someone on here could build one, so a yes maybe.

ChristoHD said:

Basically the answer is no. What you would like to do would require the use of wifi which uses a frequency of 2.4Ghz which is the same freq as your RC unit.

The answer is no. Configure your camera on the ground before you take off.

Still a mixed bag of responses I see - and thanks BTW for responding. Too bad you can't get an equivalent to the Phantom 2 Vision+ v3 but instead with a GoPro, or other camera of choice within the same price point as the P2Vision+v3

With a GoPro, you don't have real time control, but you can set it to record video and have it take photos every 5 seconds or so. I have my eye on a new quad, supposedly coming this month, with a camera or 3D gimbal for a GoPro. Control is at 5.8Ghz, so 2.4Ghz, etc. could be used for video.

ChristoHD said:
Still a mixed bag of responses I see - and thanks BTW for responding. Too bad you can't get an equivalent to the Phantom 2 Vision+ v3 but instead with a GoPro, or other camera of choice within the same price point as the P2Vision+v3

It is not a mixed bag of responses IMHO :roll:

You did not say whether or not you wanted to stay with the stock kit and use a GoPro App, or, do it another way by designing a bespoke system with a dedicated channel and with a different RC. You didnt even limit the quadcopter manufacturer to DJI.

If you make your question specific you are more likely to get a consistent answer. If your question is vague, you will get a vague answer.

ChristoHD said:

If your original question was "can I buy a system to control a go pro" the answer is no unless you use the inbuilt WiFi.

If you mean "is it technically possible to control a remote go pro?" the answer is yes.

There is a rumour of a go pro drone being developed which will probably do this. I bet it will be expensive.

landmannnn said:
ChristoHD said:

If your original question was "can I buy a system to control a go pro" the answer is no unless you use the inbuilt WiFi.
And if the original question was "is it safe and advisable to use the inbuilt wifi on systems which also use 2.4Ghz to control the aircraft" ..... the answer is no.

Good points gents on being specific - so here goes...

I want what the Phantom 2 Vision+ v3 offers - but instead I want to use my GoPro camera instead of DJI's. So I want to control the picture taking, the settings, start-stop video, etc etc. through my iPhone or a similar device. You get a live view for framing your shots too. Does something exist for use on the DJI Phantom line of quadcopters? Whether it is a mod to the existing Phantom, or in additional hardware/software that must be added.

It would be "cool" if you could just unplug DJI's camera, and then attach a GoPro and plug it in instead....

Yes, it does exist. You can do all of that with the GoPro app on your phone or tablet.
Does it work? ha ha.. yes and no. It is not reliable, the realtime is not real at all, it stops working without notice, and you have to reboot the camera+ the app to have it working again. Also, as mentioned, the range is quite limited. further, the wifi and the controls are working on the the same frequency which is not recommended for both the camera and the phantom.
The answer is : Yes but don't use it.

sergekouper said:
further, the wifi and the controls are working on the the same frequency which is not recommended for both the camera and the phantom.
The answer is : Yes but don't use it.
P2V+ is on 5.8

I think he wants what the P2V+ does on a P2NV

• Framing shots, get a 5.8GHz FPV with OSD and you'll be very happy.
  • Controlling camera, no. The GoPro Wi-Fi is not suitable for this for many reasons. Furthermore, you'll find there's very little use for it unless you have very specific needs while in the air.

ianwood said:
  • Framing shots, get a 5.8GHz FPV with OSD and you'll be very happy.
  • Controlling camera, no. The GoPro Wi-Fi is not suitable for this for many reasons. Furthermore, you'll find there's very little use for it unless you have very specific needs while in the air.
+1
I have never had a problem

I appreciate the discussion on this thread. As a P2V+ owner I've wondered about the P2 with GoPro alternative and hadn't really seen the configuration options described before.
I'm thinking a P2 plus GoPro plus gimble plus P2V system must add up to more than the cost of a P2V+. Advantages, I think the general consensus is that GoPro video quality is better than the built in P2V+ camera. One disadvantage I see with the setup described in the previous post would be that you would have to decide before takeoff if this flight will be video or stills. No stopping in the middle of a video to snap a few stills and then returning to video.
Thank you posters for the information.

CYeutter said:
I appreciate the discussion on this thread. As a P2V+ owner I've wondered about the P2 with GoPro alternative and hadn't really seen the configuration options described before.
I'm thinking a P2 plus GoPro plus gimble plus P2V system must add up to more than the cost of a P2V+. Advantages, I think the general consensus is that GoPro video quality is better than the built in P2V+ camera. One disadvantage I see with the setup described in the previous post would be that you would have to decide before takeoff if this flight will be video or stills. No stopping in the middle of a video to snap a few stills and then returning to video.
The GoPro can do both at same time (vid & pics)

CYeutter said:

I think you make a fair point. But I find that the more I get into this, I fnd the more important it is to plan a flight and plan what type of shots you might be taking. The only problem I have is that for my particular GoPro, to use optimum settings I either shoot video or I shoot stills. This is not a problem however. I would plan to do two runs and reconfigure the camera in between, maybe when changing the battery. No big deal.

750r said:
CYeutter said:
The GoPro can do both at same time (vid & pics)

Plus one :) I use simultaneous stills and vids with the gopro. Its limited to 1080p30fps though.

I can speak about this because I have owned both systems - P2 Vision Plus and P2 Gopro 3+ BE/Avl58/Black Pearl/mini OSD.
I ended up merging - P2 Vision plus with H33d and Gopro3+BE using the DJI app as FPV (not the Drone Expert hotswap). It's a $10 15cm zenmuse cable conversion.
I also think its cheaper - the 3 axis vision plus camera can be sold to fund for the h33d and the gopro excluded as it be used for other purposes.
You can still enable the gopro wifi as it no longer affects 5.8ghz controls. The only problem is streaming via gopro app is limited to 75-100 realistic feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4