Ok so it happened....

Reaction score
Only on flight number 8 with the P3P and I finally had my oh **** moment. I live in fairly populated area as New Mexico Goes... and have been flying in open areas close to the house to get the feeling of the Phantom. After 6 flights I decided I would drive a few miles out of town to the In-Laws and fly out there where I could get it out a little and cut it loose without fear of flying over someone's home or head. Responsible flying... Safety first!!!

So i get out there and go through the pre-flight checks, fire up the remote after connecting my itty bitty work iPhone 5s, fire up the bird, let it go through all the checks. Calibrate the compass after patting myself down to ensure that I don't have metal objects etc... Realize that I have my ACL brace on... (I'm an avid off-road motorcycle rider) had a bad accident... I digress.. So I strip down and take the brace off. Walk about 100 ft into the desert and calibrate the compass... YAY Success!!! Walk back to the paved area next to the house and luanch the Phantom..

This thing is an absolute dream to fly. Just an amazing aircraft. Back to the story. So I'm flying on the first battery I am watching the voltage and plan to land with the battery at 50%. I fly land without a single problem do some overflights of the house and land.. Fire up battery number two take out the bird and fly a little higher, somewhere near 50-60 Meters, I also intended to fly a little more aggressively... This is where it happens...

I am straining to see the telemetry on the Go app (5s way too small) and also keep an eye on the aircraft.... I am alternating between the aircraft and the screen because I wanted to snap some photos.. The Phantom is hovering, as I am trying to frame the shot. I look up and what do I see.. A HUGE HAWK!.. OH ****!. It is not attacking the Phantom but definately circling to get a look at what bird dared to be in it's airspace. So I start moving the Phantom forward and start descending ... I get the Phantom down without any pursuits by the real bird. I actually got it down really without incident but... When I looked up the first time and saw a bird larger than the phantom circling it scared the buhjeebus out of me.

I need that Air 2 to get here ASAP.. Absent the bird incident it was an awesome day..

Its very impressive how well some birds protect their territory. We need to always be on the lookout and show the same respect that you showed in your story.

I have family in NM and have been thinking about taking my Phantom there to fly in the Rio Rancho area. Is that anywhere near you? I'm sure there are great opportunities for photos and videos.

Last edited:
...so nothing happened?
That's correct sir. Nothing at all happened. Was just a great hour or so of flying with a hiccup...

Reactions: FotoGeek
Did you get any pictures of the bird ?? Golden opportunity, dont tell me you didn't !!!!

Did you get any pictures of the bird ?? Golden opportunity, dont tell me you didn't !!!!
No sir. I did not get a single picture of the bird.

After reviewing the pictures of hawks like I reviewed the photos of aircraft in basic training. I have concluded that it was a red-tailed hawk.

Again... Sigh.. No I did not get a picture of the bird.

I BASICALLY GOT PUNKED!

Attachments

• JuvRTH-DBrown-web.jpg
    JuvRTH-DBrown-web.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 429
No sir. I did not get a single picture of the bird.
The old saying goes, "No pics, it didn't happen"... So I guess a pic of the brown stained shorts will have to do, yuk yuk :confused:

It was definitely an ohhh-**** moment.

Reactions: Reed L
Yes there's a hawk where I fly. I don't see it every time I'm out there maybe every other time. It was there today and flew around then landed on a tree branch at the top of a tree about 75ft high. It sat there watching me fly the P3. I kept the P3 close and low.

I'm sure it is less stressful after you have flown a bit. I don't have 10 flights in yet.. More than an ohhh **** moment it was ... Uncomfortable because it hadn't happened before. No worries.. I just don't want to be that guy who watches his aircraft get taken by a hawk on YouTube..

Nobody wants to be "that guy."

I'm sure it is less stressful after you have flown a bit. I don't have 10 flights in yet.. More than an ohhh **** moment it was ... Uncomfortable because it hadn't happened before. No worries.. I just don't want to be that guy who watches his aircraft get taken by a hawk on YouTube..

Nobody wants to be "that guy."

Enjoyed your story! It definitely gets less stressful but don't ever let your increasing confidence overtake you, it could be your worst enemy!

+1 for flying safe as well, I always like to read about safe pilots.

I've had a few run ins with birds of prey over the past two years. Best advice I have received? Gain altitude. They cannot keep up with Phantom in climb, and they will lose sight of you quickly (used to looking down). Then get some horizontal separation and land.

Reactions: Mako79
Interesting. Will try that next time.

I've had a few run ins with birds of prey over the past two years. Best advice I have received? Gain altitude. They cannot keep up with Phantom in climb, and they will lose sight of you quickly (used to looking down). Then get some horizontal separation and land.

+1
Phantom descent speed is restricted and going down exposes the props to downward attacks by the bird. Your best bet I up and away until the threat has backed off. Land and fly somewhere else.

Wow, that could have been disastrous.. for the Phantom and the bird.. I live up in the hills, with all sorts of birds when I fly my smaller quads in the backyard hummingbirds and dragonfly's attack them.. hummingbirds are pretty vicious in particular.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj