OK NEED ADVICE anybody using the NVIDIA - SHIELD K1 - 8"

Reaction score
I need a tablet that can handle the video feed from the drone. Currently I am getting lots of black areas while viewing the tablet I have now. that would be the nexus 7 2 gen. I am sending it back. I saw somewhere that the
NVIDIA - SHIELD K1 - 8" has a 2.2 gig processor.
Do you need GPS on your tablet for anything?
Any advice would be great.

Ron

The Nvidia Shield K1 does have a 2.2 GHz processor -- and, it works very well.

You only need GPS on the tablet if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Many people do not use either of those features.

The Nvidia Shield K1 does have a 2.2 GHz processor -- and, it works very well.

You only need GPS on the tablet if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Many people do not use either of those features.

Ok so those function are lost :(

I'm not sure what you mean. Why are they lost?

Right -- you cannot unless you use a device with a GPS receiver. Another option would be to use an external bluetooth GPS receiver -- like one of these.

Right -- you cannot unless you use a device with a GPS receiver. Another option would be to use an external bluetooth GPS receiver -- like one of these.
Ok well you gave me something to think about.
What if i just pulled out my phone when i wanted to use follw me? Would that work?

Yes.

Not from what I have read. GPS is not in that tabLET
Like most Android tablets, the Shield has GPS so you would still have access to those features.
Here's a screenshot of the Shield running GPS Status:
i-mkxVdQd-L.png

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
So if the tablet does not have a data connection (wifi or data plan) but it does have GPS, the follow-me feature and anything related to GPS will work? I was thinking of using a samsung note 10.1 2014 edition and my concern was being out and no where near wifi. Because of no wifi I thought it would be a better idea to use my Note 5 but I really want the bigger screen.

So if the tablet does not have a data connection (wifi or data plan) but it does have GPS, the follow-me feature and anything related to GPS will work? I was thinking of using a samsung note 10.1 2014 edition and my concern was being out and no where near wifi. Because of no wifi I thought it would be a better idea to use my Note 5 but I really want the bigger screen.

I have the Shield K1 (just arrived a few days ago) and Google Maps doesn't have an issue finding my location with wifi turned off. I would imagine this means the Shield's GPS feature does not rely on Wifi. Now with the Litchi magic leash app (where you can actively follow anyone with a phone with the tracker app installed), it does requires cell service on both phones for tracking. Also the Go app probably wont be able to show roads/maps etc in the bottom corner. Unless those images are cached on the tab beforehand, it will be just a blank canvas.

Last edited:
I feel for you. I started with my Ipad Wifi only to find I wasn't going to be able to use some features. I spent some time researching and looking at the list for the least expensive full-featured tablet. I finally said screw it and just bought an Ipad Air with cellular... No issues, no hassles...

GPS comes from the satellites up high in the sky, not from wifi or mobile phone signals.

The reason the poster mentioned wifi is that it's possible for a device to pull it's location from a known wifi signal. Google has mapped these when they drive their Street View vehicles around. So Google maps can know your location based on these wifi signals. Turning off wifi and the device knowing where you are shows that it's using GPS and not only wifi for your location. Hence, it has GPS.

Like most Android tablets, the Shield has GPS so you would still have access to those features.
Here's a screenshot of the Shield running GPS Status:
i-mkxVdQd-L.png
Is this the screen shot I would get using the Nvidia Shield K1 with the DJI GO app? Will it show lat/lon location? If so I am going out and buy the Shield.

Is this the screen shot I would get using the Nvidia Shield K1 with the DJI GO app? Will it show lat/lon location? If so I am going out and buy the Shield.
No ... it's a screenshot of a different app (GPS Status) which I put in to show that the Shield has fully functioning GPS.
The Shield will display the Go app just the same way any other Android tablet of that size does.

Reactions: nhoover

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic