on-off GPS

Reaction score
It seems many weeks ago my phantom was doing fine and having fun taking many pictures. Then out of thin air my GPS would come and go. I'm suspect that after I did a prom update when things went weird. I have since crashed twice because of a feared fly away. Pilot error.
Does DJI offer a diagnostic software or if not. it should be standard option. I believe I should be able to run a system check if we detect something suspicion. All of us phantom owner are doing are own repairs. Now we having to register with FAA, mine is.
So, my GPS issue. I also check the GPS antenna, no cracks.
Any comments of these items?

Its not clear if you are dropping sats or if you are losing all sats. Where are you seeing the loss in sats?? On your device or the LED blinks on your Phantom???

A few things you may want to look into...

Loose GPS connection. Make sure there is no movement with the 4 pin connector. I used an old analogue cd rom cable and switched out the connector with a clip to reassure connection. Some others just wedge something flat down the sides and it will also hold.
CD%20ROM%20cable%20for%20GPS%20plug.jpg

You could have EMI interference. Is the GPS counts dropping 1-4 sats or is it going down to zero? If its dropping a few sats when you hit record then it could mean you are getting EMI. You need to do a GPS foil mod to block the EMI from the camera.

Could be an invisible crack in the GPS ceramic puck. A small crack will result in sat drops. Upgrade to a thicker 4mm ceramic puck to get more sats and faster lock times.

Could be a telemetry issue/loose cable giving you false sat counts. If you have had a nasty bump, one of the connection on could have been frayed or damaged. Look at the 3 grey sets of cable from the Phantom to the gimbal board. The 4 pin connector usually gets damaged and causes telemetry loss and broken connection warnings. Unplug, inspect and reseat firmly.

You could have EMI interference. Is the GPS counts dropping 1-4 sats or is it going down to zero? It going to zero and loose stabilization. My read out via voice tell me I have zero sats and in a couple of seconds or more but, reestablish it back and have sats. lights indication no sats . Real unnerving.

I bought new cam antenna that is on leg. But thinking of changing out to GoPro, these DJI cameras are stacking up and need to resolve GPS issue first. One thing, before I had this issue I did a update for current airport distances. first flight went without issues and second lift off where it starting to do this.

I did get new GPS antennas I'll do another inspection again. First crash may have also damaged compass antenna by that landing gear did take the brunt of impact. camera was the casualty. Let me preform your suggestion and come back to you for update. thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie