Ok, I've got one for you....please help

Reaction score
What would cause my Black Pearl to stop showing GoPro image once I hit the button to start taking time lapse photos every half second....it did it at power on, after launch, after restart (GoPro and P2)....makes no sense...I have changed channels and that didn't do anything for it either. Any suggestions?

OI Photography said:
Gopro won't display video simultaneously unless you set the interval for the still pics at 5 sec or more

Are you certain?...This was working on Saturday....this is timelapse, not simultaneous video and photos....I was doing one sec pics above a group of us for a group shot.

ddublu said:
OI Photography said:
Gopro won't display video simultaneously unless you set the interval for the still pics at 5 sec or more

Are you certain?...This was working on Saturday....this is timelapse, not simultaneous video and photos....I was doing one sec pics above a group of us for a group shot.

I just tested it to be sure, and when doing just timed still pics (no video recording), the gopro doesn't output video when the timer is set that low. I discovered it will still output video when set to take pics every 2 sec, but the way the video drops out for a half sec every time a pic is taken means that's pretty much useless. I have mine set to shoot every 5 sec and the capture blackout is annoying but workable.

OI Photography said:
ddublu said:
OI Photography said:

I just tested it to be sure, and when doing just timed still pics (no video recording), the gopro doesn't output video when the timer is set that low. I discovered it will still output video when set to take pics every 2 sec, but the way the video drops out for a half sec every time a pic is taken means that's pretty much useless. I have mine set to shoot every 5 sec and the capture blackout is annoying but workable.

Wait, so that could explain my 1-2 second dropout with what I thought was interference...it could actually be the shot being taken on the GoPro? So optimal is 5+ secs for that or video, then....Problem solved...thanks!

Wouldn't it be better to set the resolution higher on the video (1440 or 2.7) and then save the frame you want as a still from your editing program?

jimandsue60 said:
Wouldn't it be better to set the resolution higher on the video (1440 or 2.7) and then save the frame you want as a still from your editing program?

That's a good question, .which I don't think anyone has really answered/compared in terms of image quality/compression.

However, the largest pic you can get from video (4k), is 8mp .. because it's a 16:9 format
but if you're ok with a 4096x2160 format image, you might be ok, especially if you shoot with Protune which offers some more control in post processing.

if you shoot regular photos at 16:9, it will save as a JPG that's already been processed with sharpening and stuff.

However, if you wish to shoot 4:3 images, the only format that' large enough for that is 1440, but that will result in imagines that are only half the size (1920x1440) of a 12mp image, which is 4000x3000.

--

I never want my GoPro going dark , plus I often enjoy the benefit of getting video when I'm shooting stills, so I always shoot Video+Stills. In which case I usually shoot 1080, because I'm ok with 16:9 stills.
but if I really want full size 12mp stills, I shoot 1440+stills, which results in the full 4000x3000 still images.

Gizmo3000 said:
jimandsue60 said:

That's a good question, .which I don't think anyone has really answered/compared in terms of image quality/compression.

However, the largest pic you can get from video (4k), is 8mp .. because it's a 16:9 format
but if you're ok with a 4096x2160 format image, you might be ok, especially if you shoot with Protune which offers some more control in post processing.

if you shoot regular photos at 16:9, it will save as a JPG that's already been processed with sharpening and stuff.

However, if you wish to shoot 4:3 images, the only format that' large enough for that is 1440, but that will result in imagines that are only half the size (1920x1440) of a 12mp image, which is 4000x3000.

--

I never want my GoPro going dark , plus I often enjoy the benefit of getting video when I'm shooting stills, so I always shoot Video+Stills. In which case I usually shoot 1080, because I'm ok with 16:9 stills.
but if I really want full size 12mp stills, I shoot 1440+stills, which results in the full 4000x3000 still images.

So what's the best route to take? I have always been a still photo kinda guy and am not afraid of video or post-processing but I HATE losing quality. I want to shoot in as high of quality as I can and then be in control of what happens after the fact. Protune hasn't even entered my picture yet just because I feel there is plenty of good data to work with already. If I want to take a group photo of folks on the beach with my P2, what would you suggest? The one thing I like about taking pics (vs. pulling image from video) is how I can quickly open the GoPro app and pull photos from it to my iPhone. Talk to me!

I assume you are using the go pro as your fpv camera? There is a solution but it will cost you more money! I am flying a 550 not a Phantom. I have my go pro set up as my fpv camera also. I wanted a little better image on my monitor screen so I purchased a Fat Shark 600 TVL cmos camera. It is tiny. I also ordered a video switching unit to switch between my go pro and the 600 tvl. My plan is when flying around is to use the 600 TVL and when I want to set up the shot switch to the go pro. I have it mounted above the Gopro for now. I have even mounted the 600TVL to the go pro on the gimbal and it worked fine. This may not be a solution for you as you are limited with you channels on your TX. Just another reason to spend more money. Just giving you some additional thoughts.

2145713_orig.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik