Ok, I'll admit it, I flew over houses today

Reaction score
I'm uploading the video now, going to take awhile, its a big one, but worth viewing. I decided to fly into a new part of Palo Duro Canyon I had never explored before, and to give viewers something different to look at. Little did I know when I was 2 miles away that I would find a housing development on the rim of the canyon. I handled it like I hope someone would do with the airspace above my house anyway. Will update when I post the video and give the times so you don't have to watch the full 14 minutes (even though its worth it and you should!) Thanks.

Joel

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
I know some of you are asking why the hell would I post about flying over someone's house and the reason is I'm a staunch supporter of property rights and have always said avoid flying over people or houses if you can. It sure would save a lot of bad press if everyone believed the same. But I was caught in the situation and just wanted to show how I handled it. Plus some pretty scenery along the way.

Reactions: Carlo Napoli
I'm uploading the video now, going to take awhile, its a big one, but worth viewing. I decided to fly into a new part of Palo Duro Canyon I had never explored before, and to give viewers something different to look at. Little did I know when I was 2 miles away that I would find a housing development on the rim of the canyon. I handled it like I hope someone would do with the airspace above my house anyway. Will update when I post the video and give the times so you don't have to watch the full 14 minutes (even though its worth it and you should!) Thanks.

Joel
What antenna you flying with at 2mile what you got it set to in NAZA software

I'd have to look, I'm not sure what I have it set to, but I'm using a simple copper Wind Surfer. Never had a loss of signal, lag or even a drop on the status strength bars.

I just tried my new copper windsurfers the other day and was pretty impressed. I did notice that you really have to aim them correctly. At times I would have 90-100% then it would drop to less than 20% instantly.

Ideal I'm glad you reply back what aircraft is it ?
Any links for this aerial and what was it like to fit
I'd love to see the video

I'd have to look, I'm not sure what I have it set to, but I'm using a simple copper Wind Surfer. Never had a loss of signal, lag or even a drop on the status strength bars.
Post me a link mate to what your running was it a easy install ?
You o. A fc49

Ideal I'm glad you reply back what aircraft is it ?
Any links for this aerial and what was it like to fit
I'd love to see the video

I'll have the video up in an hour or so. Thanks! I'm flying the Phantom 4. Everything is stock, haven't modified it in anyway.

I just tried my new copper windsurfers the other day and was pretty impressed. I did notice that you really have to aim them correctly. At times I would have 90-100% then it would drop to less than 20% instantly.

Is copper any better than the aluminum ones? I have the latter and although pleased with the P3, not so with the P4.

Yeah I heard they were the same, I think it boils down to the design and quality of the workmanship. My foil ones do not seem that well built and are not as tall as the copper ones.

You are right about being pointed in the right direction for sure. One day I was less than 100 ft up and out and kept getting weak transmission signal. Turns out I forgot to point the WindSurfer up.

I read that the best reflector on a windsurfer is 1 gold, 2 silver, 3 copper, 4 aluminum and yes the specs are close. It would be nice if GO app had a azimuth type pointer to help aim at our birds. If you use the hdmi in headplay googles you have the azimuth angle of where your bird is in relation to you. I don't see it on my tablet, am I missing something?

I read that the best reflector on a windsurfer is 1 gold, 2 silver, 3 copper, 4 aluminum and yes the specs are close. It would be nice if GO app had a azimuth type pointer to help aim at our birds. If you use the hdmi in headplay googles you have the azimuth angle of where your bird is in relation to you. I don't see it on my tablet, am I missing something?

No, we only have the gimbal in the corner, I've learned to roll my tablet at a high angle, or aggressively roll it around to calibrate its internal compass, once that's done my devices at least show relative to actual location, it's pretty accurate but I've seen better, like you mentioned, like a line that goes from you to craft in the HUD, there is 1000 ways to do it, some better then others, I would like to see a big facelift on the apps, need to change the numerical Height and Horizontal speed indicators into a dual mode number/circle graph like the IPads have for android, or similar at least.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know some of you are asking why the hell would I post about flying over someone's house and the reason is I'm a staunch supporter of property rights and have always said avoid flying over people or houses if you can. It sure would save a lot of bad press if everyone believed the same. But I was caught in the situation and just wanted to show how I handled it. Plus some pretty scenery along the way.

not everyone lives in open areas or has access to open areas. some people have to fly over houses to get to where they want to get to. So What is your minimum height limit for flying over someone's house?

Reactions: JWarren
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't want to get any lower than I did in the video, 150ft I suppose. I have to drive 20 minutes to get to that spot, but I don't see how you city guys do it, I'd be a nervous wreck.

Reactions: Zuzua
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't want to get any lower than I did in the video, 150ft I suppose. I have to drive 20 minutes to get to that spot, but I don't see how you city guys do it, I'd be a nervous wreck.

Actually I live in the country, but even here, unless you one has some acreage, you will end up flying over somebody's house at some time. Even with acreage you will end up doing the same thing.
I personally don't care if some one flies over my house with 1' to spare but that's just me, I don't feel my privacy is being invaded, now if the quad just hovers there at my daughter's window it would be a different story. Realistically some perv probably would use long range binoculars.

Any ways back to height, I take off from the front of my house on the lawn and go directly up to 200' and then fly over a couple houses to an open field and then again over a sub division and finally over the river where I like to take pictures.
I don't suffer fools too well, so I try to minimize any reason for some one to act ignorant as I like my freedom too much. I just think with time people are not going to act so scared of their privacy being invaded by these types of drones, but mean while it would be best to minimize negative contract as much as possible.

Have fun

Reactions: JWarren
Nice video. As to avoiding flying over houses I would say many, probably most, of us don't have access to tens of thousands of acres of open land. Many of us wouldn't be flying at all if we insisted on never flying over a house. Your video is interesting because of the terrain. If the land is flat & tree-covered, it makes for a pretty boring scene.

Joel

Reactions: frands1 and JWarren

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj