Okie fliers

West of Lawton here. P3P and loving it. A friend is setting up a site for Oklahoma Drone Pilots, although he's making only slow progress. Hey, he's old too! It should show up on a Google search, I don't think I should post a link to another forum here.

Out of Edmond, OK here - I just got an Inspire this week, and have been playing with it and having a blast. Would love to meet up with experienced users and learn from their experience.

New member here. Good to see so many other pilots around town! I'm in S. OKC but fly all over the metro, especially downtown. Have any of you had any issues with people not wanting you to fly in certain areas? (Anywhere near an airport is a given.) There's a growing disdain for quads/drones since so many people are being reckless or irresponsible with them...

New member here. Good to see so many other pilots around town! I'm in S. OKC but fly all over the metro, especially downtown. Have any of you had any issues with people not wanting you to fly in certain areas? (Anywhere near an airport is a given.) There's a growing disdain for quads/drones since so many people are being reckless or irresponsible with them...

Please DO NOT fly in the metro area. You will be within the 5 mile ring of both OKC as well as Tinker AFB and in violation of the FAA regulations. They have control from SFC to around 5000'. One great place is Draper Lake as you can get a permit from the city and even join the RC field there being 100% legal to fly up to 400'. Even better you are not flying over a populated area which again is against FAA regulations.

Please DO NOT fly in the metro area. You will be within the 5 mile ring of both OKC as well as Tinker AFB and in violation of the FAA regulations. They have control from SFC to around 5000'. One great place is Draper Lake as you can get a permit from the city and even join the RC field there being 100% legal to fly up to 400'. Even better you are not flying over a populated area which again is against FAA regulations.

To clarify - I don't fly over people, nor do I break height regs. If a plane is flying under 400ft around downtown I think there are bigger issues at hand. Thanks for the tip on Draper, I'll look into that. Though isn't Draper literally in line with the Tinker flight path and well within 5 miles of the AFB?

I'll look at draper too, but you are incorrect about the city being within 5 miles. Most if not all of Downtown OKC is outside of the 5 mile range from Tinker and Will Rogers AP. There is no restriction on flying within the downtown area, especially on the weekend, when the population is almost nil. I agree that we need to be responsible, but part of the enjoyment in the hobby is getting shots you couldn't normally from the ground.

Reactions: Red_Phoenix
Also, the "recommendation" is that "if" you fly within a 5-mile radius of an airport, that you contact the tower and inform them that you'll be flying in the area. It doesn't say that you "can't" fly in those areas.

Reactions: Red_Phoenix
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

To clarify - I don't fly over people, nor do I break height regs. If a plane is flying under 400ft around downtown I think there are bigger issues at hand. Thanks for the tip on Draper, I'll look into that. Though isn't Draper literally in line with the Tinker flight path and well within 5 miles of the AFB?

Yes, 4 miles right off of runway 26 which makes it completely insane. But they have an agreement with them to fly no higher than 400' while the aircraft will be no lower than 1500' keeping separation. Also you have to get a flight permit from OKC further saving you. Would not fly to the north at all, but staying around their field should be safe and secure.

So you need an AMA card, Permit to fly, and an area designated for this hobby in a very scenic area. Don't think you can find a better setting to fly in OKC.......

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thought you guys might appreciate a short clip from some footage I shot Sunday night.

Reactions: rockhoundrob
NW OKC here. Been a flier (Phantom2) for about 7 months now. On a flying break now while I work on a slider for my gopro. When it cools off I will fly again.
Wouldn't mind going to a get together to pick up new or share ideas (Oklahoma, Cleveland and Canadian Counties).

My family's still in OKC so I visit often. I drive so I'll be bringing all my camera gear (including my P3P) next time I come down. Maybe I'll hit you guys up because there doesn't seem to be much activity in San Diego (land of NIMBYs).

Just got into drones/quadcopters. I teach CAD at Oklahoma City Community College, live in SE Norman. Looking for different places around Norman to fly.

Max Westheimer Airport is on Robinson. FAA rules are you cant fly within 5 miles of any airport. IF anything I would suggest a park along Highway 9 or an open place around Lake Thunderbird.

Actually you can. I fly within 4nm of Tinker AFB at Baxter Field. 100% legal and have good relations with TAFB to fly 400' or below at the location. Below is a great video of an AWACS I took above the field on final.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: snerd
Cool video, was that an "AWAC"?... guess I prefer to stay as far away from trouble so there are no misunderstandings...

Yes, but their final is away from the field and we have an agreement with them to fly there so perfectly safe. This was one of those I just happen to be up there and what the heck lets video moments.....

Max Westheimer Airport is on Robinson. FAA rules are you cant fly within 5 miles of any airport. IF anything I would suggest a park along Highway 9 or an open place around Lake Thunderbird.
The "recommendation" is to notify the tower if you plan to fly within 5 miles of an airport, not that you can't do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.