On flyaways - let's understand more

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have been reading a lot on the Phantom those days, and came to learn or think that landing in water is the worst case scenario. Well, this actually did happen to me and, even if I can't still tell, PHANTOM might be OK.

But then comes the real worst-case scenario - a flyaway. No, I didn't have one, but am scared, as everyone seems to be so.

From what I read, I am getting the idea that flyaways are an error in one or more sensors that make the NAZA think the phantom SHOULD do something it shouldn't. And then, manual mode only would stop the NAZA's brain from taking the phantom away.

True or not? What's your stand? How many have experienced this "fly-on-its-own" behavior? How did you save it?

If it is a "true flyaway", then it likely wouldn't respond to your attempt at putting it in manual mode.
Not everybody sets their Phantom up to even have manual mode.

Nobody really knows for sure. They just have opinions.

Like many others, in the back of my mind I bid my Phantom farewell every time I take off. My original one was afflicted with a tendency to flyaway, so far the current one is flawless, but I know that can change in an instant. It's a risk any time you put something in the air.

But everyone is talking about "all the flyaways". I am getting scared to trust my phantom. What's the truth?

The truth is, there are flyaways. But in a true flyaway situation, you cannot regain control. The best you can hope
to do, is put a gps tracker on it, and locate it afterwards.

It wouldn't hurt to go down to your local pet store, and have some I.D tags made with your number, etc on it.
"It doesn't have to be shaped like a dog bone" ;) Maybe put "reward offered" as well.

I think of flyaways, like spontaneous combustion......sometimes people just burst into flames....for no apparent reason. :?

I pretty much eliminated any chance of a fly a way. I purchased a "tagg" doggy GPS and velcro'ed it to my drone. Now that I spent $100, I bet I never get to test it in action....and that's ok with me.

I'm flying phantom, reading all threads and posts and doing upgrades and mods, since it was released. Sure I can say that since DJIs released the TX signal protection, no more flyaways in reports, excepts from those who never uograded at least Firmware version 3.1.2. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl