Ok so it happened....

I was flying my P3A using goggles and was enjoying it. Kept on following roads by flying directly over them at 250' height. Had adjusted gimbal to 45* down. It was such a great fun. Few minutes later I realized I don't hear any more sound of my p3. Looked above in the sky with bare eyes but could not locate my P3. Was nervous for few seconds but quickly recovered as I was getting live feed on my iPad mini. I looked at the radar and turned bird to face home point and moved right stick forward. I was able to get back my P3 flying over me after few minutes. RTH was another solution but I didn't want to do that as I had 65% battery charge left. Ample time to play with P3 and controls.

Lesson to me was dont panic and exercise controls with patience. P3 won't go anywhere if you leave all sticks unattended.

Secondly, I sat down and figured out how to find out location of my p3 on goggles using those diamond displacements. I moved my P3 forward, backward, left, right and turned to figure out how diamond works. I won't make that mistake again but I know my rescue and backup is always radar on iPad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CCDD
I've had a few run ins with birds of prey over the past two years. Best advice I have received? Gain altitude. They cannot keep up with Phantom in climb, and they will lose sight of you quickly (used to looking down). Then get some horizontal separation and land.

This! The same technique we use when flying real airplanes use with the phantom. Can't say it works every time, but it's the best contingency procedure to use.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've had a few run ins with birds of prey over the past two years. Best advice I have received? Gain altitude. They cannot keep up with Phantom in climb, and they will lose sight of you quickly (used to looking down). Then get some horizontal separation and land.
Well...... the fast vertical ascent escape tactic use to work. However,1.6 firmware took 35% of my vertical climb speed away, so now I'm not so sure I can get away with the fast vertical ascent :(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj