Okay, I am confused

mjw

Reaction score
Reading the new rules we can start registering on 12/21 - what the FAA will return once registered is a number but not an "N" number - you can put the number anywhere on the UAV even in the battery compartment - now say I am flying around in an airplane and up pops a UAV - the 'number' is inside the battery compartment - what do I as the pilot report?

what do I as the pilot report?
Nothing since the aircraft is not registered. This process is not being put in place to report drones that are in flight.

Reading the new rules we can start registering on 12/21 - what the FAA will return once registered is a number but not an "N" number - you can put the number anywhere on the UAV even in the battery compartment - now say I am flying around in an airplane and up pops a UAV - the 'number' is inside the battery compartment - what do I as the pilot report?

You are obviously not going to be able to see the "N" number even if it were on the outside - this is a first step toward getting people to realized that using common airspace is not to be taken lightly... and also most likely will be used to track down anyone who crashes their UAV into someplace they ought not to be...

Also, if yo are in an airplane the likelihood you would even see a phantom sized "drone" is unlikely, even if you knew it was there and were looking for it: Blogs

When my rig gets over 500 feet way all I have to do is blink and I lose it...

You are obviously not going to be able to see the "N" number even if it were on the outside - this is a first step toward getting people to realized that using common airspace is not to be taken lightly... and also most likely will be used to track down anyone who crashes their UAV into someplace they ought not to be...

Also, if yo are in an airplane the likelihood you would even see a phantom sized "drone" is unlikely, even if you knew it was there and were looking for it: Blogs

When my rig gets over 500 feet way all I have to do is blink and I lose it...
I agree, I was taking a wide shot of our church property as a favor to our pastor, at 300' (appx) a P3 is hard to see (at least for my old eyes anyway - now as I read the rules the actual "N" number has to be on the outside of the UAV - visible - the number assigned by FAA for normal registration starting 12/21 does not

the number assigned by FAA for normal registration starting 12/21 does not
That's because the purpose is to be easily accessible under close inspection.

I agree, I was taking a wide shot of our church property as a favor to our pastor, at 300' (appx) a P3 is hard to see (at least for my old eyes anyway - now as I read the rules the actual "N" number has to be on the outside of the UAV - visible - the number assigned by FAA for normal registration starting 12/21 does not

Here is my P2 with my N Number. Sticker can't be much bigger to have it fit...
IMG_0002.JPG

Are you concerned at all that with the N number on the outside anyone for any reason will soon be able to do a database search for your personal info - namely home address?

You can do that right now... it's been discussed here NUMEROUS times...

I'll even help you out...

FAA Registry N Number Inquiry

And what stops anyone from going to their local airport, writing down any N Number that they see, and doing a search?? I believe it's the same database...

Reactions: Buckaye
And what stops anyone from going to their local airport, writing down any N Number that they see, and doing a search?? I believe it's the same database..

NO I may be wrong but thats more for commercial use drones and a lot of air planes the registration don't necessarily always go to a home address on the public searchable date base. Some times planes are resisted under a co name.

Tho people do and have done that an looked up peoples info esp if some ones got a small private plane and they take off from and air port its a good reasonable guess if they own a private plane they have money and if they are on the plane its also a very safe bet they are not at home.

and people have also done it with boat registration numbers to. It might not be all that wide spread but cooks do know how to exploit things and there is no reason any one should WANT to make it easy for some one and should atleast make a crook or some one atleast have to do some leg work if you want some one to exploit you or rob you.

Nothing is stopping a registered sUAS owner from editing their profile once registered. Change your address, name, etc. There's a big blue EDIT button on the bottom of the profile page. IMHO, as long as you have the original certificate pdf on you, then changing your profile on the FAA website wouldn't matter if you were stopped by law enforcement as they'll only want to see that you have the registration sticker, and quite possibly match it with your certificate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj