Old Auchans

Reaction score
Very cool, insanely cool. The only thing I would have changed is use a different (digital) filter for black and white. There are many ways (parameters) to transform to black and white and I think that you'd gain from experimenting what analog color filter equivalent you'd use to transform to B&W.

Questions. Where is the castle? Did you use some form of FPV, the flying is flawless, you're getting very close to walls without ever hitting them.

Gnapoleon said:
Very cool, insanely cool. The only thing I would have changed is use a different (digital) filter for black and white. There are many ways (parameters) to transform to black and white and I think that you'd gain from experimenting what analog color filter equivalent you'd use to transform to B&W.

Questions. Where is the castle? Did you use some form of FPV, the flying is flawless, you're getting very close to walls without ever hitting them.

Scotland, I think.

Very nice!

E

Gnapoleon said:

Thanks for the tip re gray scale, will look into it. I just applied a gray scale and then a brightness, each cut got a little bit brighter until I did the colour transition.

FPV, I've got it, but got to the site only to find that I'd left my goggles battery at home, so the flying was all done by eye. I planned a path, picked a viewpoint to allow me to see potential collisions, and went for it. For each potential collision I had a bailout path, so if I was going to collide I knew what I'd do. Most paths were quite linear, so were actually quite easy.

edunwody said:
Gnapoleon said:

Scotland, I think.

Very nice!

E

Thanks, and yes the castle is in Ayrshire, Scotland - apparently theres >25 castles in Ayrshire so I've plenty to go at. I've already shot another, just need to find some editing time, but I've been filming more than editing so as to take advantage of dry weather, as we head into Autumn here it'll rain a lot more, so less flying.

u4na said:
Gnapoleon said:

Thanks for the tip re gray scale, will look into it. I just applied a gray scale and then a brightness, each cut got a little bit brighter until I did the colour transition.

FPV, I've got it, but got to the site only to find that I'd left my goggles battery at home, so the flying was all done by eye. I planned a path, picked a viewpoint to allow me to see potential collisions, and went for it. For each potential collision I had a bailout path, so if I was going to collide I knew what I'd do. Most paths were quite linear, so were actually quite easy.

Well, color me impressed. That's awesome flying (and it would be even with FPV). I have yet to venture much past the wide open space of a park. I did go over water a couple of times in my first real flight. Very cool man, great work.

Another suggestion. After spending years doing technical diving (deep, dark, cold, dangerous), I have learnt to maintain a few checklists like they do with actual airplane flying. It's important if you're using life support equipment (in my case a rebreather) or just making sure you're not forgetting your fins. As I am not going beyond the Phantom unit only (adding GoPro, Gimbal, FPV, ...), I am building a few checklists that include things like __charged___ accessory battery (and a procedure to verify), sunglasses, memory card, etc. If I am going to drive a few miles to a location, I want to make sure I have all the equipment I need and that it's ready to fly.

Gnapoleon said:
Another suggestion. After spending years doing technical diving (deep, dark, cold, dangerous), I have learnt to maintain a few checklists like they do with actual airplane flying. It's important if you're using life support equipment (in my case a rebreather) or just making sure you're not forgetting your fins. As I am not going beyond the Phantom unit only (adding GoPro, Gimbal, FPV, ...), I am building a few checklists that include things like __charged___ accessory battery (and a procedure to verify), sunglasses, memory card, etc. If I am going to drive a few miles to a location, I want to make sure I have all the equipment I need and that it's ready to fly.

You sound more organised than me (with good reason). I have an idea along these lines, I just need to get around to it.
But thanks again for the suggestion

Very nice! I also like the soundtrack, which definitely adds atmosphere.

Your video is generally smooth but I see a slight left-right twitch in many shots. My videos have the same thing -- I'm using a Tarot and GP Black3. Do you have any idea what causes it? I was told that it was a Phantom problem by another person and that adjusting the yaw gains would help. I've tried changing them, both up and down, but no change.

GearLoose said:
Your video is generally smooth but I see a slight left-right twitch in many shots. My videos have the same thing -- I'm using a Tarot and GP Black3. Do you have any idea what causes it? I was told that it was a Phantom problem by another person and that adjusting the yaw gains would help. I've tried changing them, both up and down, but no change.

You and me both (seeing the l/r) movement. I think it's simply movement on the third axis, it's only a 2 axis gimbal. There was a swirling wind and that was causing a slight yaw of my phantom,all the gubbins hanging down at the front catches the wind. I think the gains would simply slow down response to harder inputs, smoothing any turning, and not remove the twitch you see. I can remove it completely with youtube's stabilisation, but that introduces other artifacts when the phantom flys past the edge of something (it bends the image) , and I've no local software stabilisation. So removing it would for me involve uploading clips, getting yt to smooth them, downloading them and then cutting in the smoothed clips to the rest - doable but a bit of a faff. But now I know others see it......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic