Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Onboard smoke generator device to mark landing location in fly away?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moonlight, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Moonlight

Hi guys,

Recently from jlo 's post I learnt getterback is a good way to locate your sunk quadcopter or else. That is a very smart idea and a fairly small load to add. I placed an order right away.

That triggered me to think:

1. If the getterback can put some dye into the package maybe it is even better to help locate the sunk quadcopter?

2. How about a smoke marker to help locate fly away quadcopter on land? People often complained can't get a visual lock of the estimated crash site (with help of DJI app it could give you an estimated coordinates). Of course there are complexities on how long, how soon, how big, how heavy etc etc. but does anyone know there is such a product on the market? Or someone care to build? It would be a great accessory everyone would love to have.

2. IflyinWY

Sounds like a good idea until you consider, "where there's smoke - there's fire".

We like our forests and grasslands here in Wyoming. :)

dirkclod likes this.
  3. Moonlight

Smoke doesn't have to be from fire :) and make it colourful not black helps too. LOL.

4. IflyinWY

Link please. :D

5. jadebox

There are non-pyrotechnic smoke generators, but they tend to be heavier and less effective than the pyro ones.

Anyway, adding extra weight and complexity to help in a situation that is highly unlikely to occur doesn't seem worthwhile. Adding a smoke generator would be more likely to cause problems (for example, if it is inadvertently set off) than to help you find a lost quadcopter.

6. Moonlight

Yeah, it has to be light weight and efficient... And not to cause a fire or even excessive heat, plus don't dye the copter itself LOL. are we certain that the technology is not there yet? What a pity... Seems not easy at least. Maybe a non-electronic sound generator/alarm that can be triggered by some method/logic?

I read about so many fly aways, so don't agree it is non-necessary though. Maybe not in your usual places but in unfamiliar areas and with unknown magnetic abnormalities... Matter of time.

#6 Moonlight, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  7. Bocephus-73

Interesting idea but I think it's probably too heavy and complicated for a P3 size machine. Maybe once we're all flying 30 lb. octacopters it might become more practical.

Right now, your best bet to locate a lost bird is Flytrex Live 3G but I wish they would add an audio alarm to it --- something like 90dB so you can hear it from 150 yards away. Flytrex Live is not going to help you much if your bird is nestled deep in high weeds or 80 ft. up in a tree.

8. Mako79

Easy.
    Just setup a solenoid on the battery terminal. Short them out and you'll get a LIPO smoke show.
    Be quick as a burnt/blackish phantom is harder to spot in the bushes.

9. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll just stick to me tracker and getterback :)

10. RichWest

Along with smoke, maybe we could add a bag full of flour to show the splat area...:D

Clipper707, jhamby and IflyinWY like this.
  11. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

:cool:

12. IflyinWY

Well, this is fun. I can't decide which one of you to quote, so I wont quote anyone... yet.

To the OP, and since your the new guy, that means "Original Poster" = the one who started the thread. It really is a good idea, IF, AND ONLY IF the smoke can be generated without fire. Please don't think I am "po poing" your idea. I just don't want to crash at the end of August and start a "Range Fire" that doesn't go out till it reaches Kansas.

I disagree Jadebox. Do you know anyone with a P2V+. They fall out of the sky an fly away regularly. The number of reports have dropped off drastically recently. Probably because folks have parked them and are now flying the P3. If I can put FPV with OSD on a Phantom for under 30 grams, I think someone can figure out how to make a device which will fart out pink smoke without weighing too much. :p

Ok, I can't use anything which relies upon a Cell Phone Signal to find my bird. And since this is my post, not my thread... just my post, it's all about me and my needs. Don't you's agree?
    So, no Flytrex, no Getterback, and for crying out loud... NOT Mako79's idea... :eek:.

If not smoke, how about a nice strong scent, like SKUNK, or Channel No 5? :D
    Me having fun now. Hope I've thrown some gas on the fire. :p

dirkclod likes this.
  13. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if ya ain't got no water for the getterback and no cell service ya better be careful with the gas or Kansas might get pissed ! :p
    Got to many skunks here for that to work and as far as Channel No 5 Hmmmmm :cool:

IflyinWY likes this.
  14. IflyinWY

No no no, Dirk you must have missed the part about this being "all about me". :rolleyes:

We don't have many skunks here, and **** it we don't have much of that Parfume stuff neither... either would work here. :D

dirkclod likes this.
  15. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh..Sorry
    running jack.gif

16. jason

17. IflyinWY

Hey, wassamatta fo you???
    You allergic to smoke or sumpin???

dirkclod likes this.
  18. jadebox

Yeah, sure. Happens all the time to me.

o_O

-- Roger

IflyinWY likes this.
  19. Moonlight

Thanks IflyinWY. Yeah, you got me thinking what OP is for a sec :)

With the scent, dogs might come to help. LOL. not a bad idea at all actually. Easier than smoke. Any other fellow has other creative ideas? I love the fun :)

IflyinWY and dirkclod like this.
  20. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

images4HKE7OJ0.jpg ..Love da fun do ya ? Check out OT then :D

IflyinWY likes this.