On Truck Out for Delivery

Reaction score
I really hate to ask this, as I know the last few days have been hectic for everyone with this new update...it's hard for me to keep track of what steps I should take when I unbox tonight after work. I have watched the youtube vids, read the manual...and I have done my best to follow this forum and the "other" forum to get tips, but since I have ZERO hands on...I would really appreciate like maybe a QUICK...1-2-3, that will get me out of the box, AND updated and ready to fly...properly.

My set up is: P3P (arriving today) and iPad Air (original), I downloaded DJI GO yesterday to my iPad. I use my Dell Laptop XPS 15, 16GB ram, 512 SSD, windows 8.1 64bit.

I am not in a rush to fly, but I want to get updated, the proper way, and I feel like you all have that info to share. Thank you thank you!!

PS - I ordered with a spare battery, from dronesmadeeasy, I have read that I should NOT charge the RC and battery simultaneously...I have no opinion on this...it is just what I saw on youtube.

Reactions: timz5011
Do not update the firmware. Pray the aircraft has an older firmware version like mine has so you'll actually have an aircraft that operates correctly w/o the stupid glitches that many people on this forum have experienced.

The controller will have more than enough charge for several flights anyway, so do a main battery first.
Controller takes much longer to charge.

Make sure all packaging and the clear guard is removed from round the gimbal before turning on.
Have the controller tuned on first.
It's advisable to do a full IMU calibration from the app settings.
For this it wants to be reasonably cool (i.e. straight after starting as a minimum)
You need a level surface and on no account disturb or move it until it has done.

First time starting outside it's even more important to do the compass calibration.
Again initiate from the app. You need to be clear of any metal objects for this or it can fail.

Your first flight location wants to be well out in the open.
Resist temptation to test it in a backyard first!

Use the left stick briefly on near full throttle to punch up to above head height.
The auto-take off doesn't go very high and IMO is not as safe as manual lift off.
Don't be messing about near trees or your roof until you've had several flights and are comfortable with the sticks *seeming* reversed when the phantom has turned and is some distance away.

You're safer reasonably high like 100 feet or more where there isn't anything to hit.

Reactions: timz5011 and Tricky
Do not update the firmware. Pray the aircraft has an older firmware version like mine has so you'll actually have an aircraft that operates correctly w/o the stupid glitches that many people on this forum have experienced.

Well, a lot of us updated and had no issues. Plus now you can downgrade if you so desire. You're opinion is that one should not upgrade, and that's fine. My opinion is that the newest firmware is pretty solid.

Well, a lot of us updated and had no issues. Plus now you can downgrade if you so desire. You're opinion is that one should not upgrade, and that's fine. My opinion is that the newest firmware is pretty solid.

Great...so, do you have the time to share what steps you took? Thank you!

Great...so, do you have the time to share what steps you took? Thank you!

Pretty simple really...

Downloaded the firmware update from DJI.com
Put the firmware in root directory of mini SD
Put the mini SD in Phantom
Turned on Phantom only
Watched green and red alternating light on camera gimbal for about 22 mins
Power cycled
Put in each battery and turned on phantom and let battery update (takes about 2 mins) middle two battery lights blink during update
Had to connect my controller usb to gimbal to get controller to update (because on one Phantom I was upgrading from 1.0.9) that upgrade took 5 mins
On my second phantom no controller upgrade was necessary.

Reactions: timz5011 and Tricky

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic