On Screen Display not 1st Person View

Reaction score
Please help educate me. I am confused, a little.
On screen display involves a camera,, a video transmitter and a video receiver and a display screen.
First person view involves a camera, usually a gimbal, videos Tx and RX and goggles/glasses like Fat Shark.
Is there something else? I have a P1 and have installed the PMU upgrade. I want to do the OSD. What is the iOSD box from DJi and what does it provide?
I have looked at equipment and sometimes the "kits" seem to be the answer. Just plug and play. But the Boscam Rx and Tx are so darn cheap. And the Black Pearl display is a decent price. And a used Hero2 or Hero3 is doable.
I am looking for reliability. Not so much professional video quality. Just something else to exercise the Phantom.
Any advice and locations and prices would be helpful. I have been all over you tube and looked at many of the FPV sites but need to know the differences. Right now it is goggles or screen.
Thanks

"FPV" just refers to any setup where you can see a live video feed broadcast from the aircraft to the ground, either on goggles or a screen. Minimum requirements are a camera, a transmitter, a receiver, and a display of either type.

"OSD" refers to a device you can add (like DJI's iOSD Mini) that puts extra data on that video feed for you, such as altitude, battery level, etc.

Skip to 5:50 in this vid and you can see what info the iOSD mini provides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztIht-yh1M

There's other OSD's available that you can use, but the iOSD mini is probably the easiest option. It pulls all the data directly from the NAZA and inserts it in the video feed going from your camera (gopro or dedicated FPV camera) to the transmitter of your choice. It'll work with any camera/tx combination you choose, just a matter of splicing the wires from those to the connector that comes with the iOSD.

You can think of OSD as HUD (Heads Up Display).. it's provided by a small device that sits between your camera and your video transmitter and 'injects' the data\text as an overlay on top of the video. Some of them comes with their own gyro\altimeter\etc, but if you're on Phantom, then it's best to use an iOSD mini and take the data directly from NAZA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4