Ok I had enough

Reaction score
I had enough of this DJI Crap.

I have had mu P2V for 1 and a half month, but out of that it have been for repair for a month, so I have only had around ten days where I actually could fly.
The Problem was I suddenly couldn't connect to the WiFi anymore and at the same time the camera was blurry in the left side.
I have been emailing them (Helipal) hundreds of times (Ok maybe not so many) and they have been nice and answered back every time, it was just very difficult to get them to understand what the problem was.
Anyway I finally got it back yesterday, and was of course eager to try it out.
Wooooohooooo I could connect to the Wifi ----- BUT ONLY A BLACK SCREEN FROM THE CAMERA :twisted:
I tried everything and ended up rebinding the WiFI extender with the Camera and got it to work again (on my desk).
Today I went out for a test flight and shiiiiit Black screen again! Tried everything and ended up taking the power cable out of the camera a couple of times and got it to work again.
After flying one battery and after shifting to a new, same happend again. One more time fiddling with the Power cable and got it to work again, maybe a loose connection or something.

But but but all the time I have been waiting to get it back from repair I have been following the post about the new gimbals because I also want one. I have been a professional for 25 Years and kind of new that I would never be happy with the quality of the camera. So what should I do put $400-800 more into the phantom just for a Gimbal but still have that crap Photoquality, noway, but I was close to do it :!:
So after convincing my wife that would be a bad Idea :cool: I ended up and took a decision. I want a more professional platform where you can choose from many gimbals and put (nearly) whatever camera on.
So I ended up buying this one:

This Gimbal:

This Controller:

A Sony NEX5R Camera - Fantastic quality

A full FPV System with full control of the camera from the ground :geek:
And of course everything else needed to get it up flying.
I should have it within a week or so. (difficult to wait)
I have got the camera yesterday and tried it out today, it just blowing the Vision camera away.
By the you can change lenses on the camera which is great.
I'm not sure If I should sell my PV2 or keep it as a spare or just for fun.
Just thought I would share this with you guys. It have been a great place and I have learned a lot from you guys, so thanks for that.
But I'm still here - I still have a Phantom :cool:

Attachments

• arris-m680-carbon-fiber-hexa-copter-rtf-w-naza-m-v2-assembled-3.gif.jpg
    arris-m680-carbon-fiber-hexa-copter-rtf-w-naza-m-v2-assembled-3.gif.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,038
  • arris-zhaoyun-3-axis-brushless-gimbal-for-sony-nex5-nex7-canon-eos-m-11.gif.jpg
    arris-zhaoyun-3-axis-brushless-gimbal-for-sony-nex5-nex7-canon-eos-m-11.gif.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 2,390
  • yhst-90268561309754_2268_518019928.jpg
    yhst-90268561309754_2268_518019928.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,923
That's a very smart-looking pro rig.

If you need the cash, sell your Vision (or perhaps get a refund as they have failed to fix it?). If you enjoy just buzzing around and don't want to risk the "pro" rig and camera for just recreational flights then maybe keep it.

Good luck, either way! :)

You've been driven to do now, what I'd like to do in 6-12 months - add a more professional setup to my hangar.

It's great that you have camera view from the ground. That's a huge feature for me.

Good luck with the new copter, and with a fix for the vision.
I am also tossing up whether to get the gimbal or use stabilizing software in post.

Can you tell us what your setup cost?

Were you also considering one of the DJI competitors like the S800 or s1000?

Can the camera be controlled by someone else while the pilot concentrates on flying?

El Rey said:
You've been driven to do now, what I'd like to do in 6-12 months - add a more professional setup to my hangar.

It's great that you have camera view from the ground. That's a huge feature for me.

Good luck with the new copter, and with a fix for the vision.
I am also tossing up whether to get the gimbal or use stabilizing software in post.

Can you tell us what your setup cost?

Were you also considering one of the DJI competitors like the S800 or s1000?

Can the camera be controlled by someone else while the pilot concentrates on flying?

Hi
Around $4500 with everything including the camera with 2 lenses.
Good thing is, that I can also use the camera as a normal camera when Im not flying. It's a great little camera.
No with this setup You can only control the camera from the Radio. But I prefer that, Im the photographer :cool: Just trying a new way of taking photos (as so many others)
The Gimbal can turn 360degree up and down and 360 degrees horizontal.
Yes I was looking at DJI S800 but that is way more expensive when you add everything. And my experience with DJI products haven't been the best.
And I have been looking at many others but they all ended up way more expensive.
So lets see how its going when I get everything ready and up flying.

Nice kit Klaus, congratulations! Can't wait to hear your first experiences with it, and I totally understand about experiences with DJI. A shame really, there's a few brilliant guys behind the old DJI including a college professor and a team of smart students who are challenged to solve complex problems. The results have been groundbreaking & remarkable and implementation in product very good, however the post-manufacture customer relations & support machine is piss poor as too many of us have come to realize first-hand. I wish them well, and would love to see it all get fixed, but like you will look to other manufacturers until then.

iDrone

Nice one, Klaus!

So DJI has driven you away.... from their entry level set... and squeezed more of your dough for one of their higher end model, eh? ;) At least it's got everything about DJI that you seem to love (or tolerate) and none of the bad parts... (except size, if you travel) :mrgreen:

Please keep us updated of this new poison...

Congrats - that looks awesome. I am going to do the same thing (not sure which model) but not for some months. I'll see how it looks after say 100 flights (assuming I don't crash - none so far). Guess it would be cool to have the more portable P2V for travel. No, that's not right - I started this whole thing to get photos and it's camera is simply crap. Where did you buy?

Funny to read this because i did it the other way and i am very happy with the plug and play PV

I have my Hexacopter on the wall as a piece of art but i wont fly it anymore or maybe when i forgot about all the problems you can have with a self build multi-rotor, i might fly it again because i know it is stable as a rock.

Sorry to hear that you have problems with your copy of the PV.

nhoover said:
Congrats - that looks awesome. I am going to do the same thing (not sure which model) but not for some months. I'll see how it looks after say 100 flights (assuming I don't crash - none so far). Guess it would be cool to have the more portable P2V for travel. No, that's not right - I started this whole thing to get photos and it's camera is simply crap. Where did you buy?

Thanks.
I bought it here:
http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-m680-naza-vw-rtf.html

Yes I also started the whole thing for the Photos, but I should have know better, but you know you get carried away by all that new stuff :(
I don't even know what I was thinking about, because my initial plan (and what I said to my Wife to convince her) was, that I could use it for Real Estate Photos and so on. Even if the photos was ok, it would be like showing up for professional Wedding Photography with a Mobile phone as the Camera, nobody would take you serious. It look like a toy, and it is more a Toy than for serious Photography.
The Photos I took for testing Yesterday, actually came out ok as long as you don't see them in 100% view. They can be used for Websites and small print. That was the first time I was able to shoot in Raw, because my PV2 was send away for rep. before we got the update for Raw Photos. They are not fantastic but are better than the JPG's.

By the way this one could be a solution if the money are the problem. It have everything you need except for the camera for only $1999.
http://www.hobby-wing.com/xaircraft-x650-w-naza-rtf.html

Hi Klaus, I might be ready to upgrade sometime soon.

The arris m680 is an interesting option...I've also been looking at the yuneec hx3...soon to be released. It seems more turnkey.....and longer flight times....but still unproven.

On the m680, do you have:

- FPV ? Display?
- telemetry ?
- what is the range for control and FPV?
- is it really only 10-15 minute flight time
- video and photos?
- 2 or 3 axis gimbal?
- how does it fly?
- what camera did you go with?

Thanks in advance! Dave

nhoover said:

What other makes/models have you explored? I am in the same boat....arris 680...or also looking at the flying eyes hx3

Sledge said:

The arris m680 is an interesting option...I've also been looking at the yuneec hx3...soon to be released. It seems more turnkey.....and longer flight times....but still unproven.

- FPV ? Display?
- telemetry ?
- video and photos?
- 2 or 3 axis gimbal?
- how does it fly?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Hi Sledge
Yes I have also looked at yuneec hx3, really nice design, but a little more difficult to extra stuff on it. And I couldn't wait to it would be released and tried out so you could read some reviews.
And I have have been looking at nearly anything i could find on the net.

In the beginning I was actually looking for other Quad copters, but I realized soon that if you want to be able to carry a good Gimbal and a good camera (not GoPro) then you have to step it up to at least a Hexa copter. I was afraid to make the same mistake again, buying to small and limited. When you have a frame like this you can actually put anything on it.
Example for $265 I can put Retractable landing skids on, which is great for the Gimbal I have bought, because it can turn around 360 degrees and also up and down 360 degrees. So I can actually take photo from behind or from the sides, but normally you would then have problems seeing the landing legs in the photos.
Take a look here:
http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-simple-retractable-landing-skid.html

- 2 or 3 axis gimbal?
3 Axis

- FPV ? Display?
Yes I also got a full FPV set. I bought this monitor, which have built in receiver, which is great, because when its mounted on your radio you don't have that external receiver and its all cluttered up.

- telemetry ?
And yes of course Telemetry :cool: It's taken care of with a IOSD Mini.
- video and photos?
Yes both Video and Photos with my Sony NEX5R - Great quality and you can change the lens to whatever you want.
Try to google it, you can't find a bad review :D
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it would be ok for me because my plan with the photography is not to fly so far away, take Real Estate photos and that kind of stuff.

Yes depending on your batteries you only 10-12 mins. out of a 5000MHA Battery. But already now you can get 10000MHA Batteries. But 10mins is quite good a Hexacopter, a lot of them are down to around 8mins. But it all depends of the weight and what you are putting on. So you just have to buy some extra batteries.
- how does it fly?
Ha ha don't know yet I haven't got it yet, but it should be very stable.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Attachments

• feelworld-7-inch-wireless-fpv-dvr-monitor-w-built-in-5-8ghz-receiver-10.gif.jpg
    feelworld-7-inch-wireless-fpv-dvr-monitor-w-built-in-5-8ghz-receiver-10.gif.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,111
I'll be very interested to hear your feedback once you're able to give it a good shakedown. That's one of the platforms I looked at in addition to the Tarot 690 and a few others, before I decided to start with a 550 for now and see how far I can push it.

I'll be putting up a NEX5 soon too, once I decide on the gimbal and figure out which airframe to use. If I move to a 6S setup though, I may skip straight ahead to something in the 800+ class (probably a Tarot 810 rather than an S800).

I'm looking at the gimbal you got, and this one as well: http://www.uavobjects.com/product/asp-3 ... ontroller/

I am a retired pro photographer with over 35 years in the studio business. I earned my Masters Degree from Professional Photographers of America and was named twice photographer of the year at the Virginia Professional Photographers Assoc. I hold 5 Kodak Gallery Awards plus many other best of shows at the Southeastern Professional Photographers Assoc. I have paid my dues and was one of the first pro studios in the state to go total digital. Back then there were no Photoshop for Dummies, you learned by the seat of your pants. I always delivered a quality product with the best equipment on the market. After my retirement 3 years ago I got totally bored so purchased the Phantom 2 Vision last year. Yes, the Vision camera has its drawbacks and quality issues, but for still photography it is amazing....on large jpeg setting I get great results with gallery wrap prints made to 48"x33" with crisp and sharp detail. I also do video clips for web sites and digital presentations for my old higher end clients. The video from the Vision is not pro quality but good. I have a Sony Nex 7 and it produces tack sharp stills and pro quality video at 24.5 MP. The problem is that I have several shoots coming up that require high end video to be shown to technology clients leasing an energy center space. I am also looking at a larger rig to carry my Nex 7 with all the FPV goodies with full camera control and a 3 axis gyro gimbal, 10" monitor, extra battery, props and some other goodies. When the shoots get on the books in a couple of weeks, I will make the plunge. I got a quote form Wow Hobbies in Ca. where they will assemble the whole thing, test fly it and utilize all the functions. It is a CineWing 6 HL. They will also send me a video of the test flights. All total is is around 10 grand....which is mega bucks..but to deliver the pro quality and charge top rates it is almost a must. If I do purchase it..it will stay at home for a documentary on a 100' sailboat sailing form Grenada to St. Lucia and back for two weeks I have booked in May. It will not go in the sea, nor I after it! Good luck on your new purchase and am sure that your made the right move to a higher level. My best.

Sorry I forgot to attach the jpeg image with Vision camera.

Attachments

• Holiday Inn - Phoenix Downtown North.jpg
    Holiday Inn - Phoenix Downtown North.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 905
Wow hobbies took 3 months to get my gimbal working. Make sure they test your whole system including monitor and FPV. My monitor arrived with a stripped mount. There was no video converter or Nex camera cable. The gimbal detached during shipping-the screws were in the magnetic windings. The gimbal board was broken. They won't even answer my emails now. The Matrix is awesome. Otherwise I would have given up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on Wow Hobbies, I am not sold on them and know I have other options to order the Cinewing with what I need. Still looking and Thanks again.

Are there other dealers for Turbo Ace? Any other support? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Klaus said:
Sledge said:

- FPV ? Display?
- telemetry ?
- video and photos?
- 2 or 3 axis gimbal?
- how does it fly?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Hi Sledge
Yes I have also looked at yuneec hx3, really nice design, but a little more difficult to extra stuff on it. And I couldn't wait to it would be released and tried out so you could read some reviews.
And I have have been looking at nearly anything i could find on the net.

In the beginning I was actually looking for other Quad copters, but I realized soon that if you want to be able to carry a good Gimbal and a good camera (not GoPro) then you have to step it up to at least a Hexa copter. I was afraid to make the same mistake again, buying to small and limited. When you have a frame like this you can actually put anything on it.
Example for $265 I can put Retractable landing skids on, which is great for the Gimbal I have bought, because it can turn around 360 degrees and also up and down 360 degrees. So I can actually take photo from behind or from the sides, but normally you would then have problems seeing the landing legs in the photos.
Take a look here:
http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-simple-retractable-landing-skid.html

- 2 or 3 axis gimbal?
3 Axis

- FPV ? Display?
Yes I also got a full FPV set. I bought this monitor, which have built in receiver, which is great, because when its mounted on your radio you don't have that external receiver and its all cluttered up.

- telemetry ?
And yes of course Telemetry :cool: It's taken care of with a IOSD Mini.
- video and photos?
Yes both Video and Photos with my Sony NEX5R - Great quality and you can change the lens to whatever you want.
Try to google it, you can't find a bad review :D
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it would be ok for me because my plan with the photography is not to fly so far away, take Real Estate photos and that kind of stuff.

Yes depending on your batteries you only 10-12 mins. out of a 5000MHA Battery. But already now you can get 10000MHA Batteries. But 10mins is quite good a Hexacopter, a lot of them are down to around 8mins. But it all depends of the weight and what you are putting on. So you just have to buy some extra batteries.
- how does it fly?
Ha ha don't know yet I haven't got it yet, but it should be very stable.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Thanks Klaus...sounds really nice! I will be interested I hearing how it flies and seeing some footage and stills. I like all the specs....except for the flight times. Is the FPV using the main camera, or is there a second camera? Also interested in learning the range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4