Okie fliers

Insight Aerials said:
Anyone from Oklahoma in here?

OKC here.

New to the forum, new to quads ... so new that I don't even have one yet :)

Whereabouts do you fly? Mind an audience sometime?

What's Up!

Just recently got my rig and am still acquiring upgrades for FPV, Ground Station etc.

Unfortunately weather hasn't been super permitting lately. Hopefully going out today!

Nice to meet you!

stphntylr said:
What's Up!

Just recently got my rig and am still acquiring upgrades for FPV, Ground Station etc.

Unfortunately weather hasn't been super permitting lately. Hopefully going out today!

Nice to meet you!

Hey there!

I've had my Vision for about a month, but as you know our weather hasn't been the greatest, so I've only been able to fly about half a dozen times.

I've been out to Baxter RC Field at Draper Lake (that water sure is nasty brown :(

Lately I've been going to the public areas around Lake Hefner. In the mornings there aren't too many people around, but I suspect that will change once the weather gets nicer.

Where have you been flying? I saw some aerials of downtown on your website ... nice ... I guess I'm too chicken to fly around places like that just yet :)

Anyway - my Vision is almost a virgin - no real mods except for the 7th Channel control.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have done / are doing to your quad. Want to try to meet up sometime?

Sorry for my lack of response been super busy this last couple weeks.

I have thought about Hefner, but honestly the water scares me more then anything else right now.

My downtown shot came from a rather open field I found just north of union station. Trust me I was scared to fly there.

I am getting more and more courageous especially now that I have FPV up and running.

Mostly I just fly anywhere I can't get to when the weather clears up.

What is this 7th channel you speak of?

As far as meeting up I would be interested, my schedule is all over the place all the time. I am hoping to start making a more regular flight somewhere when the weather starts playing nice. Part of my interest in this thread was to see how many people around here are flying these things and see if Something like a user groups was a realistic endeavor. Not necessarily just for phantoms but any multirotor or unmanned system.

Full disclosure I am looking at this as an entrepreneurial endeavor. I want to be ready to go when we finally get clearance to operate commercially. So I a also interested in finding other interested parties who are capable.

I'll try and post back here when I am going to go fly somewhere and maybe the universe will seem it to align our availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM.

Hello to fellow Okies! I don't know ANYONE who flies Phantoms, or any RC planes or helicopters for that matter. I live in Edmond, and retired a couple of years ago and was actually going to take actual helicopter lessons in Denton Texas. But it's very very expensive, and Oklahoma City just doesn't have that many places to build up your hours to get to different levels, so I bought an inexpensive RC Helicopter, and couldn't fly that thing for the life of me. Then I noticed these things called quad copters, and bought an inexpensive one, and I got hooked! Like everyone else, the thought of also being able to take pictures and videos was too much to bare, and that's when I found out about the Phantoms. All of this has been pretty recent, and I haven't purchased a Phantom as of yet. The problem I'm having now, or should I say problems, has been trying to understand all of the terminology, AND trying to find a place to buy one with all of the extra gadgets I want. I know nothing about electronics, and trying to understand all of this is driving me crazy! A lot of the active members on this site are from England and other out of country areas, and it's difficult trying to get answers to questions on these different time zones we are in. Don't get me wrong, the guys I've been conversing with have all been great, but they are all on a different level of knowledge than me. What I need, is to have someone local, that I can meet with, or talk on the phone with, to ask all of the stupid questions I have about which phantom I want to buy, and what extras I need. Most places in the USA seem to just sell the quad copter itself, and I'm looking for a place to buy in a package type deal.
I would really appreciate if my fellow Okies, could help me out by answering some questions, AND I would really appreciate being able to see you fly it. Have you guys started meeting on a regular basis yet? If you would like to meet up at, say a Starbucks, I'll buy! And if you are going to be flying soon, and wouldn't mind if I watched, I'd be more than happy to supply some subway sandwiches and drinks for lunch break. Like I said, I'm retired, so I can meet up, or talk anytime. My cell number in Edmond is 405-593-6166, so please call anytime. I really look forward to talking with you guys, and really looking forward to finely figuring out the Phantom I want. I do know I want the Phantom 2 (non Vision), but not much more than that. Thanks again, Stan

Just started with the Vision in Tulsa.

My background is in RC. Back in the 70s and early 80s, my dad got me turned on to RC flying, even if I was just a youngster. I have TONS of his old RC magazines and blueprints (he mainly built his up from scratch). I still have an old Sr. Falcon however that we built together. I haven't flown it in ages but may find the time to do so now.

I've made about six flights sofar and have been amazed at how easy and stable this thing is to fly. Coming from RC to this was a bit of a learning curve, and it might tend to make one complacent. Which is why I may get back into flying the RC planes to keep me on my toes. Flying the Phantom is almost too easy.

I've found that I like flying nearly more than taking the videos and photos. I'm looking in to purchasing a gimbal system for the Vision as well; have been looking at all the options and will make a decision in the coming days.

Here's one of my first flights.

[vimeo]97856561[/vimeo]

Mark

Greetings to all...

I'm moving to OKC late this summer, and am bringing my two Phantoms, one Blade, and one soon-to-be built Armattan FPV quad with me. Looking for fellow quad enthusiasts to meet and fly with.

On a side note, my wife and I used to live and work in OKC...I cannot remember seeing such windy days as I've experienced these last few days! Hot yes, windy, no!

Cheers

Radioguy

Hope to see you when you get here Radioguy.

I've just been bitten by the bug so have some smaller things showing up soon to learn on. Wanting to jump into the FPV and video realm as soon as I get comfortable but glad to see there are others around as I'd love to see what's available/necessary/recommended before I make my big purchase. Really love the Blackout Hex a guy was building elsewhere.

Hey Mark just purchased my Vision Plus.. Would like to know if you would be interested in helping me out..Im here in Tulsa,
Dennis

Hello Okies. Just got my Phantom 2. Was wanting to meet some other people to fly with to maybe learn a thing or two. I live near TenKiller lake, and have a bunch of open areas to fly in, and some great scenery around hear. Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

RipperFox. = Rob.

Just added a HK "Quantum Venture" FPV quad using Naza-Lite in addition to my F550 and P2. It would be great to get together with some other quad heads in the greater OKC area. Chime in and let's set up a meet and greet.

radioguy said:
Just added a HK "Quantum Venture" FPV quad using Naza-Lite in addition to my F550 and P2. It would be great to get together with some other quad heads in the greater OKC area. Chime in and let's set up a meet and greet.

I have 10 acres south of Hwy 9/Lake Thunderbird if you'd like to fly out here. I'd be happy to host a small fly-in/meet greet.

Attachments

• DJI00030.jpg
    DJI00030.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 485
RJ Evans said:
radioguy said:

I have 10 acres south of Hwy 9/Lake Thunderbird if you'd like to fly out here. I'd be happy to host a small fly-in/meet greet.

That sounds (and looks) very cool. How do we go about setting something up?

Fred in OKC

radioguy said:
RJ Evans said:
radioguy said:

That sounds (and looks) very cool. How do we go about setting something up?

Fred in OKC

Hi Fred. :)

Just send me an email to [email protected]. We can go from there. Maybe a phone call as well somewhere in there? I'm certain we can come up with a date and time. Weather permitting of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20