OK - next question! Does this combo work?

Reaction score
Hi all

Following on from my previous query (P4P or I1?) I have settled on the P4P and would like your opinion on whether the following combo works, and especially if it doesn't because of some software incompatibility I'm unaware of:

P4P teamed with an iPad Mini 4.

Now I'm aware that there is a bit of an Apple / Android 'debate' and I'd rather steer clear of that. I've chosen the M4 because I believe most of DJIs apps are 'optimised' for Apple devices; it contains all the required tech specs and it would be a convenient size for me to lug around.

So my query is that at some time in the future I will probably start to use other apps than DJI ones - DroneDeploy, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, etc are some of the ones that come to mind as popular ones that appear to be used fairly frequently by the more experienced pilots. Am I unintentionally limiting myself in terms of what I could use with my choice of tablet? Also, would I need a sunshade to use the M4 as DJI state their Pro+ display is bright enough to not need one - thereby implying that other devices require them?!

Finally as it is quite a step up from a M4 screen of 7.9" to the 12" or so of an iPad Air (in price and to cart around) is this screen size 'large enough' to be useful or does the smaller screen make life difficult when flying the P4P or trying to obtain images?

As ever, thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'll wade in here hopefully to get this going. I like you am going Apple over Android. Have a LG phone and tablet. Phone was too small and the tablet, an 8 inch, besides crashing on takeoff was still a little hard for me to see.. So I went with the Air 2. I liked the larger screen and it is brighter than either of the LG's, but still not as bright as I would like. The Air 2 just fits in the holder on the RC. I use a sunshade, but for me, it is only a marginal improvement. I bought what was advertised on Amazon as a anti-glare tempered glass screen protector. Don't remember which I bought, but it did not help. 2 items I would suggest you consider. 1st a 12" cable, bought package of 2 for about $9.00. Saves you from snagging the excess cable on anything. 2nd a lanyard. With a larger screen and sunshade it really helps. I went a step up and got the shoulder strap instead of a lanyard.

I have no experience with other than the DJI app so I will not attempt the comment on their compatibility with Apple products.

Best of luck and Happy Flying
Mitch

iPad Air 2 and I use Litchi and Airnest. I do not have all the problems updating firmware that you see talked about here. Everything works great.

I am an android guy throughout the rest of my life, but I fly with an iPad Mini. Some day I might go bigger. You will not be disappointed in any of the current iPad models. I run DroneDeploy, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, and DronePan without a hiccup.

You will need a sun shade. I have tried a few including DJIs. None were deep enough to block the sun well enough for me. So I made my own. FunN4Lo's blog - RC Groups

I have my eye on a Hoodman also Amazon.com : Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit (Includes HAV1 & HAV1E) : Camera & Photo

Hi all

Thank you for your replies - looks like the combo will be fine then (phew!)

Excuse my ignorance here but with the 'third party apps' such as Litchi and DroneDeploy is all the flight planning done on the tablet (connected to WiFi I assume to allow for mapping to load) prior to going on site to fly? Or is it done on a laptop / similar and then downloaded onto the tablet? I ask in order to find out whether I need a dedicated computer too!

Thanks

Bob

I am an Android/PC guy for sure, but I ended up using an ipad mini for the drones for one reason. I can easily switch between apps where on the android I was always having issues switching apps and did not want to mess with the default app work around. I had to end up removing the usb cable and plugging it back in to the RC many times. pain in the ***.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik